1963 Dart VIN Locations

-

Blown 440

Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack the "Is My Car a Tag Job" thread so thought it best to ask in a new one.

Besides the driver door pillar are there other places to look? I have to go to the Highway Patrol for inspection for registration and thought it best to have some knowledge after reading the other post.

Not in 63, there are a couple hidden numbers but they are not the VIN.

The SO number is what the early cars had.
On my 67 it was on the core support near the battery
and the trunk opening lip under the weatherstrip near the left hinge.

Alan

On top of the radiator support, center left. If you still have one, anyway..
The body shop put so much paint on mine, you can read it anymore.

Vin tag on the driver's door pillar, build sheet, new car window sticker, title (pink slip), and IBM card at Chrysler are the only places I know of that have the VIN listed on a '63 model.

----------and this same answer applies clear up to 69? when body numbers went from "order numbers" to partial vins

68 is an interesting paradox. We had a member on here, had bought a 68 MISSING THE DASH. 68 is the first year of the VIN-on-the-dash, so with that gone, no build sheet, etc, there is NO WAY to find out the original VIN, and depending on "whut" it might just be a "parts car"

It is amazing to me, that even since the internet got going, there are still people out there who seem to put little value on a clean numbers & titled car. Or at least in states which had none, a copy of whatever registration papers.

Guy I sort of knew got "hung out to dry" on a 55 Chev. I was actually involved.

The 55 post belonged to a kid in my small home town.
Then my cousin bought it for a short time
Then a guy I knew ended up with the rolling body
I bought it--VIN plate screwed on, evidently off another car, and title from "some old lady" that did not match the screwed on VIN

Rolling body sat all 6 years I was gone away in the Navy, 68--74. When I got back I sold it to this kid, who immediately fixed it up and somehow got plates.

Then he got stopped (I'm in Idaho) over in Montana for some minor offense, cop checked things, and registration/ VIN did not match, and VIN plate did not "look right." So he went to jail.....for about a week.... I never found out what happened in the end, he "got it straightened out" I was told.

Vin tag on the driver's door pillar, build sheet, new car window sticker, title (pink slip), and IBM card at Chrysler are the only places I know of that have the VIN listed on a '63 model.

Did 63 have a "certicard?"

I found the VIN on top of the radiator support like 63Dart said. It's about the only thing that hasn't been cut out on my car, lol.

Just checked that number through the paint, not the VIN. So, a-pillar and IBM card only? Also, where to go to obtain the IBM card?

-
Back