1965 DART GT 273 4BBL

-

A/MP

Reaction score
Anyone have documentation that this combo existed?

This is from Hemmings Motor News.;
Dart was no exception, and in 1964, Dodge introduced its new compact 273-cu.in. "LA"-series V-8 to the Dart line. This modern lightweight V-8 featured a two-barrel carburetor and modest 8.8:1 compression (the only way it was so offered in 1964), and put out 180hp, along with 260-lbs.ft. of torque at just 1,600 rpm. It was, of course, an option on the GT.

Along with the usual upgraded trim, GT models also had a contrasting-color spear along the beltline of the car. Total Dart sales approached 194,000, with roughly a quarter of those built as GT models. Of those, just 12,000 were V-8s; no further breakout between coupes and convertibles is available.

A year later, in 1965, multiple factors contributed to the appearance of machines like our feature car. First, despite Mother Mopar's own Max Wedge monsters owning titles and records at multiple drag strips nationwide, it was Pontiac's GTO that garnered much of the press hype (and sales) in '64. Suddenly, everyone needed a hot one on their option sheets. Second, Plymouth, despite beating Mustang to market by a couple of weeks with its fastback Barracuda, was having its clock cleaned in the sales race: It took Plymouth all year to sell what Mustang moved in just a couple of slow weeks. A performance model should surely help bolster the image and move a few units, so a four-barrel variant of the LA small-block was born.

Known as the Charger 273 in Dodges and the Commando 273 in Plymouths, it was (likely under-) rated at 235hp thanks to the following major changes: 10.5:1 compression, a 600cfm Carter AFB four-barrel carburetor, and a .425/.425-inch-lift cam with 248 degrees duration. It cost $99.40 on the option sheet. "Worth every cent of its extra cost," Car and Driver opined.

I dont think the Carter was 600 CFM....But Charger 273, sure. That cam spec is wrong too. It was a .415/.425, C'mon Hemmings....

The 65 Technical service manuals are full of documentation...

20160825_190825.jpg

20160825_191151.jpg

C'mon Hemmings....

LOLROFL. Hemmings should have stuck to putting out a monthly collection of classified ads printed on phonebook paper. Their feature articles are often full of errors and guesses, all presented as authoritative fact.

LOLROFL. Hemmings should have stuck to putting out a monthly collection of classified ads printed on phonebook paper. Their feature articles are often full of errors and guesses, all presented as authoritative fact.
Love your answer Dan!

I understand that GT was a body trim and could be had even with a slant six engine. I think all the 4 bbl 273 Plymouths were termed "Commando" engine and had such on the air cleaner and the Dodges were "Charger 273". The term "HiPo" is also used (slang or true factory name?). I recall the "Dart Charger" was even more special. A member here is the expert on 1965.

No Dart ever had a "Commando" motor because "Commando" was a Plymouth marketing name. In the same way, no Plymouth ever got a "Magnum" motor. The Dart air cleaner on EVERY 235hp/273 said "Charger"

Not all 273-4's came with disk brakes as that was a mid year option, but I bet they came with 10's...

Not all 273-4's came with disk brakes as that was a mid year option, but I bet they came with 10's...
My 65 had 4 wheel drum but I don't know what size. My 66 GT Hp 273 has 10" 4 wheel drum.

It depends on the order. I have a 65 Commando Barracuda and the build sheet from the car shows the 9 inch brakes to be factory. However it is power brakes factory. lol

Who knew? Power 9's still sucked...Maybe they all should have come with 10's or disc brakes..

By '66 10" drums were standard with a 273. I don't know when that became the standard. Disc brakes were optional starting at some point in the '65 model year (first dealer installed and then factory). Disc brakes were never PART of the 273 four barrel option.

Great info by 72Demon340-4 Speed. I don't read "Charger" anywhere in the brochure. Did that name come just from the decal on the air cleaner? The brochure also doesn't show a tachometer option for the dash. Was that just in Barracudas? Sorry to upset Jim, and not sure why the fussing since I did qualify everything I wasn't sure of w/ "I think" and "I read". The brochure does support what I said about "GT" being just a trim level and available w/ 6 cyl. Wait for our European expert to chime in with the last word: I recall "65DartCharger" (see, I qualified that).

Great info by 72Demon340-4 Speed. I don't read "Charger" anywhere in the brochure. Did that name come just from the decal on the air cleaner? The brochure also doesn't show a tachometer option for the dash. Was that just in Barracudas? Sorry to upset Jim, and not sure why the fussing since I did qualify everything I wasn't sure of w/ "I think" and "I read". The brochure does support what I said about "GT" being just a trim level and available w/ 6 cyl. Wait for our European expert to chime in with the last word: I recall "65DartCharger" (see, I qualified that).
@65dartcharger

image.jpeg
All interesting comments. I didn't realize that the Dart GoGo was a different package until Ulf Anderson told me.The picture on my profile is the 1965 Dart GoGo that I had during my senior year in high school, 1966-67. It did not have charger medalions on it. I knew a girl from another high school who had a convertible GoGo just like the one in the brochure. I recently purchased a '65 convertible with the 235hp 273 that I am going to build into a GoGo. All it needs to match the brochure is stripes, a set of Cragars, and a 3-spoke steering wheel. I also have a 4-speed coupe that I am going to build to match my high-school car. Then I'll have a matched set just like the GoGo brochure.

I'm not sure what rear end my original car had (I suspect a 3.91), but it would pull redline in 4th, and easily turned in the mid-14's with cheater slicks and an exhaust dump, plus a little tuniing. It was a 4-speed car with the stock Auburn 3-spring clutch, which didn't last long. I replaced that with a normal pressure plate with 9 springs and a high-performance disc. The only other problem I had was ripping the clutch pedal bellcrank off the firewall from repearted power shifts. This car was a sleeper, and ate four barrel Mustangs for breakfast, also some GTO's with automatics and smaller horsepower 389'. I owned both a '65 Mustang and a '67 Camaro, and the Dart was far superior in terms of braking and handling, and much faster than the Mustange with a 4-barrel 289 (the Camaro had a built 327, so it wasn't a valid comparison.) I don't know what size brakes it had, but I will measure the brakes on my current cars to see what they are.

Thanks to Toolman Mike for getting me another Dart GoGo brochure to replace the one I got from Ulf that got misplaced. It's a great source of information. My high school car looked exactly like the coupe in the brochure. It was a great car, and, to put it delicately, I had my first uh... major romantic experience in it to boot. By the way, the sound a four-speed 235hp 273 with a tuned exhaust makes when you dump the clutch is something that will send chills up your spine. I can still hear it, and see the cloud of blue smoke from both back wheels in my rear view mirror. And oh man, the adventures I had in that car...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great story! My first car was a 65 also but not a Go Go. It had a Hp273 and a 3 on the tree. Now I find out there were only a small handful made with a 3 speed. Who knew!

-
Back