1964 Valiant Power Drain

-

Beardface

Reaction score
My 64 valiant draws quite a bit of current when I run my lights.

To the point where it will die if I idle too long at a stoplight.

I changed out my voltage regulator, and that helped with the heat/radio/wipers, but the lights are still my big draw.

the battery should probably be changed, but it holds a charge no problem if the lights aren't running.

thinking it could be an alternator issue (or as mentioned, a battery), but is there anything else it might be? I am pretty handy with the mechanical stuff, but the electric side has me a bit concerned.

Thought I might post and ask before starting an unnecessary project. Perhaps it's a short in my wire somewhere? Is there a simple solution to diagnosis?

yeah, you probably have alternator output issues. After you solve that, Google this. I believe there are articles out there which discuss isolating the headlights from your oem wiring harness. Instead of running all that current thru your firewall connector, you power the headlights from the battery and just switch the power on via a relay, mounted in the engine compartment.

yeah, you probably have alternator output issues. After you solve that, Google this. I believe there are articles out there which discuss isolating the headlights from your oem wiring harness. Instead of running all that current thru your firewall connector, you power the headlights from the battery and just switch the power on via a relay, mounted in the engine compartment.
first I would clean EVERY terminal/connection (including ground paths) then check your charging voltage. If still there is an issue you might need more alternator. Can you fit a larger dia crank pulley on there? EDIT you may need more alt on there. other than the Leece Neville which is heavy & requires special bracketry, the 78 amper for an 85 M body is the highest output & has a thin stator so needs slight for/aft adjustments & iirc someone said something about the ten dollar chebby chrome swing arm needed for help mounting. My Q on that alt is does it put out more at lower RPM's than yours does as opposed to just having a higher output potential. do some homework & others will chime in with more info.

I just got a powermaster alternator from Pace Performance and my idle flicker is gone. I also used crackedback wiring bypass from alternator to starter relay to avoid melting wiring. Alternator is 65 amp at idle and 95 amp 5000 rpm. Johnny Pace can help.

My 64 valiant draws quite a bit of current when I run my lights.

To the point where it will die if I idle too long at a stoplight.

I changed out my voltage regulator, and that helped with the heat/radio/wipers, but the lights are still my big draw.

the battery should probably be changed, but it holds a charge no problem if the lights aren't running.

thinking it could be an alternator issue (or as mentioned, a battery), but is there anything else it might be? I am pretty handy with the mechanical stuff, but the electric side has me a bit concerned.

Thought I might post and ask before starting an unnecessary project. Perhaps it's a short in my wire somewhere? Is there a simple solution to diagnosis?
Remove the alternator and have it tested for output I would bet it is bad. A lot of auto parts stores have test benches for starters and alternators. repair whats wrong you don't need to rebuild the car.

Brian

-
Back