1961 170 Slant Six

-

JDDart

Reaction score
Ok here we go. I have a 1961 170 slant six from a Dodge Lancer. My daughter and I rebuilt the motor, 904 tranny and are trying to squeeze it into a 1966 Plymouth Valiant that had a 170 from the factory that was long gone when we got it. My question is the 1961 170 was missing the original oil pan, but the dude had one laying around his shop, that he included. This oil pan has the number 987 stamped from the inside out on it. This motor won't clear the frame or the motor mounts won't line up. Is this the correct oil pan or do I need another as I have heard. Help me out guys, my daughter is driving me crazy. Thanks in advance.

Ok here we go. I have a 1961 170 slant six from a Dodge Lancer. My daughter and I rebuilt the motor, 904 tranny and are trying to squeeze it into a 1966 Plymouth Valiant that had a 170 from the factory that was long gone when we got it. My question is the 1961 170 was missing the original oil pan, but the dude had one laying around his shop, that he included. This oil pan has the number 987 stamped from the inside out on it. This motor won't clear the frame or the motor mounts won't line up. Is this the correct oil pan or do I need another as I have heard. Help me out guys, my daughter is driving me crazy. Thanks in advance.

This might be helpful to you. It appears the 987 pan is for the 67 and up cars and will not work for you. However, there are other pans listed there and I believe you can at least find the right one so you can know what to look for. I actually have a slant six oil pan but I don't know which one. I will go look in a bit and let you know.

Oil Pan Changes For A Body Slants - Slant Six Forum

64-66 are very shallow over K. 987 is #2 see how forward the sump is and deeper step

oilpans.jpg

The pan I have has "265" stamped on the bottom. I've looked and cannot find what that fits. Maybe someone else will know.

Thanks so far from everyone. Any ideas or answers as in part number or availability. Again kudos. Cheers!!

While you are looking for the pan, do you have the right motor mounts? You will need the 63-66 style mounts as well.

You will also need a pick up tube to match the oil pan and they are not made any more so You will need a used one.

-
Back