1962 Dodge lancer

-

rmazess

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
ok so i just picked up an early a. 62 lancer.. 170 auto. i have restored many later a bodies 1967-1972 not sure if i wanna swap a v8 or a bigger /6 any suggestions.. i have access to newer /6 and 318 or 360 but i want to keep the pushbutton(that part is new to me)

cannot change to a v-8 with out a v-8 tranny.

the later style post 68 slant will require a bushing for the crank pilot so you small converter snout will engage the crank. Swap the oil pan & pick from the 170 & put in a 225 & go. Lawrence

the motor i have is from the late 80's /6 so the oil pan and pickup tube, manifold etc linkage all swap from the 170 to the 225.?.. where might i find a pilot bushing.. i hate sounding dumb.. but the /6 is new to me.. been a member of the v8 old school kinda guy forever.. thanks

I think Charlie S has them, he should chime in. If you want to go V8 you need a 64 273 pushbutton 904 trans to keep the push buttons. You will have to mod the firewall to clear the dist.

this should work. car looks like it was brush painted..

Attachments

• IMAG0421.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 570
  • IMAG0424.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 560
Unless someone has changed a ton of parts that is a 1962 Lancer. Real different from a 61 underneath and on the inside.

Looks solid. Post interior and engine pics when you get a chance. That will make a SWEET driver!!:thumbup:

i kinda remember in the late 70's changing a 170 to a 225... the flex plate gave me trouble. i had to grind out the center area to make it fit. jeez the crazy things we do when we are kids

a couple of interior shots

Attachments

• IMAG0429.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 486
  • IMAG0426.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 530
  • IMAG0425.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 482
cool car-- black knobs except the radio-- go figure. Lawrence

WELL the mrs. wants me do redo this car as close to as it rolled off the assembly line...

Since She Who Must Be Obeyed has already spoken, this is probably a moot point, but I did it with Schumacher mounts and torque strap. The distributor does clear the firewall without modifications if you get rid of your heater box. A certain factory exhaust manifold will fit, but I forget the part number. And I used a pushbutton 727 (actually I think it's an A488 ) rather than a 904. I had to enlarge the transmission tunnel a little for the A488. There's not enough hood clearance to install a spacer under the carburetor, which I think causes certain hot start problems, so you might want to install a hood scoop in order to raise the carburetor up a little. I had a larger, thicker radiator made and constructed my own fan shroud.

Attachments

• engine_bay.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 503
dash red, package tray red. seats TAN w cloth center? I AM Not sure how that goes together.. i am wondering if this was changed..black rubber mat... anyone have any pics of interior/door panels etc that i can use for reference?

If I may make a suggestion --- I don't think you are going to be happy having to do all that work to build a car that your wife wants, rather than the car that you want. It's your car; it's your project; and there are very few of these cars left, so you may never get the chance to build another one. Why not just tell the wifey that you are going to build it your way, and that she should just butt out and get her own project?

-
Back