1965 Dart GT: help on diagnosis?

-

Collin Baker

CBaker65GT
Reaction score
So I have a 1965 Dodge Dart GT with a 273 Commando (no, the engine isn't original to the car). First of all, I am 17 years old. My dad and I got this car for free and have been working on it on and off for the last year due to money restrictions. One of the many problems I have come across is the car won't kick down; and this is a big issue because when finished, we plan to race it. My dad has been around cars his whole life and says it's a shifting cable, but I can't seem to find one. The Dart has a 3 speed automatic, and I don't really want to part with the shifter because it is original to the car, but I just wanted to see what all the experienced Mopar Guys have to say! Thank you all!

Last edited:
My 64 big block had 2 cables, like yours should, and it had a lever for the throttle pressure/kickdown. Don't drive without it. The trans will burn up. Check Moparts forum. They may have a copy of the service manual you can download.

Welcome to the site. You should post some pics of what your throttle kick down linkage you have going. Dustin

I THINK the pre 65 trans had a different setup than the 65 and up. Later trans used a rod and bell crank linkage
not a cable. I would look into what trans you have first
and then find the correct kick down.

The kick down rod snaps onto a ball on a short lever on the back of the throttle linkage close to the firewall. The other end of the rod is a short right angle that fits into a bell crank on the transmission and is secured with a cotter key. Do you have the throttle linkage with the step down rod missing?
Do you have a floor shift console? A cable runs from that to the transmission, and you adjust it at the transmission for calibration of the shift functions, park, reverse, 1,2. We can give you more details. I love your project work with your dad. Keep it up.

Welcome. I believe the 64's were cabe operated push button. The 65's were lever or floor shifter operated with a dual cable and 66 and newer were linkage operated. Fyi. If you have a HP 273 they were Charger 273's in the Dodges and Commandos in the Plymouths. Super Commandos were 426 wedge engines in the early 60's B bodies.

So I have a 1965 Dodge Dart GT with a 273 Super Commando (no, the engine isn't original to the car). First of all, I am 17 years old. My dad and I got this car for free and have been working on it on and off for the last year due to money restrictions. One of the many problems I have come across is the car won't kick down; and this is a big issue because when finished, we plan to race it. My dad has been around cars his whole life and says it's a shifting cable, but I can't seem to find one. The Dart has a 3 speed automatic, and I don't really want to part with the shifter because it is original to the car, but I just wanted to see what all the experienced Mopar Guys have to say! Thank you all!
Your kickdown linkage should look like this....
1104.jpg

Like what was said...DON'T drive the car without it...you'll burn the trans up!!!

Make sure your linkage / cable is hooked up and adjusted correctly. With the carb throttle at wide open throttle (WOT) the kickdown lever on the transmission should be about all the way to the rear.

Does it not downshift at all? Pre 71 automatics only had WOT kickdown whereas later models had part throttle kickdown.

Welcome. I believe the 64's were cabe operated push button. The 65's were lever or floor shifter operated with a dual cable and 66 and newer were linkage operated. Fyi. If you have a HP 273 they were Charger 273's in the Dodges and Commandos in the Plymouths. Super Commandos were 426 wedge engines in the early 60's B bodies.
Thank your for the information! And, my Dart was actually an original Slant-Six GT and the previous owner dropped in the 273.

Make sure your linkage / cable is hooked up and adjusted correctly. With the carb throttle at wide open throttle (WOT) the kickdown lever on the transmission should be about all the way to the rear.

Does it not downshift at all? Pre 71 automatics only had WOT kickdown whereas later models had part throttle kickdown.
It does downshift, but it wont kick down to say, pass a car on the highway.

-
Back