1965 MMP's Barracuda Hemi swap! The Ever Changing Build

-
Just found your build, this is sweet I will be following! What angle did you set the diff at?

Just found your build, this is sweet I will be following! What angle did you set the diff at?
So jag has 3 different housings set at 3 different angles. 0*, 6* and I think 3*. Well I happen to get the 6* what this means is the mounting surface at the top of the diff case is at a 6* angle to the pinon at 0*. So taking in account that this unit it not solid mounted it will flex some. I set my mounting angle at 5* so my pinon is at 1*. My trans it at 4* this allows me 3* flex under load. Then I had to figure out how much swing in inches a 5* angle will change my axle location on 8" from axes, turns out to be about .5" so I had to place the hole unit .5" forward of center to get the axles centered. It sounds soo much easier typing it out lol... Doing it was a pain in the ***! and the math was ******* with my head... :BangHead:
I will say after doing all the math and **** for the triangulated 4 link then switching up and doing IRS. This was soo much easier. Surprising cause I chose the 4 link setup over this first only cause I was worried at the amount of work that would be needed and the lack of IRS info for this platform.
In the end curiosity killed the cat and I'm glad it did. I'm soo much happier with this than I would have been with the straight axle...
This weekend I'll build lower torque arms for the front of the diff housing, as wells as a set of rear toque arms. I will have to narrow the half shafts and lower control arms to fit larger set of wheels, as well as have the full diff rebuild. OH and I now have a full four wheel disc brakes for a fraction of cost for a rear Disc conversion :D

Didn't get too much time in the garage. My brother and I took the kids shooting this weekend. But I was able to get the front torque arms built and the front mount plate drilled. Should have it ready to mount up tonight.

20180224_084802.jpg
20180224_084754.jpg

Last edited:
Will you be using a fuel cell or is there enough room for the stock gas tank?

Greg

What will your lug pattern be?
The Jag is a 5 x 4.75 and I'm running adapters that allow me to run 5 x 4.5 when I'm done and yank it all back out again to rebuild and narrow it before body and paint I plan on predrilling the hub for 5 x 4.5" For these wheels I'll still run spacers. I'm trying to anticipate different as well as wider wheels in the future.

Will you be using a fuel cell or is there enough room for the stock gas tank?
Greg
Using a Magnum Mopar OEM style stock tank Modified for EFI. I have plenty of room, more in fact than I would have with a 4link and coil overs. The unique part of this rear-end is that almost everything is inboard and on top near the frame. When all said and done the only bit you'll see is the hub carrier behind the mag wheels and its soo much smaller than the drum brakes. It will definitely have people scratching there heads at the local show n shines.. lol

EDIT: edit here I was dumb and completely wrong I didn't have the room I needed and had to mod the tank... Keep reading you'll see... lol

Last edited:
Sometimes a good thing can be a royal pain in the ***!
Made an attempt to mount up my front torque plate and arms. An got caught up in dealing with stipped treads on one end of the lower arm bolt/pins and a seized bolt on the other end... ugh
Had to drop the damn rearend and still didn't get it worked out.... ******* jaaaaaggggs
Hoping to get it worked out tonight. Only thing stopping me is that it has been Sooo cold her latey.
I mean i had to put on a sweater and long socks just to work on the floor under my car last night... ugh

20180228_202011.jpg
20180228_202017.jpg
20180228_202006.jpg
20180228_202125.jpg

After a **** ton of fumbling around with the lower fulcrum pin's I was able to get my forward torque arm mount plate finished and bolted up.
Got the rear-end back into the car (Such an easy drop in / drop out setup) Once it was back in I was able to setup the forward mounts for the torque arms. Got it all figured out and then welded one wrong... :BangHead: lol This is where I turned off the welder and went to sit with the wife on the couch with a stiff drink... Ugh :mad:
Now that it's Monday I can run and get a new mount bracket to finish the setup... again :wtf:

These are the only pictures I have from this weekend and fuckup... lol
I'll post pic's of my screw up later tonight when i get back into the garage

The Bracket in the pictures below are correct. It's the forward frame mount on the passenger side I screwed up
20180302_160554.jpg
20180302_160557.jpg

Last edited:
So picked up the another bracket to replace the screwed up passanger side; got it welded up and ready to go in.
I was able to get the drivers side in and finished. Tomorrow I'll finish the other side.

20180305_185846.jpg

Here I'm welding up the passanger side bracket to replace the other one in the pictures. I had made two driversides and no passangerside.. lol oops..
20180305_185834.jpg

20180305_185837.jpg
20180305_192352.jpg
20180305_192401.jpg
20180305_195614.jpg
20180305_195606.jpg
20180305_195619.jpg
20180305_195652.jpg

Last edited:
So finished up the passenger torque arm last night. the rear-end is solid... Next I have to shorten the lower arms and axles by 2" each side then I can build my coil over mounts and put the car on the ground. This may take a bit of time. I have to raise the money needed to shorten the axles. I don't have the tooling or the knowledge needed to do them correctly. The lower arms I may have to do myself :eek:
Until then I'll have to find something else to modify, Maybe I'll finish that intake and throttle body set up :rolleyes:
Also I was interested in what the wheels would look like with the hub only behind them.. Looks pretty spinally and delicate with out brakes out board for a hot rod... ahahhaha

20180306_185812.jpg
20180306_190018.jpg
20180306_190025.jpg
20180306_190036.jpg
20180306_190235.jpg

20180306_190147.jpg

20180306_190244.jpg

20180306_190131.jpg

Didn't get any fab work done this weekend. I dropped the rear end back out of the car, and tore down the suspension bits. I need to get everything cleaned up so I can start cutting down the lower arms, and have the axles shafts narrowed. Need to save up moneys for a diff rebuild and Locker setup.
Ordered a Jag manual so I can get the correct parts and bearing for everything. Oh and I also ordered a matching driveshaft for the Jag unit. I'll need to have it modded to fit a moper yoke up front. I should have to book and driveshaft by the 15th.

20180311_115836.jpg

20180311_122124.jpg
20180311_133659.jpg
20180311_133655.jpg

in case anyone who may be following this build gets the independent rear bug......I have a drop out independent differential.... complete with cradle, brakes, springs, shocks out of a 2014 Dodge Challenger....cheap.

in case anyone who may be following this build gets the independent rear bug......I have a drop out independent differential.... complete with cradle, brakes, springs, shocks out of a 2014 Dodge Challenger....cheap.
I myself am thinking about installing the torque tube, rear mounted 6 speed and IRS from a c5/c6 vette. All that behind a 6.1 or 6.4 Hemi.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled program. Lol

That would be all out nutz and challange you to do it!
There’s a guy that will narrow or widen the cradle to fit nearly any car and he builds bolt on centrol arm mounts as well so once you get 2x4 rear frame rails installed, it’s basically a bolt in deal. Course then there’s the floor/tunnel work for the torque tube and trans and figuring out a way to bolt the Hemi to the torque tube.

This is all a long time and a lot of money away... :( lol

Here’s a link to an article about the cradles.
Bolt a Corvette IRS Suspension Into Your Project! - Hot Rod Network

I love what you've done. I have to ask though. Why are you shortening the axles? It looks to me like it's dead on with the width and wheels you have? Is fatter meats your goal?

Greg

I love what you've done. I have to ask though. Why are you shortening the axles? It looks to me like it's dead on with the width and wheels you have? Is fatter meats your goal?
Greg

Yes and no... lol
Okay as the suspension hangs everything look fit. BUT as the suspension compresses the wheels swing out till there on plane. As they swing above plane they swing back in. While on plane I'm rubbing hard on the inner fender..
In order to fit larger wheels in the future I want to remove 2" from each side. This will allow wheel movement as the suspension compresses and decompresses. But will still allow me to fit some larger tires in the well and still tuck them under the lip.
Also by moving the hub in closer to the pivot point it reduces the tire movement during suspension load and unload

Tried finding a Diagram that explained it sorry these were the best I could do
622ae42s-960.jpg

16-radius-arm.jpg

Last edited:
Got my new/used jag drive shaft last night. Amazon says the jag book will be here tonight, and Ups say the rear diff tie bar will be here soon!?!.
Pulled the calipers off and have them soaking in a chemical bath. hopefully I'll be able to brake them apart and pop out the pots so I can do a good rebuild and get them ready for service. Also going try and pull the hubs apart tonight, I need to get the axle shafts off.

driveshaft.jpg

Got the axles apart and ready and also got my book and that's about all I did this weekend. Had a weekend or lax and leisure...

20180315_130336.jpg
20180316_103353.jpg

I was able to get more of the rear-end broken down for rebuild. I have the axles and lower arms clean now and ready. The brakes clean and broken down for sand blast and rebuild. Rebuild kits and new stainless caliper pistons are on order.
I was also able to jump back on the manifold project this weekend. Cut the port holes, clean them up and smooth them out. I did a final clean and degrease of the manifold before making a base gasket and marrying the blower base plate to the manifold for the last time. With exception of the location for the MAP sensor the manifold is finished. Yea! now I'm refurbishing the whipple at the moment. Everything looks really good. Just cleaning everything up and getting it back together for finial install.

20180323_130756.jpg
20180323_130744.jpg
20180323_130812.jpg
20180325_141004.jpg
20180323_151553.jpg
20180323_172831.jpg
20180323_172822.jpg
20180323_172848.jpg
20180325_141137.jpg
20180324_205854.jpg

Last edited:
Man I'm sitting here stressing off wanting to buy a hotchkiss suspension kit for my duster where I have to weld in spring relocation kit and here you are building one amazing Barracuda! Can't wait to see the rest!

Just found this thread and read through the entire thing! This is freaking sick! Teach me everything you know!!! I'm not too far away actually, just on the other side of the hill at the 10/57 interchange. Lol.

-
Back