19 Dead in fire Bronx NY

-
Don’t like reading these types of things. Prayers For all involved and the families that have experienced loss.

From what I've read on this the city bears a lot of responsibility. They "owned" it I believe..............Exits? Sprinklers? Alarms?

Just terrible. I read something about a lack of oxygen?

From what I've read on this the city bears a lot of responsibility. They "owned" it I believe..............Exits? Sprinklers? Alarms?
I don't know about the exits and sprinklers but they said the alarms were blaring in the background when the 911 calls came in.

I believe there are fire alarms and of course there are marked exits. Sprinklers I dont know
The single biggest factor was not the fire, that was contained to the one apartment as ive read.
When the residents fled that apartment they did not shut the door, the smoke filled the building
They say that the deaths were smoke inhalation

I've been working in the fire alarm/life safety industry for 30 years. From what I've read so far most if not all of the deaths were due to smoke inhalation. It would appear that the doors to the unit where the fire started did not automatically close. I don't claim to know all the codes and standards across the US but I would be very surprised if automatic door closers weren't a requirement on the exterior doors at the units. Likely broken or improperly maintained. Considering the construction would have required firewalls all the way around the units had the door closers been in place and functioned properly likely no one would have died. At least that's based on what I've heard so far. Absolutely terrible and preventable.

I've been working in the fire alarm/life safety industry for 30 years. From what I've read so far most if not all of the deaths were due to smoke inhalation. It would appear that the doors to the unit where the fire started did not automatically close. I don't claim to know all the codes and standards across the US but I would be very surprised if automatic door closers weren't a requirement on the exterior doors at the units. Likely broken or improperly maintained. Considering the construction would have required firewalls all the way around the units had the door closers been in place and functioned properly likely no one would have died. At least that's based on what I've heard so far. Absolutely terrible and preventable.
In all your years in the industry how many times have you seen panic bars that were disabled, doors held open with wedges or other items, crap stacked in front of exit doors, or smoke detector batteries stolen?

Many times I go into apartments with those self closing doors and they are either propped open, or they LOCK WHEN CLOSED from one side, ie doors to stairwells. I have been trapped in stairwells going from one floor to another and its total bullshit when I have to wait for someone to open the door for me from the other side, I have to call the subs cell phone to let me out or I have to go all the way down to Floor one to get out. And dont get me started on underground parking either. Ive been stuck down there for 30 minutes once as there are no pedestrian exits and only keycard/remote controlled enteranc OR exits! I even resorted to rolling a dumpster in front of the gate to emulate a car but they are not magnetic. That's gotta be a HUD violation? Chirping fire alarms are a given.......Oh and my all time favorite: chained doors to the outside on halfway houses or group homes. I should take pics and send to HUD (housing and urban development)

-
Back