1961 Valiant Wagon

Members Restorations

1. shimos

shimos Member

Local Time:
    3:44 PM
    I thought I would join up and share. My main area of interest with Mopars is the 1960-62 Valiants and 61-62 Lancers.
    I do have a couple of other vehicles with big block motors from another manufacturer but they aren't suited to this forum.
    Over time I will share images of what I have stashed away...For now I would like to share images of my 1961 Plymouth Valiant Wagon.

I first purchased a 61 V200 Valiant wagon in 1996 and dragged it home. It was pretty rough. Needed replacement guards and a whole new floor pan. The tailgate was shot and what was left of the interior was pretty sad at best. But I was pretty "bright eyed" at the time and thought I can tackle this. Seven years later I havent started any restoration on it yet. (Mainly because I was working on a 61 Valiant Hardtop)

In 2003 on the way to Portland airport I came across another 61 Wagon. It was running, but it ran rough. In fairly good condition and the owner wanted to sell. She was looking for a mid 80's Mercedes wagon to buy and needed to sell. I was out of town for a while but called her a few times to discuss the wagon. After a while and $500 later it was mine. I sold off the wagon I had and I organized the recent purchase to be delivered to my place.

It still took me a few years to getting around to start restoring it. I wanted to collect a few oddball parts and bits for it. Work got in the way some years. Other cars got in the way. Family health got in the way. Life got in the way.. But I kept at the small things where I could. In November 2017, I got it painted. Now a lot of things are finished. But I need to start putting it all back together.

I hope to show images of putting it back together (along with other pictures of interest).
    My main goal with this wagon is to a period correct (Where possible) restoration. Something most people would never bother with, with a Valiant. But hey I have always been a bit oddball myself.

valiant.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • shimos

shimos Member

Local Time:
      After a few years of having the wagon I was pulling bits off. Repairing those bits and trial fitting them back on. The roof rack came off a Dart from a Mopar yard in Montana and was trial fitted to roof. It was lined up and holes were drilled. An Australian S-Series sunvisor was fitted and looked good. But at this stage the roof holes have not been drilled. I am forever deciding if I should fit this item. In this image the unibody was blasted and epoxy primed. The front guards had the headlight buckets replaced. Then front fender spear holes were drilled into the top of the guards. Luckily my sister has a 1960 Valiant wagon with these on them so I took measurements from her wagon

Shimewag001.jpg

• Like Like x 3
      • memike

memike Super Moderator Staff Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        2:44 AM
        That visor would be a must if I had it, love this long top Plymouth you are building.
        Keep us updated on every move :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
        • searcher1990

searcher1990 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
          12:44 AM
          it looks like you know what your doing to me. I'm not sure I would keep the visor but you see them on cars all the time so what do I know. if you like it keep it. What part of Oregon are you in? I'm in Saint Helens.

• shimos

shimos Member

Local Time:
          Here is a picture of my sisters 1960 wagon with the chrome front fender spears. In the parts books the spears were offered for 60/61 Valiants. And a image I found on the net with a similar roof rack as mine. As far as I can tell two styles of roof rack were offered for the 1961 Valiants.

v200 wagon AB.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-05-04 at 10.39.32 AM.png

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
          • Like Like x 3
          • shimos

shimos Member

Local Time:
            At the moment I am on the west coast of Australia. When I am in Oregon I am in SE Portland.

• Like Like x 2
            • Alaskan_TA

Alaskan_TA Well-Known Member

Local Time:
              3:44 AM
              I'd skip the visor myself, it looks goofy & out of place to me?

There is also a 4-door Mopar forum on Facebook if you use it?

If so, here is a link;

4-Door Mopar Drivers Only

• 69conv

69conv leaky gasket FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
              Absolutely love the character of the body lines. I can see why it snagged your attention. BTW welcome, you will fit in nicely with us other oddballs!

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • MOPAROFFICIAL

MOPAROFFICIAL Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                12:44 AM
                I love the wagons, wish I could find one.

I have a white '62 valiant 200 with an aluminum 225 though... red interior. I still have to restore it.

• Like Like x 1
                • 65dartcharger

65dartcharger FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
                  8:44 AM
                  I used to go parts hunting on Swedetown road in Longview back in the late 90ies/early 2000.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Hyper_pak

Hyper_pak Old School Chrysler Fan

Local Time:
                    Shimos, thanks for sharing these images. Is your sisters wagon an early 60? I see bright trim around the front window. That was early 60, I have never seen one in person. The roof racks are cool, but I could never drill my roof! Good luck with your 61 project, there are so many 60 and 61 only parts that are very hard to get. I am kinda glad I got a 62 and made it look like a 61!

• shimos

shimos Member

Local Time:
                    It does look like it has the stainless on the front windshield. But its just a really bright piece of the mylar strip. I know the pieces your talking about. I have a full set for a rear sedan/Hardtop and 5 of the 6 front pieces. But I dont have the front or rear rubber seal.... Yet !!! one day it will show up... I hope..
                    I question my sanity sometimes about doing this 61 Valiant the way I am doing it. Even the bolts have a different stamping on them to a 62 Valiant. But that was the goal for this car. As much as possible 60-61 period correct. Except for the front brakes. They will be disc brakes off a 66 Valiant.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
                  • shimos

shimos Member

Local Time:
                    Motor looks Great! A couple of questions, why the high alternator mount? Is the strap running from the intake to the motor mount stock?

Hyper_pak, I thought I would answer your question on this thread as I didnt want to steer away from the thread it was in as it was more related to my wagon.

The high Alternator mount is because the wagon has the 1960 power steering option.
                    My wagon was built in early November 1960. But is the 1961 model. So I am allowing the tale end of 1960 parts to go on it. It did mean I had to find the Power steering thermostat housing and brackets to go with it all. Then once I bolted up the alternator I learnt that the 1960 water pump pulley was slightly different for 1960 only. Yikes you change one thing and a stack of other little things need changing as well.

The Strap on the intake to engine mount was used from this picture. I have the early engine mounts so it was alot easier to bolt it in.
                    Their is a guy in NY state running a original Hyperpak in his 61 Valiant hardtop. Beautiful car. When I drove it it didnt feel like a Valiant and it drove so well. He also used the Manifold to engine mount strap.

HP strap.jpg

• shimos

shimos Member

Local Time:
                    Just sitting in the corner. Checking bits that fit or dont fit.

61 wagon early.jpg

• Like Like x 1
                    1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
                      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.