1965 barracuda trunk lock

-

alexr1905

Reaction score
Wondering of anyone knows what kind of trunk lock cylinder I should be looking at for a 65 barracuda? All I find is 60-100 cylinders online, the 66+ cylinders are more reasonably priced but what are the differences? The car was missing the lock when I got it, the hole looks like the cylinder should be a threaded back bit every one I see online looks like that isn't true.

Wondering of anyone knows what kind of trunk lock cylinder I should be looking at for a 65 barracuda? All I find is 60-100 cylinders online, the 66+ cylinders are more reasonably priced but what are the differences? The car was missing the lock when I got it, the hole looks like the cylinder should be a threaded back bit every one I see online looks like that isn't true.

Well, here is what they look like...
LOCKSET.jpg

The 66 and newer have a larger lock cylinder body with an access cover so you don't have to remove the cylinder face to re-key. The cylinder opening can be enlarged to make a 66 and later work on 63 to 66 if you don't mind modifying the sheet metal.

The 66 and newer have a larger lock cylinder body with an access cover so you don't have to remove the cylinder face to re-key. The cylinder opening can be enlarged to make a 66 and later work on 63 to 66 if you don't mind modifying the sheet metal.
I bought the trunk tumbler for my '65 Barracuda on eBay from Pro-Kits for $12.95. It is for a '66-'72 #22168001350. Works great!

if u still have the original lock body just do like i do and buy another lock and take the parts out and rekey it yourself

Clif,

The ignition key is not correct for '65. You're showing the later key, check your owner's manual. Bob

Yes the ignition and doors are the same shape, but not the shape pictured in the previous post. See this scan from the '65 Valiant/Barracuda owner's manual.

'65 Plymouth Keys.jpg

Should be just two keys. The door and ignition use one, and the trunk/glove box use another. The '64 and older trunk keys are flat on one side and grooved on the other. The later keys are grooved on both sides. The loop where the key would attach to a key chain is also different on the earlier factory keys, but, that design didn't change until after '66 or '67 sometime.

Clif,

The ignition key is not correct for '65. You're showing the later key, check your owner's manual. Bob
Well, just pulled the ones I Never Use that came with the car.... and this is what I got... Remember, I'm the 2nd owner ... getting it in 1974 from the 1st owner...
And quite frankly... I don't care... they Work!!!! I use these as masters only... :)
A set of keys is Two.. and you get 2 sets... Door and Ignition are Always the same Key!!!
Maybe the Original owner lost the keys and he was given these... the ones I picture... they are still Mopar keys... and do the job... quite well...
Note: (after thought here) I do Not write in my Glovebox manual... see the hand written numbers ??? They had to be the original owner or dealer... looks like there was a problem and had to get another set of keys by using the code... I never gave it a thought back then,... I just gave the PO $400 bucks for the car (65 'cuda) and he handed me the Keys and I drove off....

20200510_152646.jpg

But I do have lots of Mopar NOS Blanks... and just pulled a couple.
20200510_154059.jpg

Last edited:
I just did some research and ordered the correct ones from an eBay vendor. My car came with three different blank styles so I took a look at the manual. I also remembered my '66 Satellite convert that I bought in 1971 had the same style. That car got totaled but I'll never forget it! I believe the later style came out in '67. Bob

-
Back