1965 273 carb?

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is the 1965 273 v8 intake two barrel carb hard to find.
Is the bolt patterns way different then a 318?
Trying to help a friend find a carb for his 65 valiant.
and would the original linkage hook up to most 318 carbs?
Thanks for your help.:salute:

Ok here is the deal.

All 64/5 V8 2bbl have the same heads and intake.

66-69 273 are the same. 66-69 273 heads you can use any LA series intake 66 and up.

You can make a modification for 64/5's to take the later intakes but it invovles wollerin out intake bolt holes and such, I don't recommend it.

If the car is all stock going to be a show winner take the time and find the right part.... If its a cruiser or rat rod, put later model heads on it and put whatever kind of intake on it ya like.

Little hint, anything 64/5 is treated like gold, you are gonna pay for it.

Your linkage should be plug and play, when I had my Holly 500 2bbl on my 273 I had no modifications to make.

I am waiting for Shishaldin to jump in here !!
He is in need of one. I have E mailed him so he will be back soon.

He must be busy Christmas shopping.:grin:
Lets hold up here and see if he returns soon.

I hope he can use something here, I sure do like his photo shop work he did for me. So I would like to help get him one. :iconbigg:

memike's yellow 63.jpg

Any 318 Carter BBD will bolt right onto the '65 273 intake. If you get a pre '72 it will have less emission stuff on it but the later ones will still bolt on.

Chuck

Somewhat hard to find.

Same bolt pattern, angle of head to intakes are unique 4/5's however youcan make it work, just needs 2 intake gaskets and looks ugly.

I have a couple of Carter BBD's and 2 Holly 500's

318 car linkage should be ok.

I pulled the original intake manifold and the original Carter 2 bbl carb off of my '65 Cuda, and they're currently sitting on a shelf in my basement.

I replaced them with a vintage Edelbrock DB3 aluminum intake manifold and a new Edelbrock 4 bbl 650 cfm carb. In my case, I did have to make some linkage modifications.

I have never really thought about selling the old Carter 2 bbl, but if you can't find one anywhere else......

Anyway, the info that the other guys are giving you (pertaining to the intake bolt hole angle) is right on. You can't put an intake manifild for a '66 or newer on '64-'65 unless you "hog" out the bolt holes. For some reason, Chrysler changed the bolt hole angle - not the pattern - in '66............ But it sounds like you're only looking for a carb, so the manifold bolt pattern should be a non-issue.

-
Back