1965 MMP's Barracuda Hemi swap! The Ever Changing Build

-
Finally an update.
Gauge cluster shipping out today for Dakota Digital. After beating it around with Josh at Dakota I've decided to scrap the cable drive speedo and go all elc. I'll still continue with the tans mod, but will run a elc drive wheel. Not that I need it now, the 46RE has two speed censors to use.
20180910_114843.jpg
20180910_114831.jpg

I took most of my only Saturday I have had off in almost 3month and finally got my lower IRS arms cut down. I also ordered a set of bronze race bushings for the Jag rearend. once I have them I can tack the lowers. Mock them up and make sure all my measurement are right then i can do a final weld before moving on to the upper shock mounts before dropping the car on the ground.. Hardest part of this whole rearend mod is finally done.
20180908_084240.jpg
20180908_085706.jpg
20180908_090024.jpg
20180908_093305.jpg
20180908_103617.jpg
20180908_110136.jpg

20180908_110240.jpg

20180908_111019.jpg

Last edited:
Got my jag race bushings for the lower arms today. Now I can intall the bushings set the correct length for the lowers tack. Mock up rearend check for fitment before i can do the final weld to the lower arms, then i can button up the rearend. So jazzed at the moment :usflag:

20180917_180552.jpg

Tinkering at work, going home tonight to set out and tack weld the lowers. Also last night I chucked the bushing in the freezer, should be all shrunk and ready to drop in once the lowers are tacked :D

20180918_125611.jpg
20180918_125623.jpg
20180918_125605.jpg

Got started on the rearend mock up last night. lowers are on, bushings installed. Then I got the hubs cleaned up and ready. Tonight I'll install the axles and hubs, then mount the wheels and cycles the suspension while spinning the axles/wheels/ect looking for anything that might be an issue... I can see the light at the end of the diff swap tunnel... :rolleyes:

20180918_184728.jpg
20180918_184744.jpg

20180919_200929.jpg
20180919_184824.jpg

20180919_184814.jpg

Last edited:
Just found your thread and read through the whole thing last night... wonderful job. I, too, have always wanted to do an IRS on an A-bdy (especially an early A-bdy, 63-66 Dart). Just before moving from FL back to OR after 13 years, I was offered and had to pass on a Jag IRS for $100. (Charlotte County, if anyone is interested, contact me.)

I wasn't aware of the three different mounting angles of the carrier, I also thought all of them were Dana 44, thanks for the heads up.

I'm making the assumption, and please confirm, the the design is of an "equal length control arm" configuration? If so, had you considered making the uppers slightly shorter than the lowers in order to have some rear caster? Also, I think by using the different carrier housings, one could build in positive or negative caster while maintaining the correct pinion angle.

Your design and engineering looks very well thought out. The one possible concern I have is whether the forward torque arms (strut rods?) will sufficiently counter the nose up tendency of the carrier during hard acceleration... (which I'm sure you would NEVER do with a tiny whippled 5.9 Magnum! LOL) As always, there are many ways to skin a cat. As I was reading through the build, I was envisioning a true torque arm, like in a Gen3 or Gen4 Camaro, and a panhard bar to the bottom of the carrier to counter side to side movement.

I'd like to hear your (or anyone else's) thoughts on these ideas.

I'm subscribed, can't wait to see the finished product. You are getting close to being under it's own power. However, I really hate finding truly exciting threads like this one, before they are completed. It's like having to wait for the final chapters to be written. SO much better being able to read all the way to the end! LOL

Mike(y) B
SO grateful to be back in OR after WAY too long!

I'm making the assumption, and please confirm, the the design is of an "equal length control arm" configuration? If so, had you considered making the uppers slightly shorter than the lowers in order to have some rear caster? Also, I think by using the different carrier housings, one could build in positive or negative caster while maintaining the correct pinion angle.
The upper, Do you mean the Axles? There is no upper suspension arms. Changing the axle length would not effect caster only camber.
jaguar_rear_suspension-3d-model-19427-59059.jpg

The Caster was set using the jag factory angle from the "cage" all I did was adapt it to fit the car without the cage. That's why when welding the upper crossmember mount in I had to roll it back a few deg's = .5" roll to match there design but still have my axles center.
As to the question of camber there is no need the Jag rearend has this option built into the design. It's adjusted at the base of the axle where it meets the disc and caliper. There are a series of spacer that can be removed or added in order to get the +/- camber you desire.

Your design and engineering looks very well thought out. The one possible concern I have is whether the forward torque arms (strut rods?) will sufficiently counter the nose up tendency of the carrier during hard acceleration... (which I'm sure you would NEVER do with a tiny whippled 5.9 Magnum! LOL) As always, there are many ways to skin a cat. As I was reading through the build, I was envisioning a true torque arm, like in a Gen3 or Gen4 Camaro, and a panhard bar to the bottom of the carrier to counter side to side movement.
Yes the forward torque arms are pretty heavy duty and are a solid to frame mount (bushing isolated at Diff mount ) but is also adjustable in order to have correct pinion angle (expected with bushings a 3* flex) these arms are long and set to account for upward torque roll as well as the upper mount. That mount I decided was better off copying jags fore and aft setup unlike the hot rodders of the 80-90's side to side style mount. This also helps with the side to side motion. Now I still have a few more bits I have to build to finish this. I have to get the lowers mocked up so I can build the lower strut arms, rear rods??, and coil over mounts. All will effect the limit in which the rear end will move under load.
I knew going into this that I wasn't as smart as the designers of the suspension so I only adapted there design to fit my application, I've only made two changes. 1. was remove the "cage" 2. Was narrow the track 4". So finger crossed :)

Jaguar-XJS-Group-44-928x509.jpg
cm21-9499-michael-holt-jaguar-xj40-xjr-14439688.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

All have same rear suspension, heavier than my car, and handle much better

Last edited:
The upper, Do you mean the Axles? There is no upper suspension arms. Changing the axle length would not effect caster only camber. The Caster was set using the jag factory angle from the "cage" all I did was adapt it to fit the car without the cage. That's why when welding the upper crossmember mount in I had to roll it back a few deg's = .5" roll to match there design but still have my axles center.
As to the question of camber there is no need the Jag rearend has this option built into the design. It's adjusted at the base of the axle where it meets the disc and caliper. There are a series of spacer that can be removed or added in order to get the +/- camber you desire.

Oops... Yes, I did mean camber, typed caster by accident. And yes, I also meant the half shafts, which are, in effect, the "upper arms".

Yes the forward torque arms are pretty heavy duty and are a solid to frame mount (bushing isolated at Diff mount ) but is also adjustable in order to have correct pinion angle (expected with bushings a 3* flex) these arms are long and set to account for upward torque roll as well as the upper mount. That mount I decided was better off copying jags fore and aft setup unlike the hot rodders of the 80-90's side to side style mount. This also helps with the side to side motion. Now I still have a few more bits I have to build to finish this. I have to get the lowers mocked up so I can build the lower strut arms, rear rods??, and coil over mounts. All will effect the limit in which the rear end will move under load.
I knew going into this that I wasn't as smart as the designers of the suspension so I only adapted there design to fit my application, I've only made two changes. 1. was remove the "cage" 2. Was narrow the track 4". So finger crossed :)

Didn't realize there are lower strut arms (rods?) yet to go. I did know you still have to make the upper shock mounts. Anyhow, it is still a fantastic job. Keep going. Faster, faster...

Mike(y) B

I know you had showed your boy's livery and color choices for the car. It would be kinda cool to paint it in the Group 44 colors. They were some fantastic cars and competitors.

Mike(y) B

I want to keep the livery much the same as the Plymouths campaigned in Europe in the 60's but change up the color because I don't want it confused with or as clone. And I figured his pick was spot on!
Duncan Pittaway and Justin Bell - 1965 4414cc Plymouth Barracuda.jpg
Plymouth-Barracuda-9722.jpg
18s09sm6hbryujpg.jpg
TA66MarlboroVSMiniAustin-vi.jpg

Didn't get anything done last night, I crapped out and sat on the couch with the wife and kid...
I did get the bottle filled though.... A full bottle is a happy bottle..

View attachment 1715061896

Also was able to order a new tail housing for the 46RE that will allow me to run both the speed sensor and the speedo cable on a later model 46re...
:thumbsup:
This will allow me to run both the stock speedo gauge and also all the elc plugin's need for the computer and tuning :steering:

View attachment 1715061903
What year to year is that extension housing from if i might ask? I am looking at swapping in a 42RH, but want to keep the mechanical speedometer.

Well had a stroke or odd/bad luck this weekend. I assembled the passenger side lower arm with axle to check my measurements Before I finish weld the lowers and thank god I did. As I compressed and moved the suspension to check tire and wheel fitment and bind and all. I noticed the top of the wheel falling inward. Way to much camber!?! So I grabbed my driver side lower and double checked then triple check all my measurements then I got under the car and triple checked everything... I couldn't explain the problem, something was wrong... Then it hit me I never check what I took for granted... So I grabbed my stock axles and measured then from center to center 16 1/8" then I grabbed the new axles 14 7/8" (should be 14 1/8") and my heart sank... they're 1/4 too short.. ugh
-Now for the cool bit, I have yet to finish weld the lowers. I can easily pull them apart and make the adjustment need to make it all work. I can fudge the wheel fitment with a 1/4" wider spacer for now and in the future run a deeper offset. no biggie! As for the suspension I have a ton of room, nothing hits binds or interferes with movement action or cycling of the anything... limited on free time due to the busy work schedule this month, and kids birthday weekend after next, but will make a good effort to remedy the situation and have a good mock-up soon.

20180920_191605.jpg
20180920_191611.jpg
20180920_192021.jpg

Last edited:
Got an Email from Dakota Digital today. They sent me a rendering of the gauge placement in the pod.
I asked for a stock'ish look. Black face with White lighting, Red needles but I wanted a tach included.

20180910_114843.jpg

65 CUDA.jpg

Basically this but all round and inset in the cluster frame.
prdp_3069.jpg

So I have been playing with these lower arms a bit now and finally got them set where I like them and can adjust camber +/- to my liking.
I've fixed the length issue and have shimmed the axles and at the moment I'm looking at -1* camber (track worthy) I also jumped online last night and ordered more shims so I can take it to 0* or + if needed. I'm happy with this setup and will be moving forward from here. Tomorrow I will do the final weld of the lowers, I'll also get everything set up to do the upper coil over mounts, start the lower strut rods, and I'm still on the fence about the rear rods.
Here are some pic of where I'm currently at.

This is before the shims added, it was at -2.5* to -3* camber
20181009_191525.jpg

This is with shims added, I was able to take it to 0* or neutral camber which is perfect for street application which is wear I think I'll set the car.
20181009_193445.jpg
20181009_193503.jpg

After seeing the out come from the passenger side I figured I should test fit the drivers. I was off a bit about 1* so I ordered some shims last night so I can get both sides equal and set. Hoping to have this damn thing sitting on it own rear suspension soon. Getting tired of looking at it in the air, I would like to roll it out and clean my garage soon...

20181009_203103.jpg
20181009_203331.jpg
20181009_203408.jpg
20181009_203351.jpg

Lowers finished welded and coated. Bushings installed and mounted! Starting the upper spring perches this week, flying to Atlanta Ga on Thursday be back Tuesday so hopefully able to fab up a mount by next weekend... Diff is mounted and in solid, still on the fence about the lower torque arms. Not sure how I'm going to make them workable.

20181019_143102.jpg
20181019_143113.jpg
20181021_130353.jpg

20181021_130337.jpg

Subscribed! Excellent work - nice job all the way around.

Tossing around the idea of electronic assisted steering. I have found a few diy's and the needed parts for not as much as the going kits I think I may jump on this here in the near future now that the rearend is just about finished. Going to try and finish up the upper shock mount this weekend and coming week.

If you've dealt with or been looking into the elc assisted steering chime in I would like to know the 411

-
Back