1965 Dodge Dart GT convertible with 318 and 727 Transmission, linkage or cables do not work.

-

Havasuhd

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a 1965 GT convertible, they put a brand new 318 and 727 transmission in the car it did not have a engine or trans when they bought it. Was not done by a mechanic and now the original automatic shift on the floor does not work properly. You have to really play with it to try and get in the right gear, cannot go up far enough to get in Park. It feels like the shifter having the movement and "click" spots just do not line up with this transmission. My local mechanics do not seem to have the knowledge of what to do. Is there just a aftermarket shift I should be putting in to line up with the new transmission or? Any info would be helpful. I am not a mechanic just playing around with the car cause I liked it. :) THANK YOU!!!

There was a company (now out of business) that made a custom cable setup to use the stock shifter with a 66-later transmission. I believe you have a couple if options: use a 65 dual cable 904. There are other considerations when using a 68-up engine OR use an aftermarket cable shifter. IIRC there is one shifter that fits under the stock console and looks similar to the stock shifter.

Congratulations on your purchase. I saw this car on Facebook and thought about buying it, but I’m out of room and have too many projects, including my own 65 Dart GT coupe and convertible. There are a lot of people on this web site better qualified than I to advise you on what to do. I heartily advise you to get a copy of the factory service manual. Things like how to adjust the shift cable and mechanism will all be covered by that, along with many other things. I’m getting ready to find out myself what is involved, because I’m going to swap out the transmission in my 65 convertible for a rebuild I bought a couple of years ago. My transmission works ok, but leaks like a sieve. Glad there’s another FABO guy in LHC. That makes two besides myself that I know of.

Thank you, I will look into that. I do have the factory manual it came with the car. Azaustin do you know anyone here in Havasu that would be qualified to fix it for me? I would like to just get it dialed in correct if someone knows what they are doing.

Unfortunately, I don’t. I will ask some buddies of mine and see if they have any recommendations. When I was the local Snap-On dealer (1978-85) I knew just about all the transmission guys from here to Kingman, but they’re all dead or retired now.

there might be an easy fix.
In your case it seems that your shifter and your manual control valve are not synced.
But before we get started, e gotta prove that your manual valve is working correctly. To do that; get the rear wheels off the ground, and disconnect the linkage off the shift lever down at the trans. Put the trans in park to lock the driveshaft, so that you know where Park is. Ok now start the engine and make sure all the gear positions work. Do not shift into Park if the driveshaft is spinning. If you find all gears, shut the engine off, and then we can proceed.
Step 1
disconnect the shift linkage off the shift lever, down at the trans. then put the trans in "Drive". It is very important that the trans be in Drive and NOT in Neutral. Next put the shifter also in drive. Next adjust the linkage/cable to drop into the lever. Lock the slack adjuster.
Step 2
Next, disconnect the linkage from the lever again. Put the trans in park, making sure park is engaged,all the way, locking the driveshaft; then put the shifter also in Park.
Now comes the Sync check.
attempt to drop the linkage back onto the shift lever. If the hole is out of alignment, you have the wrong ratio trans shift lever. So,
Step 3
figure out how to put it back into sync by moving the hole closer to the VB or further away, as the case may be, and then ,either; 1) go to the junkyard and get what you need, or 2) modify yours.

Those levers come in 2 or 3 ratios and various bends, for various bodies, and their designated linkages.. You can bet that your Early Dart never came with a 727, so if your 727 has a shiftlever on it from a Polara or something, it may not work.
Easy Fix
Happy HotRodding

Last edited:
'65 and earlier transmissions were cable-controlled. '66 and later used a mechanical linkage. It sounds like you've got a conglomeration of parts that weren't meant to work together.
Either you've got an aftermarket shifter in your future, or you will need an adapter kit like this one offered by Imperial Services that will allow you to retain your factory console and shifter:
1669861773234.png

Imperial Services - '60-'76 A-Body Parts

Maybe your local "mechanics" are just parts changers.. You need to find a real mechanic. A dying breed.

-
Back