1963 Dodge Dart 270 Convertible for the Wife

-
congrats. looks great.............so, when does she get to drive it? :)

That seems really backwards to me. I think I would have bolted it to something much cooler like the engine block.

Well that is the ultimate way. I learned a long time ago that thermal is an interesting science... what "seems" logical is not always the case. Take painting a transmission black? Better or worse for thermal of the transmission... better, it radiates better.... I took some thermal measurements today.. the pipe is 500F and the shield is 300F and the starter is 230F at this end. The other end is 200F so it is staying within 30F of the rest of the block... So far it is working great.

Car is looking amazing. Gets me motivated to get back at mine. Won't be any where near that level of restoration though. I wish. That car is unbelievable. Mine will just be a nice driver when done.

That seems really backwards to me. I think I would have bolted it to something much cooler like the engine block.
i'm probably wrong (the day is early so a high probability :lol:), but the way i understand it, you're blocking the infrared radiation that is trying to heat up the starter, from getting to the starter. by attaching it to the pipe you block it closer to the source before it can infect other parts. i would think this also helps re-direct it back into the pipe like wrapping it would do

That still leaves an air gap between the heated shield & the starter. If the shield were bolted to the starter, then convection would draw the radiated heat to the starter. Of the 2 options, thermodynamics dictates he chose the best one.

Congrats! You did an amazing job! (Also, that video reminds me of when I drove my Barracuda 15 miles to the paint shop with no windows in it, haha).

Car is looking amazing. Gets me motivated to get back at mine. Won't be any where near that level of restoration though. I wish. That car is unbelievable. Mine will just be a nice driver when done.

Nothing wrong with that and in many ways better.....

Tire rub issue. The replacement patches were much deeper than the original inner fender in the lip area. I just got out the grinder and ground the panel down to match the original inner wheel well lip... Result... barely scrapes when turning and the body shifts... need a little more. A little hack with a gas line to make the shorter air filter work so I can shut the hood... Installed the DMT gas sending unit lock that is the same thickness as the original, what a difference. Then it was time for the window glass.

DSC_0279.jpg
DSC_0280.jpg
DSC_0281.jpg
DSC_0282.jpg
DSC_0283.jpg
DSC_0284.jpg
DSC_0285.jpg
DSC_0286.jpg
DSC_0287.jpg
DSC_0288.jpg

I use 3M strip caulk since I never let the cars get wet anyway I am not super worried about leaks. This stuff is nice if you have to take the glass back out. Installed and all the rechromed and professionally polished trim.... snazzy... New OER mirror mounted.

DSC_0289.jpg
DSC_0290.jpg
DSC_0291.jpg
DSC_0292.jpg
DSC_0293.jpg
DSC_0294.jpg
DSC_0295.jpg
DSC_0296.jpg
DSC_0297.jpg
DSC_0298.jpg

The Layson "T" caps needed some mods to the body holes to get to fit decent. Not great parts but better than nothing... Classic Industries order came in and now I have a 426 Hemi ground cable and installed the ground from the block to the firewall.. Then took it for a few trips to the store and post office!

DSC_0299.jpg
DSC_0300.jpg
DSC_0301.jpg

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful car. I do have a question about the glass install. It appears you installed the rubber to the frame first. Did you install the glass into the rubber after or remove the rubber and put it around the glass and then put it back in? The only way I have ever done it is the latter, place it around the glass, put a piece of twine in the channel and use lots of soap and pull the string out of the channel to bring the lip of the rubber seal in. Just curious as if you installed rubber to the frame first, does it make the glass install any easier? Thanks

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful car. I do have a question about the glass install. It appears you installed the rubber to the frame first. Did you install the glass into the rubber after or remove the rubber and put it around the glass and then put it back in? The only way I have ever done it is the latter, place it around the glass, put a piece of twine in the channel and use lots of soap and pull the string out of the channel to bring the lip of the rubber seal in. Just curious as if you installed rubber to the frame first, does it make the glass install any easier? Thanks

I mount the rubber in the frame then put the glass in. Much easier when doing to by yourself I think. I never was able to get the twine thing to work by myself, not enough hands.

Used 2 iPhones, one with a protractor app and the other with a level app and got the alignment VERY close! Took it for the longest spin yet....

-
Back