1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
What an amazing job you have done! A true work of art and you produced what was built back in the day as it was made. Truly cant wait to see it in a show or maybe more. Sure hope you drive....CAREFULLY :D:burnout:

I was pretty sure that I had the factory throttle return spring but now after starting the Engine the Engine will not come down to idle. Seems like the spring is to weak! Does anyone here know how the factory one should look like?

Today I finally was able to do the factory invoice to the dealership. I found an old type writer machine at a garage sale which worked good. On Ebay I found the 1964/1965 invoice only.

After going through all my books and notes I guess that this is the closest I can get. However I have one question; where was this factory invoice taped? I think I have seen it placed on the inside of the glass on the drivers door. I was able to find a ad from the dealership that sold my car new, University Dodge in Palo Alto, CA.

Last picture is the new invoice to the left and a copy of an old one to the right. I think it turned out great.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 542
  • 005.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 528
  • 50289730-thumbnail.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 526
The last things day! Some small fuel leakage and cleaning the Wheel weels since that stupid state inspection guy vent out in the rain. Took me 40 hours of cleaning but it turned out good.

I finally got the battery in place. Now I know that the smaller rod towards the inner fender should be silver zinc with one silver zinc nut without washer. On the outside the rod should be black phosphated with a silver zinc not without washer.

The kits that sell on Ebay and other sources have the inner rod to long. If you add that one you will at least get a hole in the insulation pad or hit the hood from inside.

I also found the small paper tag that should be on the alternator. I could not found out where to put it! Since there is a plastic flange around the positive connection I cannot get it in place.

I'm not sure if I have asked this question before but I could not find it in the thread!! Anyone has any input?

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 507
  • 001.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 484
  • 003.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 500
  • 002.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 491
Wow, they'd accept full US-spec lighting…US headlamps, US red rear turn signals, etc…but they didn't find the retroreflectors built into the taillamps adequate?! That's silly. Guess they objected to the high vs. low location.

Wow, they'd accept full US-spec lighting…US headlamps, US red rear turn signals, etc…but they didn't find the retroreflectors built into the taillamps adequate?! That's silly. Guess they objected to the high vs. low location.

In Sweden they still seem to require those silly ugly things. I don't know why. In Finland they used to require them just to bother people driving US cars. Luckily all that ended when the inspection stations were opened for private competition. Regarding a couple other things, in Finland amber parking lights are legal until 1973 and red rear turn signals until 2000 or thereabouts. Sweden seems to have a bit tougher requirements although I wouldn't care about that stupidity other than on inspection day. Regarding model year, in Finland the registration only shows the first year the vehicle has been registered. For most people that becomes "the model year". In the past when the car tax (it's always been huge in Finland) had to be paid once the car was imported (now it is paid when the car is sold) the dealer stock was minimal and the customers usually saw their own car when they already had paid for it. This system lead to the fact that some more unusual models could sit for YEARS outside in the customs storage at harbors without undercoating. A friends father bought a Ford Taunus with an automatic transmission (difficult sell around 1980) that had sat for three years...must be fun for the later owners to discover that...

Congratulations Ulf! I have to say that this thread has been one of the best things on the internet! Great to see the fantastic product but at the same time sad to see this go. Hope to buy the book one day. I don't know how to put into words the efforts witnessed here, all I can say that this is probably as good as it gets in Europe and definitely among the best anywhere. I would be scared to own this car....I'm shocked that you let the inspection guy drive it! In the rain?? Wow.

Sure hope all will go smoothly when shipping the car back to the US, hope to see it both at Carlisle and the Nats! Did you ever hear from Bob Ashton at the MCACN show in Chicago? It is the best musclecar show on the planet and the Dart would be perfect for it! I hope that you will provide some build info and pics when showing it, that really makes a car (especially at this level) stand out! Congrats again for a job well done!

Hans in Skåne

PS Glad to see you Thord Liljeqvist on the forum, I can't tell how impressed I was about your 64 Valiant back in the early 80:s when no one did original restorations on those cars. I saw it first hand at the show in Turku/Åbo as well as many period magazines. Lots of garage talk about that one at a time most people seemed to prefer furry interiors and mag wheels.

I bought a 270 2 dr sedan from the first owner in Sweden. He bought it brand new at Reedmans in Langhorne, PA as a wedding gift. Drove it up to New York and had it shipped to Sweden. Drove it until 1977 and parked it due to some issues with the brakes. Was going to restore it some day! (Have we heard that before?) I started calling him in 1986 and called him every second year. Last year he called me for the first time and told me,
-I'm 81 years old now and I'm not going to complete the restoration. If you like you can have it. We agreed on the money and I got it in mid December last year.

Small world Ulf! I have a 1967 Dodge D200 Sweptline Custom cab Camper Special crew longbed that was sold by Reedman. I also know a guy in the Midwest with an LS6 Chevelle from this dealership. I have been told that it was an early "mega-dealer" situated on a hill, as you moved up you got also up in price range. Would be nice to see back in the day pics of the place...

http://www.reedmantoll.com/dealership/history.htm

Now the pictures are done for the Insurance policy. I love those extra reflexes under the rear bumper!!! NOT!:banghead: Just for state inspection!

Did you mount the reflectors prior to the inspection as just in case. Or did the guys at the inspection told you that the car needed those. I ask because mine got through the state inspection without any extra reflectors.

Attachments

• IMG_4942__.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 406
Today I finally was able to do the factory invoice to the dealership. I found an old type writer machine at a garage sale which worked good. On Ebay I found the 1964/1965 invoice only.

After going through all my books and notes I guess that this is the closest I can get. However I have one question; where was this factory invoice taped? I think I have seen it placed on the inside of the glass on the drivers door. I was able to find a ad from the dealership that sold my car new, University Dodge in Palo Alto, CA.

Last picture is the new invoice to the left and a copy of an old one to the right. I think it turned out great.

Ulf, I believe the invoice was attached to the right quarter window (if you have room, or the right door window if you don't). I also believe the label would not have been attached to the driver's door for two reasons (a) visibility and (b) damage to the label from rolling the window up and down.

State mandated amber reflectors or not, the car has turned out impressively well and you are by default now the world's expert on the restoration of these cars. As many have suggested the best of this entire post needs to be turned into a book for every other '63-'66 Dart owner to study.

Ulf, I believe the invoice was attached to the right quarter window (if you have room, or the right door window if you don't). I also believe the label would not have been attached to the driver's door for two reasons (a) visibility and (b) damage to the label from rolling the window up and down.

Invoice not on driver's window: Yep, I agree.

Invoice not on driver side rear window because visibility: No, I can't agree. Think about it: the driver doesn't (can't) use the rear window behind him. But he can and does use the rear window on the other side of the car.

State mandated amber reflectors or not

Red, but it doesn't matter because I'm sure they're no longer on the car!

Great work, I would love to use this thread as a reference, could you provide an index ?

Sure trapster! Go ahead and use it. Making an index would be great but would take some time.

Dan! The extra reflexes is now long gone! Thanks haven for that! Is Sweden we need them for the first Registration but after that you can use what the car came with.

Dan and Kevin! After reading your input I think the invoice will go on the left rear quarter window. I got some input from other restorers saying left side is ok. And I guess that driver's side window would not be the place!

Davescuda and forwardlook! Thanks for the kind words.

Today I finally got everything done re State inspection and Insurance. So now I can start driving it!!!!:cheers:

Forwardlook! I will have the car at both Chrysler at Carlisle and Mopar Nats. I will get in contact with MCACN but don't know if fits there. Most B and E bodies. Mopars at the Strip will be the last show before shipping it home back to Sweden with California Shipping from Los Angeles in April next year.

Plaschy

Did you mount the reflectors prior to the inspection as just in case. Or did the guys at the inspection told you that the car needed those. I ask because mine got through the state inspection without any extra reflectors.

Yes I did! In Sweden you just need them when you do the Registration. After that you don't need them.

as everybody has said, it's been great to watch this car progress...fantastic attention to detail with nothing done that wasn't from factory!! must be the greatest collection of NOS parts on any A body around....enjoy the fruits of all your work Ulf!!....now what are we all going to read?

-
Back