1964 Dart 270 commuter/running-project

-

Stiffler

Reaction score
OK. Lengthy post ahead.

Here is the Dart that I just got, pics from the previous owner, I haven't had a chance to get out and snap my own yet. BTW, I've seen very few of these early 270's on this board. This is going to be my daily/commuter/running-project. I would like to have this as a rod style or so, with some performance adds. I am not going to hesitate to replace parts on this thing and I'm not going to be shy about spending money on it, it'll just have to be in batches. I'll just have to see where it ends up over time, a lot of my ideas are flexible haha! This is my first project vehicle and am really looking forward to much learning. I have already spent many many hours browsing this forum for information. My skill set is rather broad, I am an telecom electrician in construction (currently estimating this work) and consider myself very handy. I do not however have any welding experience, so this may change through the project perhaps, my union offers welding classes which I've been meaning to take anyway.

The first thing I did is order a factory service manual, I figure it'll be....useful ;)

Currently it is not running well, due to a carburetor issue, the previous owner "rebuilt" the Carter BBS carb, so I gotta take it back apart, a rebuild kit on the way. I have also discovered that the starter relay is bad when it wouldn't crank, but tapping the relay allows it to crank over, so I have that part coming as well.

Right now this thing drives like a boat, so to remedy that, I have new shocks coming. Since I plan on lowering the Dart, I opted to spend and get the quality Hotchkis ones. I will also be getting new ESPO springs and Firm Feel torsion bars. BTW, random find, it turns out Firm Feels shop is less than 10 miles from my house. I do like my cars to ride stiff, not a real fan of lots of softness. I am looking for opinions and options for bump stops, I think I may have to replace or modify them? Will get an alignment done. I will also do a front suspension rebuild at some point. That will be a learning experience, hopefully I don't learn any new cuss words..... I am guessing I will need a hydraulic press for that? The simple Harbor Freight one maybe? I am keeping the stock drums for now. Once the vehicle is lowered to where I want it, I'll figure out what wheels and tires to go with, might stay stock I don't know. Tires are over 10 years old though, even though they look brand new, so I should deal with that sooner than later.

Need to replace the driver side fresh air vent as it is missing the door. Also need to replace the driver side window track, the gears are stripped. Will likely hit junkyards soon, I know there's a Mopar junkyard a couple hours from me (Wildcat).

I will be keeping that awesome patina, gonna scrub it down and clear coat it. There are a few rust spots that may or may not get fixed at some point in the future *shrug*. Most of the worst spots are the quarters. On this subject, I am hoping I will be able to pull off the side trims. This will allow it to be easier to clear coat and polishing of the trim pieces. I need to research how easy it is to do and put back on and if new clips are available? I am open to comments!

One thing that is NOT shown in the pics, the previous owner was "tuning" the carb a week or two before I got it and accidentally jumped it forward while giving it gas.....this crushed the passenger side headlight. It's definitely fixable though, so that is good. I will be taking this to a body shop to have them reshape it. Have located the headlight bezel, thanks to another forum member :)

I am collecting a few parts for HEI conversion, so that should happen "soon-ish".

Another somewhat immediate plan is to get a new exhaust put on. The existing is very rusty and looks in danger of falling off. I will be keeping the original exhaust manifold for now. I've read that it should be a 2.25" or 2.5" pipe from manifold to muffler, so I'll aim for that. I do want it to sound rumbly, but not too much that I wake my neighbors every morning when I leave for work at 5am....

I also saw a member here selling some sort of headlight wiring harness, which I need to look into. I did see it seemed to brighten up the lights? Seems like a must get to me.

Future Plans:
Apart from a slightly sagging headliner, the interior is in great shape, it's remarkable. May just do some touching up here and there.

I want to install A/C on it, I am not seeing a kit for this car unfortunately, so I will collect parts for this over time. For now I am going to get the windows tinted with good heat blocking tint and use a sunshield for the windshield.

I also plan on replacing the intake/carb and exhaust manifolds. Not sure what yet, but it seems that AussieSpeed intakes and headers are well received. More research to be done!

Will put in a sound system somehow. Might send the stock stereo to be gutted and modernized internally. Undecided. I'm only seeing one speaker in the car, in the dash. Not sure I want to cut stuff for speakers. Might just live with the one speaker. Also considering maybe using the stereo spot for A/C controls instead.

Considering doing disc brake conversion, but it is not high on the list. Mostly want to do this for more wheel options. Instead I feel I will probably just make sure the drum system is set up well.

Might do a complete engine rebuild at some point. When that happens, I'll upgrade the cam and maybe pistons/crank. I guess it depends on when it fails, right?! Hopefully this is a LONG way out!

Might try and install a turbo or super charger way down the road once the Dart is set as I want it. This is very low priority, but looks fun.

Thank you all for reading! I will update as I go.
Eric Stiffler

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
13.jpg
16.jpg

OK. Lengthy post ahead.

Here is the Dart that I just got, pics from the previous owner, I haven't had a chance to get out and snap my own yet. BTW, I've seen very few of these early 270's on this board. This is going to be my daily/commuter/running-project. I would like to have this as a rod style or so, with some performance adds. I am not going to hesitate to replace parts on this thing and I'm not going to be shy about spending money on it, it'll just have to be in batches. I'll just have to see where it ends up over time, a lot of my ideas are flexible haha! This is my first project vehicle and am really looking forward to much learning. I have already spent many many hours browsing this forum for information. My skill set is rather broad, I am an telecom electrician in construction (currently estimating this work) and consider myself very handy. I do not however have any welding experience, so this may change through the project perhaps, my union offers welding classes which I've been meaning to take anyway.

The first thing I did is order a factory service manual, I figure it'll be....useful ;)

Currently it is not running well, due to a carburetor issue, the previous owner "rebuilt" the Carter BBS carb, so I gotta take it back apart, a rebuild kit on the way. I have also discovered that the starter relay is bad when it wouldn't crank, but tapping the relay allows it to crank over, so I have that part coming as well.

Right now this thing drives like a boat, so to remedy that, I have new shocks coming. Since I plan on lowering the Dart, I opted to spend and get the quality Hotchkis ones. I will also be getting new ESPO springs and Firm Feel torsion bars. BTW, random find, it turns out Firm Feels shop is less than 10 miles from my house. I do like my cars to ride stiff, not a real fan of lots of softness. I am looking for opinions and options for bump stops, I think I may have to replace or modify them? Will get an alignment done. I will also do a front suspension rebuild at some point. That will be a learning experience, hopefully I don't learn any new cuss words..... I am guessing I will need a hydraulic press for that? The simple Harbor Freight one maybe? I am keeping the stock drums for now. Once the vehicle is lowered to where I want it, I'll figure out what wheels and tires to go with, might stay stock I don't know. Tires are over 10 years old though, even though they look brand new, so I should deal with that sooner than later.

Need to replace the driver side fresh air vent as it is missing the door. Also need to replace the driver side window track, the gears are stripped. Will likely hit junkyards soon, I know there's a Mopar junkyard a couple hours from me (Wildcat).

I will be keeping that awesome patina, gonna scrub it down and clear coat it. There are a few rust spots that may or may not get fixed at some point in the future *shrug*. Most of the worst spots are the quarters. On this subject, I am hoping I will be able to pull off the side trims. This will allow it to be easier to clear coat and polishing of the trim pieces. I need to research how easy it is to do and put back on and if new clips are available? I am open to comments!

One thing that is NOT shown in the pics, the previous owner was "tuning" the carb a week or two before I got it and accidentally jumped it forward while giving it gas.....this crushed the passenger side headlight. It's definitely fixable though, so that is good. I will be taking this to a body shop to have them reshape it. Have located the headlight bezel, thanks to another forum member :)

I am collecting a few parts for HEI conversion, so that should happen "soon-ish".

Another somewhat immediate plan is to get a new exhaust put on. The existing is very rusty and looks in danger of falling off. I will be keeping the original exhaust manifold for now. I've read that it should be a 2.25" or 2.5" pipe from manifold to muffler, so I'll aim for that. I do want it to sound rumbly, but not too much that I wake my neighbors every morning when I leave for work at 5am....

I also saw a member here selling some sort of headlight wiring harness, which I need to look into. I did see it seemed to brighten up the lights? Seems like a must get to me.

Future Plans:
Apart from a slightly sagging headliner, the interior is in great shape, it's remarkable. May just do some touching up here and there.

I want to install A/C on it, I am not seeing a kit for this car unfortunately, so I will collect parts for this over time. For now I am going to get the windows tinted with good heat blocking tint and use a sunshield for the windshield.

I also plan on replacing the intake/carb and exhaust manifolds. Not sure what yet, but it seems that AussieSpeed intakes and headers are well received. More research to be done!

Will put in a sound system somehow. Might send the stock stereo to be gutted and modernized internally. Undecided. I'm only seeing one speaker in the car, in the dash. Not sure I want to cut stuff for speakers. Might just live with the one speaker. Also considering maybe using the stereo spot for A/C controls instead.

Considering doing disc brake conversion, but it is not high on the list. Mostly want to do this for more wheel options. Instead I feel I will probably just make sure the drum system is set up well.

Might do a complete engine rebuild at some point. When that happens, I'll upgrade the cam and maybe pistons/crank. I guess it depends on when it fails, right?! Hopefully this is a LONG way out!

Might try and install a turbo or super charger way down the road once the Dart is set as I want it. This is very low priority, but looks fun.

Thank you all for reading! I will update as I go.
Eric Stiffler

View attachment 1715345885 View attachment 1715345886 View attachment 1715345887 View attachment 1715345888 View attachment 1715345889 View attachment 1715345890 View attachment 1715345892 View attachment 1715345893 View attachment 1715345894 View attachment 1715345895
Great project to start out with. Looks great in two-tone paint too!Subscribed!

Looks like a keeper and a fun driver! Welcome to FABO

If this is gonna be your daily driver, the very first thing I’d do is upgrade the brakes. Those OEM 9 inch brakes were marginal at best back in the day; with the crazy drivers today that will pull right in front of you and expect you to be able to stop as good as they can, i’d Want At least front disc brakes.

I thought I had a driver’s vent door but must have thrown it away. I have 2 complete driver’s vents but both will need repair.

Thank you all. Maybe I will just bite the bullet and do a full suspension rebuild then.

Just a small update. Due to family issues, a bunch of funds I had earmarked for parts got re-purposed, so it's taking longer to get what I need.

Anyway, here is what I have done/got so far.

In THIS thread I attempted to try to convert to electronic ignition (not HEI as the title says). I was unsuccessful due to not getting any spark. Side note on this, about a week or two later, my battery had to get replaced, as it just spun the starter and didn't have enough juice to engage it. I am wondering if the battery was weak enough to cause the electronic ignition to not work properly. Is this a possibility? Should I try and get this back in?

When the battery was failing, I initially thought that the starter went out, from cranking it a bunch trying to get the electronic ignition going LOL. When I pulled the starter, I saw that it was already a re-manufactured version, so it had already been replaced at some point. Neat story on this though, I went to NAPA to see about getting a new mini starter from a 2000-ish truck, but was told that it was $77 with a $40 core.....dayum. So then I asked to see what they had for the actual car, the 64 Dart, they did have one and brought it out, it was actually a mini starter! It was a re-manufactured Danso and here's the real kicker, it was only $44, with a $2 core charge. He said, "well, I guess they don't want this one back!". Yes, I realize that some of you frown on re-manufactured, but that seemed like a great deal to me. Once I put it in, I realized I had other problems and eventually found that it was that bad battery. Got a new battery and the car fired right up.

I did the "fuel line mod" and in this process discovered the nasty filled up fuel filter seen below. Makes me wonder if my tank is ok.....The fuel filter was also on the wrong side of the pump.

After that, I finally got around to tuning the thing, I adjusted all valves and did the carburetor, all following SlantSixDans instructions from other posts, and was piece of cake. It runs quite well, but for the first five minutes or so there is still a little hesitation on accelerating (it has died a couple times on acceleration) and some popping out the exhaust. After that it seems to be great and I can mash the accelerator to the floor and it takes off. So I need to find out what is causing that. Open to ideas! As for timing, I think I have it at about 5 advanced or so right now. I think to advance it more I will have to go another tooth on the distributor (I'll have to confirm, I don't remember for sure).

I have new Hotchkis shocks and just need to get them on. I had plans to rebuild the entire suspension, but will plan on doing that at a later date.
I have front disc brakes, just need to get funds to get a master cylinder for a front-disc/rear-drum setup and some front lines. Maybe it's just my imagination, but, it does seem that the drum brakes have warmed up to me I guess, they seem to stop better now than when I got the car.
Still need to get the crushed headlight fixed so that I can scrub and clear coat the car. I do have a replacement bezel now though.
Still need to replace the tires, though they have been fine for puttering around town.
Still need to also take it to an exhaust shop for that work.

Currently next on the list is to pull the instrument cluster and find out if I can see why the fuel and temp gauges are not working. Or maybe it's simply a fuse....I've read I should replace a "regulator?" on the back of the cluster anyway, as it's a fire hazard, so that is a priority I'd say.

That's all for now!

IMG_0007.JPG

Cool car. Sounds like a bad accelerator pump on your carb but I'm no expert. Personally I would like to have a mini starter on mine just for grins. Then again I might miss the sound that giant one makes when cranking.

Dont forget to get a disc brake proportion valve. The drum brake unit isnt the same.

yes, I am aiming to get a master cylinder with a proportioning valve built in.

Finally got the shocks installed. Took the opportunity to lower the vehicle just a bit at the same time. I am kinda digging the look without the hubcaps, it gives it the ratty look that I am going for. I will leave them off for a while and see :)
IMG_1025.JPG

IIRC there is no disk/drum M/C that has the prop valve built in, youll need a "combo valve" from a disc/drum car. 67 had disks up front so you could get a 67 M/C. I used a jeep combo valve and it worked fine, or spring for a proportioning valve that you can turn but youll have to plumb that in, not mandatory if you got the proper combo valve. lowering these with the front torsion bars alone will fool the front alignment. If your looking for a proper lowering, look into dropped spindles. best thing you can do with that motor (it looks great BTW) is to mill the head .090-.100 and get your compression up from the 7.x that it is. Im not sure youll need the Aussie 4bbl as the 2 works pretty good with a 350 CFM 2bbl on it. Headers are fun, but the rear gear is probably the most bang per buck. Get out of that 2.76 hiway rear and get into a 3.23 or a 3.55. 6's like forced induction as the head is not what you would call a performance piece. Small valve and a small bore. Eaton M60/90 is a good cheap supercharger. Check out the H.A.M.B (Technical - Eaton supercharger conversion to top carb mount) for many Eaton transplants. Easier than a turbo? Depends on how you want to run it I suppose. Aussiespeed makes a supercharger /6 intake. $$$

IIRC there is no disk/drum M/C that has the prop valve built in, youll need a "combo valve" from a disc/drum car. 67 had disks up front so you could get a 67 M/C. I used a jeep combo valve and it worked fine, or spring for a proportioning valve that you can turn but youll have to plumb that in, not mandatory if you got the proper combo valve. lowering these with the front torsion bars alone will fool the front alignment. If your looking for a proper lowering, look into dropped spindles. best thing you can do with that motor (it looks great BTW) is to mill the head .090-.100 and get your compression up from the 7.x that it is. Im not sure youll need the Aussie 4bbl as the 2 works pretty good with a 350 CFM 2bbl on it. Headers are fun, but the rear gear is probably the most bang per buck. Get out of that 2.76 hiway rear and get into a 3.23 or a 3.55. 6's like forced induction as the head is not what you would call a performance piece. Small valve and a small bore. Eaton M60/90 is a good cheap supercharger. Check out the H.A.M.B (Technical - Eaton supercharger conversion to top carb mount) for many Eaton transplants. Easier than a turbo? Depends on how you want to run it I suppose. Aussiespeed makes a supercharger /6 intake. $$$
ooo, thanks for the '67 combo option. And the supercharger link, I like that! Bookmarking for later! That kind of mod is far down the road at this point. I do plan on getting some proper engine work done as well, but it's not a high priority. I will certainly look into the gears though, I have not thought about that.

-
Back