1965 MMP's Barracuda Hemi swap! The Ever Changing Build

-
So I decided to bite the bullet and I found and ordered a EPAS setup with a controller unit. I didn't opt for a expensive controller I got the next step down. But for a $100 bucks more I could have gotten a controller that regulated the amount of pressure via the axle or drive shaft speed (slower the shaft spin the more pressure giving / faster the spin less pressure given from the box)
I was able to find a unit that had the whole steering linkage for an aft of the EPAS box
Anybody know if grant makes a kit that will fit the Saturn Vue wheel splines? :steering:

I've read the two threads about this that fabo members have pointed out to me (thank you gentlemen) and the ford thread
I think I can do this....? :rolleyes:
$35 Electric Power Steering with Fail-Safe - No eBay module and no caster issues!!!
Electric power steering Not sure I'm going to do it that same way as Barry, but well see..
$100 Power Steering? Yes you can. Use Column Electric Power Assist System (EPAS) ! - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum

So this will be the next project after I finalize the rearend

I should have these in about a week.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg

So I decided to bite the bullet and I found and ordered a EPAS setup with a controller unit. I didn't opt for a expensive controller I got the next step down. But for a $100 bucks more I could have gotten a controller that regulated the amount of pressure via the axle or drive shaft speed (slower the shaft spin the more pressure giving / faster the spin less pressure given from the box)
I was able to find a unit that had the whole steering linkage for an aft of the EPAS box
Anybody know if grant makes a kit that will fit the Saturn Vue wheel splines? :steering:

I've read the two threads about this that fabo members have pointed out to me (thank you gentlemen) and the ford thread
I think I can do this....? :rolleyes:
$35 Electric Power Steering with Fail-Safe - No eBay module and no caster issues!!!
Electric power steering Not sure I'm going to do it that same way as Barry, but well see..
$100 Power Steering? Yes you can. Use Column Electric Power Assist System (EPAS) ! - Ford Muscle Forums : Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum

So this will be the next project after I finalize the rearend

I should have these in about a week.

View attachment 1715246513 View attachment 1715246514
Looking good dude!!! I just EAS'd from Pendleton so it's weird being back in the Midwest and seeing places like Yorba Linda, Lompoc, and Barstow on forums. Stay safe bro I heard that whole area is in flames right now. Semper Fi!!!

Looking good dude!!! I just EAS'd from Pendleton so it's weird being back in the Midwest and seeing places like Yorba Linda, Lompoc, and Barstow on forums. Stay safe bro I heard that whole area is in flames right now. Semper Fi!!!
Happy MCB weekend Semper FI.
I dont know about anyone else on the forum but the fire is quite far north west of me and moving west towards Malibu and the ocean. So I'm good.
Enjoy your civilian post... You will never be a civilian

Happy MCB weekend Semper FI.
I dont know about anyone else on the forum but the fire is quite far north west of me and moving west towards Malibu and the ocean. So I'm good.
Enjoy your civilian post... You will never be a civilian
Oh well at least it's pushing away then. I plan on having a steak and a beer (or a few more) for the birthday this weekend. I'm starting to figure out that the feeling of being a civilian is a foreign concept. Lucky for me, the project management position I got is full of vets as well. They're mostly Air Force (since I work on Tinker AFB), but they're still vets nonetheless. I'm envious you have that much of a start on your ride. Mine has been sitting in a shop for the past 5 years while I was out in Pendleton, 2-9, and the sandbox. I'm planning on making it up first week of December to bring it back down and start up on it, but we'll see how the weather is (NOT sunny and 75 here).

Oh well at least it's pushing away then. I plan on having a steak and a beer (or a few more) for the birthday this weekend. I'm starting to figure out that the feeling of being a civilian is a foreign concept. Lucky for me, the project management position I got is full of vets as well. They're mostly Air Force (since I work on Tinker AFB), but they're still vets nonetheless. I'm envious you have that much of a start on your ride. Mine has been sitting in a shop for the past 5 years while I was out in Pendleton, 2-9, and the sandbox. I'm planning on making it up first week of December to bring it back down and start up on it, but we'll see how the weather is (NOT sunny and 75 here).
Screenshot_20181109-093156_Weather.jpg

:poke::icon_fU::D

So my new used EPAS unit was delivered today.
Going out of town tomorrow so not going to be able to play with it till i get back... but it here and will update when we start messing with it :)

20181115_191414.jpg
20181115_191429.jpg
20181115_191541.jpg

Back in the garage. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.
Received the controller unit for the epas unit. So that kit should be ready to go when ready to tackle that project.
Rolled the Barracuda out of the garage today to clean up the place. First time the car has been out of the garage in many months. Looks good I like the stance at the moment.

20181124_141655.jpg
20181124_141710.jpg
20181124_141720.jpg

Looking good!!! I finally get to grab mine out of storage next week to get started so I'm definitely pumped up!!!

Well its hard to see from the pictures below but its finished... :eek:
Just finished welding and bolted up the last of the torque arms needed to keep the diff in place. Just need to finish bolting everything in adjust pinion angle and slap on the tire and I can move on to the next can of worms.
Speaking of, i have a few patch holes to weldup under the rear seat and then need to locate a clean dash so i can start in on the EPAS setup.

20181207_160546.jpg
20181205_202029.jpg
20181205_202014.jpg
20181215_152126.jpg
20181215_152411.jpg

Small update with a confession. I haven't done anything on the car since I finished the rear-end. Not that I didn't want to just a lack of projects and parts as well as funds. I have been hot and heavy on my Harley restoration though.. and getting to a stall point. I'm just waiting on the motor now.. As for the Barracuda I need a dash uncut to build the EPAS, Need the proper head gaskets to finish the block allowing me to move forward with the supercharger manifold and build/install..
But the big update is I got my Dakota Digital gauge cluster back and it is amazing! The people at Dakota Digital went above and beyond to get me exactly what I needed for this build and it shows. I'm aww struck by this.. its ******* unreal really the picture don't do it justice at all. I can not wait to be sitting behind this at the wheel.

20190121_104746.jpg
20190121_110020.jpg
20190121_105928.jpg

Awesome build man. I would like to know a little more about the pricing on the guages. I've priced some universal Dakota Digitals. I'm willing to pay for the quality guages. I'm interested to see what they charged you for a custom build? I tried to message you, but your box is full. If you don't want to post the info you can message me. Thanks, keep up the great work..

Got some stuff last night...
New head gaskets to handle boost... Only took a month to get. "I Thought" I would be smart and use a gift card I got for Christmas (AutoZone) First order sent to wrong address, 2nd lost in transit.... :BangHead: Third time was a charm.. Autozone was no help in this matter... ugh ( Part# 1008 )
20190130_175319.jpg
10375994_10152265292672882_5691969192136038392_n.jpg

Next thanks to @sgrip65 I was able to get a uncut dash frame. NonGT and with out Pad holes :D
Soo excited, I can start the EPAS mod and get rid of the stock / hacked dash I have now..

20190130_175351.jpg
fregile.jpg
:rofl:

20190130_175734.jpg
20190130_175741.jpg
20190130_175737.jpg

Got some stuff last night...
New head gaskets to handle boost... Only took a month to get. "I Thought" I would be smart and use a gift card I got for Christmas (AutoZone) First order sent to wrong address, 2nd lost in transit.... :BangHead: Third time was a charm.. Autozone was no help in this matter... ugh ( Part# 1008 )
View attachment 1715283262 View attachment 1715283263

Next thanks to @sgrip65 I was able to get a uncut dash frame. NonGT and with out Pad holes :D
Soo excited, I can start the EPAS mod and get rid of the stock / hacked dash I have now..

View attachment 1715283268 View attachment 1715283269 :rofl:

View attachment 1715283272 View attachment 1715283273 View attachment 1715283274

MM, Looks like you are moving along. Indeed, lots of work to do a car. I will follow along as you proceed. As always, finding the parts is half the fun. That dash might like it a bit better living in Ca. Your weather might be a bit better than here as we had 60 below zero with the wind chill, and a negative 34 actual temp. Let me know if I can help you with anything else on your project. Best. sgrip65

Last edited:
Anybody need a "i'm guessing" 64 Door? I need to get it out of my garage.
I bought this door early last year and intended on using it so I didn't have to do and patch repair.
Right just swap the rust out for no rust door Bam...... ugh

20190228_064647.jpg

:poke:

20190228_064659.jpg
20190228_064705.jpg

Turns out the latch on the 65 door is alot bigger and more robust.
And has a open latch design where the white 64? door has a closed latch design...
Its also look as though they are not in the same position :poke:

20190228_064715.jpg
20190228_064722.jpg

On a good note though I'm pushing forward on the Whipple manifold build and I ordered Siemens Deka 60lb injectors and a 3 bar map sensor. I'm going to ditch the corvette single butterfly throttle body and use a LT1 dual butterfly setup. So moving on

I'm glad I found this one. Awesome work on the Jag IRS...I wondered about doing this a few years ago...lo and behold I find someone who's done it.

Picking this up today at CPP while i'm on lunch for the Barracuda.

63-74 A B E BODY MOPAR CHRYSLER DODGE 8" DUAL POWER BRAKE BOOSTER DISC / DISC
#6374BB4-8D

s-l1600.jpg

Features:
  • 8" dual diaphragm power brake booster
  • Mopar Performance master cylinder
  • Correct firewall brackets
  • Pedal linkage
  • Preset brass proportioning valve (Disc/Disc)
This Mopar power brake booster kit will come assembled as shown and is designed to be bolted on the firewall. It is the perfect addition to your upgraded disc brake system.

(Part# 6374BB4-8D)

Last edited:
Wow, I just discovered this thread! Darn, I thought I was going to have the only early Barracuda with IRS!
2018-08-31 tubs.jpg

So my next project will be adding the EPAS system to the car. But in order to do that I need to change out the Dash. So that where I started last night. Dash removal...

20190305_191029.jpg

This is as far as i got last night. I'm going to be pulling the AC unit from this car. Not sure if anyone wants it or if its even worth saving. If you want it or know someone who dose, let me know..

20190305_200046.jpg

When I pulled the dash I found these between the seam of the dash and windshield gasket.

20190305_200853.jpg

Awesome project. The blower looks more like a Kenne Bell than a Whipple.
It does. It's almost like a cross between its' got Whipple front and back plates and bearings, with I can only guess is the KB snout using the KB spider gear drive bushing, as well as the KB case with Whipple stickers on it. :realcrazy:

So I should be finishing the "supercharger manifold setup" this coming week. I have found and ordered all the needed parts. They are either here or inbound.
I have the manifold it self finished with exception of the MAP 2bar placement. Once i have it all put together I can place the MAP in a good spot.
I also have the Siemens Deka 60lb injectors. I went with the 48mm bringing the fuel rail down hopefully clearing the JBP Whipple LSx inlet elbow and 92mm LSx throttle body. I'll be running the LS TPS and LS IAC valve. Should all be a nice compact setup. Hopefully I'll have the last remaining parts by next week.

20190310_101047.jpg
20190310_102511.jpg
20190310_101058.jpg
W 99323S.JPG
20190310_104808.jpg
20190310_104822.jpg

-
Back