1963-66 top question

-

TAK65

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have always wondered why some tops when lowered seem to go below the body line while some (like mine) sit like 2 inches above. I wonder if it's a manual vs power top thing? Like that the manual one can be lowered further than the power top (maybe the power cylinders are limiting the travel).
My top aligns nicely with the windshield and looks all good when up, so I don't think it's an adjustment thing. I just always seem to have to stretch the top cover to reach the snaps.

It is an adjustment thing, the top needs to be adjusted so that it fits well on the windshield & well when stowed. The Manual top MAY go down further because there is no hydraulics beside or below it. The power top is just the opposite, but both tops use a boot to cover them. Unfortunately, you will probably have to get one custom made. I haven't seen anyone reproducing them & VERY few for sale. As far as having to stretch the top, this is common so the top looks good when up & doesn't have a lot of sag in it.

Don't stretch it too much. The installer who did my 67 seems to have gotten it so tight that the driver's door sounds different when opened with top up vs down. Might be a door hinge and or door adjustment issue though?

Not stretching the top, just have to stretch the top COVER slightly (the boot) to reach the snaps. Really not a problem, was just curious. Thought it might appear somewhat nicer if it went down a bit lower.

My 64 Val has the original factory manual top and may still have the factory plastic window too.
So I'm a little paranoid.
I know it's not required but I unzip the window and lay it in the well smoothly.
I lower the top but not all the way until I pull part of it toward the rear so it doesn't get pinched between the scissoring frame rails. I think just doing that additional step allows the top to be lowered an extra 2".

Hi all,
I have always wondered why some tops when lowered seem to go below the body line while some (like mine) sit like 2 inches above. I wonder if it's a manual vs power top thing? Like that the manual one can be lowered further than the power top (maybe the power cylinders are limiting the travel).
My top aligns nicely with the windshield and looks all good when up, so I don't think it's an adjustment thing. I just always seem to have to stretch the top cover to reach the snaps.
My FSM tells me to lower the top 1/2 way and push OUT the vinyl between the bows so the top folds flatter and doesn't pinch the vinyl. , before I was doing that it sat about 2-3 inches higher and the boot was a monster to get on. After doing it the FSM way I could lower the top into the well and get the boot on easily.

My FSM tells me to lower the top 1/2 way and push OUT the vinyl between the bows so the top folds flatter and doesn't pinch the vinyl. , before I was doing that it sat about 2-3 inches higher and the boot was a monster to get on. After doing it the FSM way I could lower the top into the well and get the boot on easily.
Done that too sometimes but never really paid attention to the lowered height, will do so the next time I go for a ride. Thank you!

-
Back