1965 Dart steering column interchange ?

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey there everyone,

I have a 65 Dart that is a bit of a hodge-podge of parts. It has a 318 and a 904 in it and was originally a column shifted model. The column has been either changed or modified because the shifter and indicator are gone from it. There is an aftermarket shifter attached to the floor that the prior owner wants back. I'm okay with that because the thing really looks out of place in an otherwise stock looking interior.
I'm not as familiar with the early A body cars so I'm not sure which steering columns will fit. I need a power steering, automatic column with the shifter and all linkage. A FABO member has a 66 Valiant with a column automatic but he thinks that the parts are different. I'm not looking for total originality, just a stock appearing, functional shifter. I know that things changed a bunch in 1967 so the interchange for this year must be pretty narrow.
:prayer: PLEASE help!

What year of transmission is in it? A stock 65 automatic column is unique in that it's a one year only cable shifted unit. If it has a 66 and later 904, then you would want the column out of the 66 Valiant as 5hat was the first year of mechanical linkage.

I do not know the year of the transmission but it has a chrome handled shifter mounted on the tunnel, operated by a cable. I'd be happy to just retrofit that 66 column in it and be done with it.

Kern. look down at the linkage. If its an aftermarket cable shifter, 99% chance youll have a 66 and up 904 as none I have seen work with the cable shifted 65 trans. I think the board is right, a 1 year only 66 column is what your looking for, either Valiant/Barracuda/Dart.

-
Back