1965 Dodge Dart 270 wagon

-

65dartcharger

Dart Charger 273 Historian
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Late last night the wagon arrived from US. Thanks God nothing happened to the car.

The car was way better then I expected so this will be a great car to start with. I'll get back with my plans later.

Scott! You were right. This is a good starter. Thanks for all the help you provided me with.

Dave! Thanks for the wheels. They were better then I expected so these wheels will be on the wagon for sure.

View attachment 002.jpg

View attachment 003.jpg

That looks great. Certainly the best looking car on that carrier. What the heck are those goofy looking little boxy things???

very neat wagon , 4spdragtop u changed your pic? is that the human version of patrick from spongebob? lol

nice score. i didnt even notice Steve, your neck finally healed and you put on a few pounds lol

Today I started to bolt the engine together on the wagon. Most of the parts were there. Some small odds and ands are missing but I had that in my inventory.

The A/C unit is complete so now I know how to assemble this on the convertible.

After two hours of work the engine was ready and it was time to try to fire her up. What I know from the receipts the car was in traffic the last time back in 1988. But with a new fuel pump and a healthy battery she fire right up and spun like a cat!!! Is that quality or what?

Started with the rear brakes. They are totallt shot but with new parts it will be in good running condition. I even put the Cragar wheels there. Willfit like a glove.

In my research for markings, paint splots etc on 65 Dart I found a pencilmarking on the fire wall.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 1,641
  • 005.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,493
  • 003.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,505
  • 002.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,534
  • 001.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 1,557
More pictures....!

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,546
  • 008.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 1,444
  • 010.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,424
  • 011.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,457
  • 012.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 1,530
Wow!! Ulf:thumleft: Congratulations :cheers:
That wagon is in Great shape, and at a great home :smile:
Happy to hear another great old engine just needed a drink to be woke up
Enjoy :cheers: and thank you for another great restoration thread.

subscribed :happy1:

Love the wagon! Built back when the cars still had style. I'm blocking out my 70 Dart right now and it's amazing just how many body lines and angles there are on it. Now all the cars are just a series of bulbous curves. I get it- for aerodynamics and all and I don't mind it but I really like the angular body lines of old.

By the way, You do a lot of research on factory habits. On the rear valance under the license plate is a big "OK" in what looks like grease pencil or maybe regular pencil. Do you suppose that was done on the line after a certain step or maybe as it left the line when completed? Kind of fun.

Love the wagon! Built back when the cars still had style. I'm blocking out my 70 Dart right now and it's amazing just how many body lines and angles there are on it. Now all the cars are just a series of bulbous curves. I get it- for aerodynamics and all and I don't mind it but I really like the angular body lines of old.

By the way, You do a lot of research on factory habits. On the rear valance under the license plate is a big "OK" in what looks like grease pencil or maybe regular pencil. Do you suppose that was done on the line after a certain step or maybe as it left the line when completed? Kind of fun.

I'm not sure what the meaning is. Since it's close to the relay, can the electrical system be ok?

Check out the clips holding the drums on the rear end.

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 1,448
i didnt realize until now that it is a factory v8 wagon , how cool ! couldnt have been very many made let alone many left. that is really a great find and super clean. that thing is screaming for a nice dual exhaust all the way out the back just to give it a nice rumble. i love the whitewalls and the caps, even though you arent using them. very cool "little red wagon"

Nice wagon! I remember seeing the pics of when it was in Arizona.....
FYI those wheel covers you have on it are from a Corvair - around '61/'62...
lakewood.jpg

Way back in 1971 or so, I owned a '65 Dart 270 2-door sedan, slant six, also with the factory A/C setup that you have.

Love those little wagons. Enjoy!

Marshall

Wow the factory clips are still on the drum. That means they were probably never taken off. When I worked in brake shops many years ago we cut them off and threw them away when we pulled the drums off.

Thanks for the nice comments. The wagon seems to be pretty much untouched. With only 89000 miles on the clock it will just beed some maintenence. I opened up the rear drum and it's all there. I'll shoot some more pictures.

The rear floor was shot so after some manufacturing it was done to like new condition.

A request on how to add the gas tank needed some pictures. The seal to the tank was shot so a used but ok one was added. The steel band added to the rear frame and the tank was in place. On the passenger side the hook is mounted.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,353
  • 002.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,347
  • 003.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 2,884
  • 004.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,310
  • 006.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,297
  • 005.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,289
  • 007.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 2,829
  • 009.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 1,301
  • 010.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,336
  • 011.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 1,354
attachment.php

attachment.php

That is what I am trying to figure out- that slanted slot seems to far forward...is there something else that the T end of the strap hooks into?

attachment.php

attachment.php

That is what I am trying to figure out- that slanted slot seems to far forward...is there something else that the T end of the strap hooks into?

Ken!

Yepp! That strap goes on the inside of the drivers side frame rail. The hook is added on the outside frame rail on the passenger side.

Nice Wagon! Should be a nice driver. Love the wagons.

Thanks. THe brakes are done and tomorrow I will bleed the brakes. I rebuilt the carb today and she runs like a beauty. I need to get a kit for the power steering pump so I can rebuild that one too.

Hope to take it next weekend for a test drive. Yihaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Continued with the front strut rod bushings. And boy are thyey dead! I replaced them both.

Here is a picture on how the right rear brake drum looked like. Seems to be a marking as well as trhe assembly line clip on the studs. So now I have six of them for the DartCharger project!

The brake drum seems to have been painted black from factory. Anyone seen this before?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,290
-
Back