1964 1/2 valiant build thread.

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
well guys. the time has come to start my build thread for my 64 1/2 valiant. her name is Valerie. We call her a 64 1/2 because she is wearing a 64 fender on one side and a 65 on the other. she is a very confused lady. ha ha ha. I purchased this car with the intent of doing a very tight budget build. I am in the process of putting a 360 magnum motor in with a 904 and 8 3/4 with 3:31 rear gears. its going to be a fun cruiser and daily driver that me and my lady will share. it will eventually become the "spare" bracket car. plan to take it with us to the track when i run my dart. the wife, family, friends can all run it at the track. should be a **** load of fun. the car was a factory column shift manual /6 car. the previous owner started a 360 4-speed swap and health issues forced the sell. he kept motor/trans and all 4 speed gear, including the trans hump. here she is pretty much like i bought her.

I havnt got a whole lot done yet but i did get some cleaning up done and started the trans tunnel patch. I have floor pans on the way. they should be here this week some time.

OUT CAME THE ELBOW GREESE!!!!!!!!!!

DSCN0771_zps7a42be47.jpg

DSCN0762_zps9eb74292.jpg

DSCN0763_zpsc5bc48fa.jpg

DSCN0764_zps2644db82.jpg

I shot it with some rattle can just to keep it from re-rusting while i wait for the floor pans

DSCN0766_zpsbb9a17e3.jpg

then i got to cleaning. i used mr. clean magic erasers and SOS pads. they worked awesome. here are some before and after pics of the work i got done.

DSCN0774_zpsea8619b1.jpg

DSCN0775_zpsf64648de.jpg

DSCN0776_zps64adff7e.jpg

DSCN0774_zpsea8619b1.jpg

DSCN0778_zpsebf1322e.jpg
DSCN0777_zpsddf112df.jpg

DSCN0769_zps49be8ec5.jpg

DSCN0768_zpsf385ddb7.jpg

DSCN0780_zpsd6fc5c1e.jpg

DSCN0779_zps28e7bf00.jpg

DSCN0778_zpsebf1322e.jpg

better look at title that's a 65..... good luck on you build bone head

It shouldn't be much of an ordeal to find a correct 65 left front fender.....then your car will be back to it's original birthyear!

It shouldn't be much of an ordeal to find a correct 65 left front fender.....then your car will be back to it's original birthyear!

that would require paint. lol. the car is super solid and straight. I dont plan to paint it any time soon. gonna run it how you see it. I just plan to fix the rust in the passenger compartment and the trunk. the trunk is only surface rust under the factory seam sealer. the trunk will be sprayed with truck bed liner.

That would just mean you'd have to find one in light blue! It's gonna be a cool car. It IS in nice condition and those headlight rings are amazing!! Hard to believe the contrast in the before and after on those door panels too. It will be fun to watch your build progress.

That would just mean you'd have to find one in light blue! It's gonna be a cool car. It IS in nice condition and those headlight rings are amazing!! Hard to believe the contrast in the before and after on those door panels too. It will be fun to watch your build progress.

the best part of this build is that my lady is on board with it because she will be able to drive this one. she even brought me ice cold beer on the job. lol. soon as i get the floor patched and buttoned up im gonna have her sit in it so i can find out where to mount the floor shifter.

Are you planning to run the brakes as is or swap to a dual circuit setup?

it is getting the big bolt disc swap. i have been gathering the parts to build the front end with all new stuff. then will get an alum. duel resevour master and i will re-plumb the whole car for brake and fuel lines. the brakes are stuck at all 4 wheels. i have a 8 3/4 with the big drums ready to rock. i got quite a few tricks up my sleeve on this one. gonna adapt a 67+ gas pedal to work on it too.

Very cool car, would love to find one here like that :glasses7:

when i first saw the car it had cragers on it and i knew i had to have it. the chrome is near perfect on everything. the grill, trim and light housing are damn near mint. the doors open and close like they are new. I had to have it. then i convinced the lady it was going to be her car. ha ha ha.

Very cool car, would love to find one here like that :glasses7:

hey Kieth,

do i absolutely have to run the drop center link? or can i just get away with the slant one and put couple dings in the pan for the ball joint ends? found one for $50 local. that seem like a fair price?

Such a good car. It was in my garage for over a year when we did the engine swap. A V8 centerlink is a must, it will hit the oil pan. He didn't believe me when we did the swap. Let me know if you need any help.

Such a good car. It was in my garage for over a year when we did the engine swap. A V8 centerlink is a must, it will hit the oil pan. He didn't believe me when we did the swap. Let me know if you need any help.

could use a drop centerlink. i also need a set of 73+ disc spindles. got the rest for the front end rebuild. should be going together pretty fast. i got a stock pile of parts.

Great thread. I am also working on a 64 Valiant Hardtop. Mine has been modified by previous owners. Your pictures really help me see the car in stock form. I am also working on the hump right now as I have to move the shifter. The welds were covered in some kind of household cocking that dried like cement. Here is pic of my friend trying to grind it down.

Thanks again for pics. I really appreciate them. Post a ton more. I am going over the entire car and often not sure what is stock or slightly modified. I bought a service manual out graphics are sometimes lacking.

Here is floor project similar to yours

image_zps77f7aad8.jpg

Also have a 360 in mine. Really look forward to your build and asking you questions. Cheers. John

image_zps3e852e96.jpg

Subscribed! Mine is a 64 1/2 also...with just a little more 64 than yours. Mine has two 64 fenders. 5.9 Magnum build as well. There are some pics in my profile.

got the new front floor pans in the mail today! gonna get em in this weekend! not the best quality i have ever seen but its slim pickings. got these from andy's. they were $155 for the pair shipped.

-
Back