18" wheels

-

scampy72

Reaction score
Anybody have pics of 18s on an a body?Preferably a dart or scamp. Just want to see how theyou fill out

18x8.75
not a dart though

b7b0b68b5dcf46a76db0a698fa275010.jpg

3467bdfa55b9a26c23b948d600dd4211.jpg

My '74 Duster/'71 demon tribute. 18x9's with 275/35/18's up front, 18x10's with 295/35/18's in the back.

IMG_2484a_zpscao5szar.jpg

IMG_2992_zps0wh93s2y.jpg

Beautiful blu! Same question though, any modifications to fit them height wise? I'm guessing you tabbed it to fit the width in the rear but did you add any extra height too?

No extra height, the car is lowered almost 2" in the front compared to stock. All of the modifications were to fit the wide 275's, with a narrower tire nothing would have been necessary. The width of the tires meant I had to trim the lip on the back of the front fender wheel opening, and I extended the fender to bumper brace to push the front corner out further. I also run tubular UCA's to clear the 9" wide front rim at full lock. But all of that was because of the tire width. Even with a 245 up front none of that would have been necessary.

The car is not tubbed, I have a 1/2" spring offset kit installed and about a 1/2" trimmed from the quarter lips, but the wheel tubs are stock. You don't have that much room on a dart though.

As long as you keep your front tire height at or below 26" not much is needed for modifications, it depends more on the tire width and backspacing below that.

Beautiful blu! Same question though, any modifications to fit them height wise? I'm guessing you tabbed it to fit the width in the rear but did you add any extra height too?

dia. of the wheel really doesn't matter for fitment as long as the tire size is correct.. you can have a 26" tall 15" tire and you can have a 26" tall 20 inch tire..

I use a set of 2005 magnum 18" rims on my 73 duster. On the rear the stock rims and tires fit but I have a little bit wider the normal a body axle so that the deeply in set rims don't come in and touch the leaf springs which could be a problem with a stock with rear axle it may need a little bit of spacing. as stated the front need a smaller Tire and either a three-quarter inch spacer or have the center of the rim bugged out because the old style hub is deeper and bigger, but the bolt pattern is the same.
20140519_203048.jpg

Thanks! Love that look, did you need to modify anything to fit them

Not so much modify as careful selection of parts. My front end has tubular uppers and a first gen viper brake kit from AR engineering which uses drum brake spindles. They provide a narrower track width than the mopar disc spindles and allow this tire/wheel setup without any cutting necessary or rubbing at full lock.
The back has a roadrunner rear end which is wider than the A body unit allowing the 6.25" backspace on the wheels. Otherwise just some careful peen work inside the fenderwell so that I could lower it and its all good! I knew a 9" wheel wouldn't fit, hence the somewhat odd size of 8.75x18
Tires are BFG 245/40 and 255/40 respectively.

Well personally I just got one hell of a deal getting the rims and 90% tires for $200. I just couldn't pass it up and was very happy to see the back rims and tires went on with no problem and I just went to a used tire shop and bought a nice set of tires that would fit under the front and actually what I did was got some 5 on 4 & a half to 5 on 4 & a half adopters for the front instead of trying to space them out with long lug nuts or hog out the rims which is something I may do in the future actually. How about that for one big long sentence?

My Dart with 255/40/18's and the perfect offsets to center the wheels in the housing. Still need to roll the fenders though. Once done (and with some offset shackles) I could probably fit 275/35/18's on all 4 corners.

20150409_090313.jpg

I use a set of 2005 magnum 18" rims on my 73 duster. On the rear the stock rims and tires fit but I have a little bit wider the normal a body axle so that the deeply in set rims don't come in and touch the leaf springs which could be a problem with a stock with rear axle it may need a little bit of spacing. as stated the front need a smaller Tire and either a three-quarter inch spacer or have the center of the rim bugged out because the old style hub is deeper and bigger, but the bolt pattern is the same.
View attachment 1714933559
that was then and this is now. I just plasti dipped them.
20160528_174319-1.jpg

You all must live somewhere that doesn't have potholes! I gave up on having 50 series tires by 1990, having had to pound out bent steel rims straight again a few times.
How do you put broken cast rims back together?

You all must live somewhere that doesn't have potholes! I gave up on having 50 series tires by 1990, having had to pound out bent steel rims straight again a few times.
How do you put broken cast rims back together?

Yeah right. California has the 7th worst roads in the entire country. I drive my Duster close to 10k miles a year now, have put 60k+ miles on my Challenger with 17" wheels and 275/40/17's, and I've never had a problem with the rims. How do you think new car manage?

The 18x9's on the front of my Duster are +35, but I have 13" dr. Diff rotors that add about 5mm to the track width. I also run 3mm spacers, so my "effective" offset is +27mm if you're comparing to a stock 73+ disk suspension.

The 18x10's in the rear are +38mm, but I have a 1/2" Dr. Diff spring offset, a 68-70 B body 8 3/4, and I cut a 1/2" off the quarter lip to fit the 295's.

I hear about broken rims frequently here in Chicago, and I see all the new cars with super low profile tires creeping ever so slowly across the tiniest of bumps.

I hear about broken rims frequently here in Chicago, and I see all the new cars with super low profile tires creeping ever so slowly across the tiniest of bumps.

Like I said, never broken a rim. And I don't "creep" around anything. Now, I don't hammer giant pot holes if I can avoid them either, but I don't drive around like I'm afraid of breaking anything. And my Duster is my daily driver, and my challenger with 17" rims was my daily for years before that.

Broken & bent rims?
I drive 30-35k miles a year and have always have wide low profile tires on my cars, even in the winter, for the past 25 years. (We are talking less the 2" side wall). I've never broke or bent a rim here in Michigan.

Michigan has great roads compared to Chicago. The only places I've seen that compare with Chicago are Gary Indiana, or Jersey City New Jersey.
People hit potholes here, wreck and DIE.

-
Back