1965 Dodge Dart Steering wheel.

-

Bills65Dart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a 1964 Dodge Dart original steering wheel is the same as the 1965 Dodge Dart Steering wheel ? Been looking for someone asking about that, but could not find any in the Early A-body discussion forum.

Bill

64 and 65 are the same what I know of. Not sure about the horn ring though!

Then I know of 2 from 1964, but they have no horn ring. They are in a miserable shape, so I suspect I have to fix it, paint it, and make a form for it, and then crush all the old plastic, and clean it and cast new plastic on it. Has anyone done anything like that ? It is the California heat that has done them in.

Bill

Then I know of 2 from 1964, but they have no horn ring. They are in a miserable shape, so I suspect I have to fix it, paint it, and make a form for it, and then crush all the old plastic, and clean it and cast new plastic on it. Has anyone done anything like that ? It is the California heat that has done them in.

Bill
I’ve got one that is in rebuildable condition. Do you have any pictures of your wheel and horn ring?

Jake

I’ve got one that is in rebuildable condition. Do you have any pictures of your wheel and horn ring?

Jake

My current steering wheel I am too embarrassed to show you. It is a silly little 13,5 inch "GT" steering wheel with a black soft rubber rim. It is horrible to maneuver with since it is so small. I don't know how large the original ones are supposed to be, but bigger than this.
This is all I have, the other 2 I mentioned is something I would need to go and get.

I wish I could find one from a 1965 that has all the parts.

Bill

My current steering wheel I am too embarrassed to show you. It is a silly little 13,5 inch "GT" steering wheel with a black soft rubber rim. It is horrible to maneuver with since it is so small. I don't know how large the original ones are supposed to be, but bigger than this.
This is all I have, the other 2 I mentioned is something I would need to go and get.

Bill
Cool. I’ll get you some pictures this weekend.

Jake

I wish I could find one from a 1965 that has all the parts.

Bill
I might have a complete one. Shipping is something else! Otherwise 65 dartman might have one for you.

I might have a complete one. Shipping is something else! Otherwise 65 dartman might have one for you.

I see my name was mentioned! The wheel that came off my 65 was so bad I tossed it! However, I do have 2 of the optional woodgrained steering wheels that I won’t be using as I am going in a different direction on my 65

63-66 a-body Dodge and Plymouth standard wheels are the same as well as the chrome horn rings, horn buttons will fit but have different logos between models and years

I see my name was mentioned! The wheel that came off my 65 was so bad I tossed it! However, I do have 2 of the optional woodgrained steering wheels that I won’t be using as I am going in a different direction on my 65
For sale?

Does anyone know if a 1964 Dodge Dart original steering wheel is the same as the 1965 Dodge Dart Steering wheel ? Been looking for someone asking about that, but could not find any in the Early A-body discussion forum.

Bill

Those who have an original steering wheel and wants to sell me one, can you please send me an email so we can exchance the regular pleasantries. :)
It is, and please remove the spaces and put in the proper (at) sign.

te 2 0 plu s (a t ) g ma i l . c om

And yes, for those who wonders, the te20 is from the UK built Ferguson TE 20 series farm tractors. (the UK version of the American built TO 20).

Bill

Tjenare, hur mår du ? (Hello, how are you). Yes, that was kind of a little backwards, to send a steering wheel from Sweden to US. I wish I had my old station wagon over there, who knows where that is located these days.

Bill

I think they are the same. I have a 64 tagged with the horn ring and a 66 tagged, both look the same. My 65 plymouth horn ring looks different, but it's a 270 ring (not dart or dart gt)and seems to be a full circle instead of a pie shaped horn ring but the wheel is the same as the dart.
I restored mine to the shape and color I wanted my car to be. I used PC7 epoxy and followed a youtube video about notching and grinding the plastic to have a good bonded part. (I bead blasted the plastic first and removed all the rust on the metal steering wheel ring)

DSCF3016.JPG

DSCF3014.JPG

DSCF4120.jpg

DSCF4123.jpg

DSCF3012.JPG
DSCF3011 - Copy.JPG
DSCF3530.JPG
DSCF4118.jpg

DSCF4121.jpg

I think they are the same. I have a 64 tagged with the horn ring and a 66 tagged, both look the same. My 65 plymouth horn ring looks different, but it's a 270 ring (not dart or dart gt)and seems to be a full circle instead of a pie shaped horn ring but the wheel is the same as the dart.
I restored mine to the shape and color I wanted my car to be. I used PC7 epoxy and followed a youtube video about notching and grinding the plastic to have a good bonded part. (I bead blasted the plastic first and removed all the rust on the metal steering wheel ring)

View attachment 1715366532
View attachment 1715366531
View attachment 1715366535
View attachment 1715366537

View attachment 1715366530 View attachment 1715366528 View attachment 1715366533 View attachment 1715366534

View attachment 1715366536

Nice pictures, and nice steering wheel. From Norway I have heard that some people use the kind of paint they use when they produce fiberglass boats, I mean the polyester and fiberglass. They paint the inside of the form with some kind of special paint, and then they put polyester on it, and fiberglass in layers and layers until the boat is done. Then the remove it from the form, and you can see the shiny paint on the outside of the boat. This paint is supposed to be extremely wear resistant. But, I have never seen a steering wheel myself restored with this paint, just heard people talking about it. And I have no clue what kind of colors you can get it in either. And I don't know any name for that paint either.

Bill

Tjenare, hur mår du ? (Hello, how are you). Yes, that was kind of a little backwards, to send a steering wheel from Sweden to US. I wish I had my old station wagon over there, who knows where that is located these days.
Hej!
Have you shipped a wagon to Sweden? Well, I've sent lots of stuff back to US. Mostly FABO members!

Nice pictures, and nice steering wheel. From Norway I have heard that some people use the kind of paint they use when they produce fiberglass boats, I mean the polyester and fiberglass. They paint the inside of the form with some kind of special paint, and then they put polyester on it, and fiberglass in layers and layers until the boat is done. Then the remove it from the form, and you can see the shiny paint on the outside of the boat. This paint is supposed to be extremely wear resistant. But, I have never seen a steering wheel myself restored with this paint, just heard people talking about it. And I have no clue what kind of colors you can get it in either. And I don't know any name for that paint either.

Bill
I used ordinary paint it lasts at least 8 years! I do use clearcoat though.

I used ordinary paint it lasts at least 8 years! I do use clearcoat though.

I have had two 1965 Ford Galaxie 4 door sent to Norway where I originally come from, while I lived there. But never a Dart. The Dart station wagon was sold new in Norway, in Fyresdal in Telemark, where they first had Drag racing in Norway before it was moved to Gardermoen. The Dart was used as a Taxi cab for many years, and when I overhauled the engine the ring gaps was over 1/8 of an inch, but still purred as a cat and gave good gas mileage too. Better gas mileage worn out with the original Carter carb, than after it was overhauled and with the new Holley 1920. :)

I so loved that car, and then I ended up with Fords after that. Now I seem to be back to Mopar again. :) Even if my daily driver is a 2004 Grand Marquis, but it did not turn out the way I hoped for, way too stiff suspension.

Bill

Strange.....! I've never seen a 1965 A-body with a horn button.
The cheapest 1965 Valiant V100 and Dart all had the half horn ring. Valiant V200 and Dart 270 had full horn ring as an option and finally Valiant Signet and Dart GT had full horn ring as standard. Re Valiant I might be wrong on the Signet model.

I have had two 1965 Ford Galaxie 4 door sent to Norway where I originally come from, while I lived there. But never a Dart. The Dart station wagon was sold new in Norway, in Fyresdal in Telemark, where they first had Drag racing in Norway before it was moved to Gardermoen. The Dart was used as a Taxi cab for many years, and when I overhauled the engine the ring gaps was over 1/8 of an inch, but still purred as a cat and gave good gas mileage too. Better gas mileage worn out with the original Carter carb, than after it was overhauled and with the new Holley 1920. :)

I so loved that car, and then I ended up with Fords after that. Now I seem to be back to Mopar again. :) Even if my daily driver is a 2004 Grand Marquis, but it did not turn out the way I hoped for, way too stiff suspension.

Bill
I was out driving on Lofoten and started talking with a guy who said he had a Dart. We followed him and in his barn he had a red 1965 Dart wagon sold new in Norway. How cool is that!

Strange.....! I've never seen a 1965 A-body with a horn button.
The cheapest 1965 Valiant V100 and Dart all had the half horn ring. Valiant V200 and Dart 270 had full horn ring as an option and finally Valiant Signet and Dart GT had full horn ring as standard. Re Valiant I might be wrong on the Signet model.

Not strange at all. We were talking about 1964 steering wheel. The 65 had horn rings.

Bill

I was out driving on Lofoten and started talking with a guy who said he had a Dart. We followed him and in his barn he had a red 1965 Dart wagon sold new in Norway. How cool is that!

Mine was red, like wine red metallic. But last time I saw it, someone had used a roller for painting houses, and rolled it matt black. I wanted to cry when I saw it. It looked so sad.
When did you see this ? Maybe someone bought my old Wagon and have restored it and given it a good home.

Bill

-
Back