1965 Dodge Dart Charger

-
Ulf it's over at www.forbbodiesonly.com but don't worry I'm still a member here!! Ha!

1964 SPORT FURY CONVERTIBLE 426-S
Beauty! I need a 64 Dodge myself. What car would you like to own before you get too old to drive? Your last car to own in the Mopar hobby? A early B body. I really like the 64 Dodges. A 65 Coronet would be my next choice. I had my eye on one of those last year and my heart surgery got in the way. This year is Covid. I only have room for 2 car so I would have to sell one of mine. I don't want to. Why not have 3 cars? LOL

Beauty! I need a 64 Dodge myself. What car would you like to own before you get too old to drive? Your last car to own in the Mopar hobby? A early B body. I really like the 64 Dodges. A 65 Coronet would be my next choice. I had my eye on one of those last year and my heart surgery got in the way. This year is Covid. I only have room for 2 car so I would have to sell one of mine. I don't want to. Why not have 3 cars? LOL

Mike that is a difficult question buddy! I'd have to say exactly what I have right now but with a 4 speed. I have also looked for a 65 Satellite convert 383/426 4-speed as well. These early B Bodies have drawn me in as of late but I guess I will always be an A Body guy deep down! And yes, what's wrong with 3 cars??? Ha!

Hello @65dartcharger! I have a 65 dodge dart with the charger badges that came with a white racing stripe purchased new in October of 1965 from Berry Dodge in Oxnard, California. VIN L455115706. I still have the original 65 pink slip with both my name and my dad's name on it as I was only 18 at the time. I was wondering if it is listed in your registry?
Hi! Hope all is well during this Covid time! We're jusr survaiving I think.
Can you shoot me a PM with your email address. I would like to add you car with all the options etc to the register. If you like include a picture of the fendertag if you have more postings. Looking forward to hear from you.

During the restoration of this car I found a assembly line correct upper radiator hose. We'll, I ran across another one too. But check the different stampings on them. To me the one on the car looks older. Any input out there?

20200709_120135.jpg

20200709_120053.jpg

Today I was able to buy a NOS spare tire from an old Valiant. Goodyear Power Cushion 7.00x13 with the smaller white side. Even the shipping label from Goodyear in Akron, OH to Chryslers assembly plant in St Louis was there!

20200725_202303.jpg

20200725_203126.jpg

20200725_202332.jpg

Nice wheels you have! Are they 13" or 14"? I have two sets of 13" Cragar S/S wheels and I will sent the extra wheel I have to the chrome shop to see what they can do. The center section of the wheel is cast aluminium that is welded to the rim. I'm not sure how to handle that due to the fact that the rim should be chrome and the center should be polished! Look at the picture!

View attachment 187672

View attachment 187673
Do you still have these wheels and are they for sale?

Finally with help from my friend Keith I was able to get my hand on a factory center cap for a Dart Charger 273 w/Cragar S/S wheels. I've borrowed one years ago so I could measure the cap, the holes and big inside washer.
It is obvious for some reason that there were two different Dart Charger badges. One models were used for the fenders and the instrument panel with a total of three badges. These models has the studs verticly mounted.
Next model were used for the wheels only with 4 pieces. These badges had the studs horizontally mounted.
The center cap I got from Keith has the pins mounted vertical which means this is the wrong badge for the car. At the same time you can wonder what the reason for this were? No one could tell if they didn't get behind the center cap to have a look.
You can see the difference in the pictures.

20201106_183906.jpg

20201106_183938.jpg

20201107_103237.jpg

20201107_103303.jpg

Hi Ulf! Hope you are doing well.
I accidentally came across a Gomer Pyle USMC episode the other night. Sergeant Carter is going out on a date and is driving a 1965 Dart Charger convertible. Yellow with black interior with the Cragars and fender badge. Chrysler supplied cars for this TV series and was filmed in California in 1969. The episode is titled "To Save a Life"
I hope you can view it as I think you'll find it interesting.

I accidentally came across a Gomer Pyle USMC episode the other night. Sergeant Carter is going out on a date and is driving a 1965 Dart Charger convertible. Yellow with black interior with the Cragars and fender badge. Chrysler supplied cars for this TV series and of course the car is brand new as the episode was filmed in California in 1965. The episode is titled "To Save a Life"
\

@ 6:25
@ 6.25

Last edited:
I accidentally came across a Gomer Pyle USMC episode the other night. Sergeant Carter is going out on a date and is driving a 1965 Dart Charger convertible. Yellow with black interior with the Cragars and fender badge. Chrysler supplied cars for this TV series and was filmed in California in 1969. The episode is titled "To Save a Life"
Hi there! Doing fine and staying away from Covid-19. Social distansing in the shop works fine with me. Thank you for this episoe. I have two others but don't have this one. Funnt storry about the Dart Charger. It was bought by Universal Studios for the Lucy show. Then it was part of Gomers Pyle and finally it was used in Mexico in 1971 for a movie La Mentira. Wonder if it still exists in Mexico? I have sent several emails to the Mexican film company but no answer so far!

Glad to help out.
After posting, I googled the episode name, copied a link, was going to edit my post but toolmanmike had already done it within 2 minutes!!!

You will notice that in the credits it will say something like "Vehicles Supplied by Chrysler Corp. As toolmanmike mentioned, they also supplied cars to Beverly Hillbillies so Miss Hathaway always had a brand new Dodge convertible every year. The studios didn't buy them, the factories supplied them at no charge to get exposure to millions of viewers.
My 3 Sons always had Pontiacs, Steve had a brand new station wagon every year. Even when Mike and Robby got their first cars, they were 10-15 year old Pontiac convertibles.

I think the vehicle choices were mostly made at the studio level and not by the individual shows producers. I remember many shows that used Chrysler products and I should see if I can link some together. There was a show called "Laredo" from 65-67 that was sponsored by Chrysler and of course there was " Bob Hope Presents The Chrysler Theater" that ran 5 years from 63-67.
Every Quinn Martin production used Fords IIRC. "The FBI", "The Invaders", "Streets of San Francisco", "The Fugitive" etc. although I think "Cannon" might have used Chryslers at one point.

I remember that "Gomer Pyle" episode. Wasn't Gomer taking care of Sgt. Carter's 1960 Dodge while he was on vacation? The car got stolen and abandoned. Gomer finds it and is on the phone to the Sgt. assuring that his car is just fine only to watch as a giant wrecking ball falls on it. After Gomer recovers from the shock he is reassured by the company responsible that they will replace the car. Sgt. Carter returns and is anxious to see his old car again. Gomer explains the whole chain of events up to the point where the old car is destroyed. Sgt. Carter's head explodes and he starts to go off on Gomer. Gomer points to the new car and says that your car is right there. Sgt. Carter is at first befuddled. Abusing Gomer is his favorite activity. Slowly emerging from his cortisol fueled confusion as he hears the rest of the story he realizes that he is the beneficiary of serendipitous good fortune. Everyone shares a good laugh as Gomer has once again dazzled everyone with his earnest and honest down home wisdom and superior character. Good times.

Or maybe I'm thinking of a different episode. Holy ****, that was over 50 years ago!

I think the vehicle choices were mostly made at the studio level and not by the individual shows producers. I remember many shows that used Chrysler products and I should see if I can link some together. There was a show called "Laredo" from 65-67 that was sponsored by Chrysler and of course there was " Bob Hope Presents The Chrysler Theater" that ran 5 years from 63-67.
Every Quinn Martin production used Fords IIRC. "The FBI", "The Invaders", "Streets of San Francisco", "The Fugitive" etc. although I think "Cannon" might have used Chryslers at one point.

I remember that "Gomer Pyle" episode. Wasn't Gomer taking care of Sgt. Carter's 1960 Dodge while he was on vacation? The car got stolen and abandoned. Gomer finds it and is on the phone to the Sgt. assuring that his car is just fine only to watch as a giant wrecking ball falls on it. After Gomer recovers from the shock he is reassured by the company responsible that they will replace the car. Sgt. Carter returns and is anxious to see his old car again. Gomer explains the whole chain of events up to the point where the old car is destroyed. Sgt. Carter's head explodes and he starts to go off on Gomer. Gomer points to the new car and says that your car is right there. Sgt. Carter is at first befuddled. Abusing Gomer is his favorite activity. Slowly emerging from his cortisol fueled confusion as he hears the rest of the story he realizes that he is the beneficiary of serendipitous good fortune. Everyone shares a good laugh as Gomer has once again dazzled everyone with his earnest and honest down home wisdom and superior character. Good times.

Or maybe I'm thinking of a different episode. Holy ****, that was over 50 years ago!
Thanks for sharing. Is it possible to get a link to the episode here?

Last edited:
Here's a link on IMDB. It's just amazing the **** you can find on the net as long as it's useless like this.

"Gomer Pyle: USMC" Gomer Minds His Sergeant's Car (TV Episode 1965) - IMDb

I think I promised to send you a photo of a Wegge Dodge license plate frame. I'm getting ready to sell my house and move. I'll do it so don't let me forget.
No, I will remind you, count on me ! I would look forward to see how it looked like since they sold my Dart Charger convertible! Let me know if you know anyone having one up for sale.

You found it! It's a different episode than the one I was thinking of but that is indeed a 65 Dart Charger in the first shot. I watched that show when I was 8 or 9 years old but a little bit of Jim Nabors doing "Gomer Pyle" goes a long way. Now I just want to twist his goofy head clean off. I reckon the entire premise must look completely bizarre to you now or did you get "Gomer Pyle USMC" reruns in Sweden? Haha, I doubt it.

Last edited:
You found it! It's a different episode than the one I was thinking of but that is indeed a 65 Dart Charger in the first shot. I watched that show when I was 8 or 9 years old but a little bit of Jim Nabors doing "Gomer Pyle" goes a long way. Now I just want to twist his goofy head clean off. I reckon the entire premise must look completely bizarre to you now or did you get "Gomer Pyle USMC" reruns in Sweden? Haha, I doubt it.
No, we didn't had this show in Sweden. I wish we had it but we had Flipper instead with lots of Chrysler cars.

If you look at this episode the car didn't had the sun visors. Must have been for the shooting
I read some old Dodge dealer magazines from late 1964 and found the first add from Bell Auto offering Cragar 13" wheels for Dodge! Good news and a good start! Any of you who has seen the 14 or 15" wheels with small bolt pattern?

i have a Set of 4" small bolt Cragar SS
look at :
http://picasaweb.google.com/Signet200Valiant
Do you still have these wheels and are they eventually for sale?

No, we didn't had this show in Sweden. I wish we had it but we had Flipper instead with lots of Chrysler cars.

If you look at this episode the car didn't had the sun visors. Must have been for the shooting

Do you still have these wheels and are they eventually for sale?

You can still buy new 14"x6" small bolt pattern Cragar SS wheels from Cragar. Or are you looking for 13"?

-
Back