1965 drum/front end and rear end worth the swap to 1964?

-

Ed Ruhl

Reaction score
Hello all
I have a 1964 Valiant Barracuda slant 6 and a 1965 V8 parts car. I wanted to ask forum guru's if switching to the larger front end components (upper and lower control arms) from the 1965 and the larger drums would be worth doing (as my 1964 has the smaller components). Neither have sway bar option.
I believe the rear end would have to be swapped as well for the rear drums.
I just purchased adjustable control arms that have the larger upper ball joints so I could use them if I swapped out the front end parts.
I believe the cost would just be my labor, assuming the break lines can be detached.
DO you think it is Worth doing?
My new project is a 1964 from Texas (so clean frame and floor) redoing and making it my daily driver.
Any relevant thoughts appreciated.
Ed

The big ball joint in the adjustable upper control arms won't fit the 65 spindles. The 73 and up disc brake set up from an A body will fit the big ball joint control arms, as that's what they came with anyway. If you swap to that brake set up, it will give the big bolt pattern also, and you will need new wheels. You could swap in a big bolt pattern 8 1/4 rearend also, in order to have the same bolt pattern on the wheels front and back.

Hello all
I have a 1964 Valiant Barracuda slant 6 and a 1965 V8 parts car. I wanted to ask forum guru's if switching to the larger front end components (upper and lower control arms) from the 1965 and the larger drums would be worth doing (as my 1964 has the smaller components). Neither have sway bar option.
I believe the rear end would have to be swapped as well for the rear drums.
I just purchased adjustable control arms that have the larger upper ball joints so I could use them if I swapped out the front end parts.
I believe the cost would just be my labor, assuming the break lines can be detached.
DO you think it is Worth doing?
My new project is a 1964 from Texas (so clean frame and floor) redoing and making it my daily driver.
Any relevant thoughts appreciated.
Ed
The only thing different between the 64 and 65 front ends would be the spindles and brake parts, if one has 9 inch brakes, and the other has 10 inch brakes.

The only thing different between the 64 and 65 front ends would be the spindles and brake parts, if one has 9 inch brakes, and the other has 10 inch brakes.
Thanks for the help, I will prob stick with 9" drums, save all the parts from the 65 until I switch over the master cyl and do it all at once, control arms will just have to be returned and new small ball joints will do!

-
Back