1965 Dart headlight mounting dilemma.

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought this 65 Dart awhile back, an unfinished project but mostly complete.
Mostly. The problem is, I am not familiar with the specifics of these cars. I usually work on the 67 and later A body cars.
I'm having trouble with the headlight mounting setup. This car had a grille in it and the larger aluminum headlight bezels but I don't recall what the actual headlight sits in. Other cars have those galvanized steel brackets that have provisions for adjustment.
Lee Robinson said that many 65 parts are unique but are the headlight mounting buckets specific to this year? Does anyone have pictures of a 65 model to show what I am missing and what order it all fits? I'll post here what I have. I appreciate any help on this.
Thanks, Greg Kern

IMG_2711.JPG

IMG_2741.JPG

The car came without any of the trim at the hood edge, the badge in the center of the hood and the "candy cane" trim around the headlights. I welded over the hood badge hole and the mounting holes for the other trim. I still need to learn how to mount the headlights though.

IMG_2710.JPG

IMG_2759.JPG

IMG_2758.JPG

Wow...They are a common bucket? I have some spare Valiant and later Dart fenders I could look at up the hill. That is great news, thank you !!

I thought with so many of the parts on this car being 1965 only, I'd be looking for awhile. I'm going to check my mini junkyard right now.

No problem i dont know what years fit what car but you need the trim rings that hold the lights in the buckets.

Those rings are hopefully not any harder to find than the buckets. I just checked my stash and found 2 lefts and 2 rights. Score !

That car begs for rectangular led's in each grille slot

Next up...Candy Canes. Let the fun begin !!!!!!
Welcome to the world of the 65 Dart. :)

Last edited:
^^^^^ I agree,,, good candy canes are like hens teeth.

-
Back