1965 Barracuda Formula S - New Weekend Cruiser

-

ValiantK360

Reaction score
As many of you know already, I bought a '65 Barracuda Formula S a few days ago in Waukegan, IL.

I have been looking for a first gen Barracuda for a while now, and finally found a survivor in good condition! This car has quite an interesting history - it originally from Washington state, and eventually working its way to Maryland, and now it is in Illinois.

It currently has an early 70's 318, with a Holley 600's series carburetor and LD4B intake. It does the commando valve covers along with the 273 air cleaner, so it could pass as a 273. It was also upgraded to a 8.25 inch rear axle and still has an open differential.

Though it is not original anymore, but do the car did come with the original factory build sheet and window sticker, which I will post later on.

I don't know my long term plans for the Barracuda, but I do plan on making it a weekend cruiser right now.

Long live the first generation Barracudas!

IMG_0866.JPG

IMG_0868.JPG

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0871.JPG

IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

IMG_0877.JPG

IMG_0878.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0888.JPG

A great find if you ask me, drive it and do your thing with it and keep us updated :thumbsup: and congratulations !! I would daily drive this a little :)

Ought to be a fun car!

Looks like a disk brake master cylinder. That, and the 8.25 rear make me ask if it has disk brakes up front and the 4.5" bolt pattern at both ends. That opens up some good opportunities for a cruiser and a user.

That Barracuda looks like a great father/son project. Congrats!! :thumbsup:

The tach is in the factory location, but it's not a factory piece as far as I know...

The tach is in the factory location, but it's not a factory piece as far as I know...
yeah, thats a resto-mod tach behind the OEM bezel. you have to do that with electronic ignition as the pancake signal box wont work, at least not with with MSD. plus the factory tach was a 6000RPM snoozer, you could bounce the needle revving it hard. 318 is no slouch in that car with 'S' cam and LD4B intake, but you could do better than the factory S cam as its designed around a higher compression.

The dealer invoice says that it was a dealer add on when new....

It was a dealer installed option that fit the hole perfectly.... :D

Sure is a nice car.
I got mine cheap, but it will be years and many dollars before i get to driving it.

Get it on the road and enjoy!

ValiantK360; I did the engine/trans/rear/brake/frame....work on that car a few years back. I've got multiple picts still on my computer. any questions....ask.... Mike (in NJ) It had just taken a hit on the LF and RF suspension when I got it..... It did some guardrail / curb dancing! It needed lots including cowl rot repair. Drivers side was sealed over. Pass side (for heater) repaired. LOTS went into work that never seen! lol there were some changes made after it left here to go to MD area.

Copy of DSCN1325.JPG

p1010001.JPG

p1010006.JPG

p1010014.JPG

3eng3.JPG

under1.JPG

p1010046.JPG

Last edited:
Nice looking car. I recently purchased two '65 Barracudas. One that I am going to try the same route as you and make a cruiser. Please let me know if you are looking for parts as the purchase did come with a good number of parts.

-
Back