1965 Dodge Dart headlight switch rod and knob.

-

Bills65Dart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the headlight switch, and I discovered I have 2 issues.

The rod that was with the car is too short. I can get it in, but it is such a short piece left outside the rod that when I pull it out and mount the knob I can only turn off the headlights. Not the parking/tail lights. Where can I find a longer rod ? The rod looks like it has been broken off in the end that is supposed to sit in the knob.

Issue number two, well, here I don't know what to say. But the knob appears to be identical to the wiper switch knob, so it is sort of made for a round shaft with that flat on one side. It is possible to mount it on the triangle rod, but not very sturdy. Is this as it was originally ?

What am I missing ?

Bill

Externally, the wiper knob is the same shape as the headlight knob and foes have a flat spot inside that fits over the wiper shaft. The knob has a set screw to secure it to the flat. The headlight knob and shaft is in one piece - you might have the shaft broken off and as you mentioned, the wiper knob jerry rugged in place. That’s why you’re having issues with it. I’ll take a look and see if I have an extra headlight knob

Externally, the wiper knob is the same shape as the headlight knob and foes have a flat spot inside that fits over the wiper shaft. The knob has a set screw to secure it to the flat. The headlight knob and shaft is in one piece - you might have the shaft broken off and as you mentioned, the wiper knob jerry rugged in place. That’s why you’re having issues with it. I’ll take a look and see if I have an extra headlight knob

Thank you.

Ok, I did not tell the entire story. The knob that actually came in the car has the rod on the knob like you describe, but the knob is far from a 1965 Dart knob. So, I found a set with switch, rod, and knob on ebay. It said something like 1965 Dodge Dart headlight switch with knob. I bought it, the switch is not good, but the knob looked decent and was what I was looking for.
So, obviously someone has cut off the rod from a whatever knob, and taken a wiper switch knob and put on it. Since the nut was not part of the package it worked. But when put in the car with the nut too, the rod is too short. This car have many peculiar issues, and it seems I am buying more issues.

Bill

Thank you.

Ok, I did not tell the entire story. The knob that actually came in the car has the rod on the knob like you describe, but the knob is far from a 1965 Dart knob. So, I found a set with switch, rod, and knob on ebay. It said something like 1965 Dodge Dart headlight switch with knob. I bought it, the switch is not good, but the knob looked decent and was what I was looking for.
So, obviously someone has cut off the rod from a whatever knob, and taken a wiper switch knob and put on it. Since the nut was not part of the package it worked. But when put in the car with the nut too, the rod is too short. This car have many peculiar issues, and it seems I am buying more issues.

Bill

Did not want to hang out the person who sold me the wrong stuff, but I guess if he reads this it is ok since I now know that he sold me the wrong stuff.

It’s good you now have the headlight knob as I did not locate one - found wiper knobs and some Valiant headlight knobs.

I am nowhere a purist on my 65 as I will be using 66/67 B body knobs that say “LIGHTS” and “WIPER” on them!

I just can't remember how my Dart was that I had from 1981 to 87. So then when I get something that is wrong, I don't see it, have to ask.

What I can do is weld, probably a piece of a 1/4 inch bolt or whatever the wiper switch shaft is, and grind it down on one side, and use the wiper button I have. I mean, as 65 Dartman says, they look the same on the outside. I do not have the best welding equipment for it though, but might pull if off.

Bill

-
Back