1965 barracuda seat upholstery kit install difficulty

-

Scott Bowers

Reaction score
Hey all,

Wondering if anyone has had experience putting on new foams/vinyl skins from classic industries? Never done any unholstery before so wanted yalls opinions before I bite the bullet and buy the kits.

Easy for a newbie?

Thanks!

try and put them on softened like layed out in the sun (if Seattle gets sun in January) and turn them inside out, that way you can grab the foam and then roll the cover back down over it. I also heard that plastic bags over the buns help them slide into the upholstery, then you can just rip them out once they are in. The corners are almost impossible if you just try and stuff the buns in the seat backs.

working on the seats

front seats

wish I had known about the plastic bag trick for the bottoms and the zip ties to let them relax for awhile so you can get them tight ?? next time// I would stay away from silicone sprays taking a chance that it would mess with the foam and $400 + seat covers is a chance I would avoid

and when you think your good the HEADLINER:D
while you have the seats out

69 fb headliner
2018-05-31-wash-me-005-jpg.jpg

hang in there !!

Last edited:
Haven't looked in awhile, but Legendary has how-to videos on their site.
Classic most likely gets their stuff from Legendary anyway. Look and wait for sales at 20-30% off. Legendary is (was) always at major shows with show special discounts. They are sold on a per order basis, not stocked, so you have to be patient for your order to be made. There also is a shipping charge so allow for that.

There's lots of youtube help out there too. Tricks from the guys that do it every day.
You can do this well for sure.

Standard rear benches are fairly Easy to do. Not sure about a folding bench back.

Bucket bottoms are easy as well.

My 73 bucket backs were difficult as they had listing wires in the front.

Those low backs look a lot easier.

Hog rings can be had a Tractor Supply. Hog ring pliers at Harbor Freight.

I used 2 pair of channel locks and a welding vise grip (with the wide jaws) to pull the material tight while I hog ringed it.

I bought my legendary covers through Classic Ind, as the sale price was better that way.

One or both typically have either a 20% or 30% off sale around November.

Too bad you just missed that.

Sometimes they have a lesser sale (15%) in the summer.

(sigh) - but, alas, here in Canada we just add another 30% plus taxes plus shipping - to whatever the rest of you pay. (sigh again) :(

-
Back