1964 a833 hard to get into first gear

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
Hey guys so my 4 speed has been acting up, when the car is off it gets all the gears flawlessly but when it’s running it’s super hard some times to get it into first I have to really ram it it, sometimes coming to a stop it will go in very easy.

The shifters been adjusted. nothings been really changed, the only thing that I have noticed is that I needed more adjustment on the clutch adjusting rod as time goes on.

All the linkages are correct nothing mis matched.

I’m thinking my pressure plate or throw out bearing are no good just had them put in when I rebuilt my motor 4K miles ago

Can you shift with the motor running into other gears?

Hey guys so my 4 speed has been acting up, when the car is off it gets all the gears flawlessly but when it’s running it’s super hard some times to get it into first I have to really ram it it, sometimes coming to a stop it will go in very easy.

The shifters been adjusted. nothings been really changed, the only thing that I have noticed is that I needed more adjustment on the clutch adjusting rod as time goes on.

All the linkages are correct nothing mis matched.

I’m thinking my pressure plate or throw out bearing are no good just had them put in when I rebuilt my motor 4K miles ago
Sounds like clutch adjustment if it shifts fine not running. Remove the inspection cover and see how close the t/o bearing is to the clutch fingers. I adjust mine so that it's 1/8"-3/16" from touching the fingers. Cycle the pedal a few times and look again.

Imho...

that rules out the clutch and clutch linkage alignments.

Either 1st gear linkage or internal in the trans.

Odd that it shifts fine when engine is not running.

Try shifting, engine off, clutch in and clutch out. Any difference?

Sounds like clutch adjustment if it shifts fine not running
That was my thought first, but he can shift into all other gears with the engine running just fine, kind of rules out clutch not releasing enough.

That was my thought first, but he can shift into all other gears with the engine running just fine, kind of rules out clutch not releasing enough.
I had to read it twice. Sounds like it needs less free play. (more clutch)

"Hey guys so my 4 speed has been acting up, when the car is off it gets all the gears flawlessly but when it’s running it’s super hard some times to get it into first I have to really ram it it, sometimes coming to a stop it will go in very easy."

The acid test for clutch/ linkage and PILOT BUSHING problems is "how bad" does it crash into reverse?

I had to read it twice. Sounds like it needs less free play. (more clutch
I'm not following you.

If clutch was not releasing enough when he pressed the pedal down then it would be hard to get it into any gear, correct?

If the car is moving, then down shifting with a tight clutch would be doable.

And if the engine is off, and the car was sitting still it would shift no problem clutch in or out

What am I missing.

I just reread you post...

I think we are saying the same thing...

Less Freeplay = more clutch disengagement

I'm not following you.

If clutch was not releasing enough when he pressed the pedal down then it would be hard to get it into any gear, correct?
Yes but especially first. Reverse is a bad one as well. I can shift up and down almost every time without the clutch with the right rpm. Getting it into 1st without clutch disengagement is almost impossible. He did say he has a near new clutch and he has been chasing the adjustment for a month or two. I am suspect.

Ok Mike we are on the same page here

but.... (With me there is almost always a but:rolleyes:)
If the clutch was not releasing enough, (too much Freeplay) and the car is at a stand still with the clutch depressed all the way, wouldn't it be hard to get it into any gear? Maybe not as hard into 3rd or 4th (if 4 speed)

Yeah the clutch is adjusted more than I would like, the pedal use to be flush with the brake pedal now it’s more higher than the brake pedal

Ok Mike we are on the same page here

but....
If the clutch was not releasing enough, (too much Freeplay) and the car is at a stand still with the clutch depressed all the way, wouldn't it be hard to get it into any gear? Maybe not as hard into 3rd or 4th (if 4 speed)
Yes it would. I damaged a clutch by adjusting it by the free play. The pedal free play was good but the bearing was riding on the fingers. The bearing went out and damaged the fingers. Since then, I always adjust the gap between the bearing and fingers and the padal free play is what it is. If the linkage is correct and in good shape and the pp fingers are adjusted properly it will work perfect.

Yeah the clutch is adjusted more than I would like, the pedal use to be flush with the brake pedal now it’s more higher than the brake pedal
Read through my posts. Don't worry about the pedal and it's free play. That could be your problem. Check the gap at the pressure plate.

So if the op can shift into all other gears with engine running, car at a stand still and clutch pedal pressed all the way down, doesn't that point to some other issue?

I agree the gap at the bearing and fingers is a critical gap

So if the op can shift into all other gears with engine running, car at a stand still and clutch pedal pressed all the way down, doesn't that point to some other issue?

I agree the gap at the bearing and fingers is a critical gap
Yes, could be a simple shifter adjustment or a internal issue. But before we go there check all the basics. Never over look the obvious.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

I've not seen you answer specifically about how it shifts into reverse.

Tell me what you are seeing.
lol pretty much seeing the throw out bearing against the diaphram nothing looks broken or loose. I think it might be an internal situation because if it gets hard to put into first i can ram into gear but i feel pressure as if the trans is turning a bit if that makes sense.

lol pretty much seeing the throw out bearing against the diaphram nothing looks broken or loose. I think it might be an internal situation because if it gets hard to put into first i can ram into gear but i feel pressure as if the trans is turning a bit if that makes sense.
Woah the throw outbearing should not be touching the pressure plate fingers. Is it a 3 finger Borg and Beck or a Diaphram type with no coil springs but a lot of small fingers. At rest, there should be a gap for proper adjustment. Also, if you are running a Diaphram type, you need to remove the return spring on the pedal linkage under the dash.

-
Back