1963 Plymouth Valiant Info Needed

-

KOZ45

Reaction score
I am looking at a 1963, 2 door Plymouth Valiant...….

According to the VIN, its a 1962...…….but the owner says is a 1962-1/2, so it is titled as 1963

Has a 440/727 combo with an 8-3/4 rear with a 3.91 posi……...I assume they are all non-factory and swapped in.

The front and rear are drums, with both ends having the small (5x4?) bolt pattern

What are some quick ins and outs of this year Valiant? Any problematic areas to inspect?

Need a carpet kit, headliner, rear seats, and interior door panels...….and some small gauge work on the dash. How much to finish the interior...….maybe $1,000?

Thanks again for any and all information

62 had quad headlights and wing fenders, 2nd gen 63 had 2 headlights and smooth body lines. 63 also was a one year firewall with windshield wiper motor in way of a LA's distributor for a V8 transplant. you can delete the motor or else it will hit the distributor cap of the 64's and newer LA V8. 440's had the distributor up front so they would be a better "fit" although any B/RB 440 in an early A is a feat upon itself.

Last edited:
Correction...…..he is selling it as a 1963, but the title says 1962

I was told the block is a 68 440

Here are some pics:

01515_lEqUNKXEiT1_600x450_zpstzpofptx.jpg

00808_1ygcYGnWSuD_600x450_zpsi8djozjy.jpg

a303193c-fd31-4ff4-a0ff-8570a16cbf0c_zps4fmznfly.jpg

d0823ba0-79a1-4650-acd4-a1112ef37900_zpsxgldsvii.jpg

The 440s has a dual quad, 10.5:1, steel crank, 906 heads, 6 pack rods

The 727 has a 3000 stall converter

Super stock rear springs

Looks like a sweet ride, I would look into the title for sure.

What do you mean look in the title? Because of the 62/63 confusion?

The VIN tag on the car and VIN on the title says its a 62

00v0v_fclOddlJlMz_600x450_zpsz0q4luwk.jpg

Thats a 63 Valiant and the VIN # should start with 1_3 or maybe 1_3 First # is for Valiant Second # is for the Model, and the Third # is for the year, Forth # is where it was built. The VIN tag will be spot welded on, not riveted or screwed or glued. The red car above is a 1962. I have owned many Valiants them from 62 to 65.

There should be vin # stamped in somewhere on the car, I'm not sure on those years maybe someone will chime in with more knowledge on this

Either which way, with this small of car a 440 should make the car scoot

There should be vin # stamped in somewhere on the car, I'm not sure on those years maybe someone will chime in with more knowledge on this

The only place the VIN shows up is on the stamped aluminum tag that is spot welded to the driver’s door jamb. If you have the build sheet and/or the fender tag, the SO Number will match the number stamped on the core support! I’ve NEVER seen an original VIN tag pop rivited on an early A. Would make me very suspicious!

The owner said the original tag was drilled out and after the jams were painted it was riveted back in

Yes, it is aluminum

The car in the photos is definitely a 63 Valiant. I would recommend some more research into that VIN and registration.

3E578118-3070-4AFB-BF74-F9B0F54B41E3.jpeg
Sorry to tell you, the owner is not telling you the truth. The tag is a phony. This is the tag on my 65 Valiant. It starts with 115 the first two #s are hand stamped. If the owner said it was that way when he got it he might not know any better. But he said he took it off to paint it tells me he is lying.

Good info thanks everyone
The seller has a title......i will try running a title and VIN search to make sure the VIN doesn't come back to another vehicle

Big question is......What's the car worth?

I am looking at a 1963, 2 door Plymouth Valiant...….

According to the VIN, its a 1962...…….but the owner says is a 1962-1/2, so it is titled as 1963

Has a 440/727 combo with an 8-3/4 rear with a 3.91 posi……...I assume they are all non-factory and swapped in.

The front and rear are drums, with both ends having the small (5x4?) bolt pattern

What are some quick ins and outs of this year Valiant? Any problematic areas to inspect?

Need a carpet kit, headliner, rear seats, and interior door panels...….and some small gauge work on the dash. How much to finish the interior...….maybe $1,000?

Thanks again for any and all information

As others have mentioned - For 63, Vin should be 1_3. Vin located on spot welded tag on driver door A pillar. First two numbers hand stamped. In my case, the second number is a 4, for premium. The four numbers on the bottom line of the fender tag should match the four numbers on the rad support.

As you say, 440/727/8.75 are all added. These cars came with slant 6 only.

I would be curious how this car stops and steers with 440 weight, original small drums and manual steering. 5x4 pattern limits your wheel choices.

Parts for these cars are nowhere near as common as later valiants or barracudas. Check all chrome and trim as hard to find and expensive when you do. Especially the soft pieces - headlight trim and tail lights. Looks like it was debadged. Not a lot of trim is interchangeable with later years. Check down the rear fenderwells from the trunk as these areas collect a lot of crap and rust from inside. Also firewall area under brake cylinder. Then the usual underbody areas - floors, frame sections and torsion bar mounts.

Some interior parts also hard to find but many interchangeable with 64+.

Value? Can't really help there, not in tune really with US market. I suspect there is much more money in it than what its worth on the market. Personally, VIN issue would have me looking elsewhere.

The Vehicle Identification Number 2121126803 is from a 1962 Plymouth Slant 6 (880, Custom, Dart, Lancer 170, Newport, Savoy, Valiant 100) built in the Lynch Road, MI assembly plant (build sequence number 126803).

Someone has swapped VIN tags! Nothing but a parts car now unless you can obtain a state-issued VIN tag due to a missing/erroneous Vin

-
Back