1965 Barracuda......advice needed.....

-

Banjoman09

Reaction score
Hi- Im new here guys- Im having a problem with replacing my turn signal switch; I have ordered two new ones from Ebay and both are the same; the switch itself is smaller than the original and when it is in the column and I turn the wheel the TS switch comes on(without using the lever(; then when you turn the wheel back it turns off- both directions. The switch must not be the right one? But the sellers on Ebay say they have sold "hundreds" and never had a problem. Any ideas for me ? Thanks.

Photos of column and switch. Next to old one would be best.

You are replacing switch because?
No cancel?
FBF745EA-864A-483C-8390-FB6605447388.png

when I bought mine it was the wide one. I dont think the one listed is correct. 66 was a transition year with 67 being pretty much all new.
upload_2018-7-15_20-35-52.png
upload_2018-7-15_20-39-39.png

Last edited:
I don't believe so; looks like the narrow cam- also mine does not have the two wires on the top- they are on the bottom. Does anyone know the number of the correct switch? or the "wide cam" switch? Thanks.

He used a Shee-Mar Inc. SM102 'non-tilt'. Thats a good part number out of their catalog 63-66.

maybe the SM102 changed to a small cam with the same operation but more applications? (Think AMC pushrod oiler lifters being sold for Mopar too)

You really need a Mopar 2258704, not the stated 2631383, 2822170 thats on an Ebay listing. If the MP part number scheme is like Fords, the first 2 numbers denote the year the part was designed, ie the 26,28 part numbers were designed later than the OEM 22 part number. Which is totally on point as I just learned, good up to 1969. The "22" is a '62 part (first 2 is 60's, second 2 is 2nd year, 62!) The parts that the ebay listing quotes are '66 and '68 designed parts. Keep looking.......:-(

440 Source.com - Info on Chrysler's casting and part numbering system

Last edited:
maybe the SM102 changed to a small cam with the same operation but more applications? (Think AMC pushrod oiler lifters being sold for Mopar too)

You really need a Mopar 2258704, not the stated 2631383, 2822170 thats on an Ebay listing. If the MP part number scheme is like Fords, the first 2 numbers denote the year the part was designed, ie the 26,28 part numbers were designed later than the OEM 22 part number. Which is totally on point as I just learned. The "22" is a '62 part (first 2 is 60's, second 2 is 2nd year, 62!) The parts that the ebay listing quotes are '66 and '68 designed parts. Keep looking.......:-(

Maybe we are on the wrong foot; that is the spring that goes on the back of the wheel. Maybe a canceling cam; but I need the switch. Thanks.

Contact Daniel Stern and he'll provide a quality and correct replacement. I've got three of his in my early As and they work extremely well. Go to: www.danielsternlighting.com and his contact info is there.
dastern@torque.net

I'm not sure if this is still a good number...... One I have from 2015: 866-861-8668

There is also a guy who used to make "guaranteed for life" cancel cams. I can't remember who it was but if I can find his info I'll post it.

Last edited:
Contact Daniel Stern and he'll provide a quality and correct replacement. I've got three of his in my early As and they work extremely well. Go to: www.danielsternlighting.com and his contact info is there.

There is also a guy who used to make "guaranteed for life" cancel cams. I can't remember who it was but if I can find his info I'll post it.

Hey thanks! I went to his site and it wont let me have his email or number- would you have it please? Thanks!

Why don't you try ordering one for a 66 Barracuda from Rock auto. I'm thinking that would help solve your problem. Also
make sure your wheel is pointed straight ahead when installing the new switch. Is your wheel centered when driving,??. If not that will affect how the switch cancels out when turning back straight, .
Dave

-
Back