1965 MMP's Barracuda Hemi swap! The Ever Changing Build

-
Nice work. Sounds like you are motivated to get this hemi up and running. I like it. Please tell the member that purchased your mag blower manifold to start a thread when he/she gets to using it. I would appreciate seeing that project finished out.
Yes very motivated for sure. As for the guy who bought the supercharger kit. I'd rather let him decide if he want us all to know who he is. I'm sure we'll see a build continuations pop up here on the forum.

Now to some more fun stuff. I got home to day from work and had the manifold waiting for me. I got a set of Durango/GC manifolds. When mounted they fit just inside the plane of the valve cover, this will help so much in the fitment within the fender wells. I'm told I'll need to shave the corner of the frame near the fire wall to allow the exhaust to pass by. @TheGreatGazoo mentioned in another thread that these are the manifold he used for his build.
20210624_180958.jpg
20210624_181120.jpg
20210624_180925.jpg
20210624_180914.jpg

Dang! :( Sorry Randy acted like a dick when you called. The only time I have ever talked to him was at a Mopar show in Myrtle Beach a few years ago. He was very nice at that time, and answered all of my stupid questions. If you can make that thing fit in the tiny engine bay, I have no doubt that you can make it run!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I will be adding the supercharger to my build thread once I get time to start working on it. I have a house to finish so dont think major work will get done on it till 2022. The 360 magnum is already set up with arp main and rod bolts and new rings that are gapped for power adder. Other than that it is a stock magnum longblock.

I will be adding the supercharger to my build thread once I get time to start working on it. I have a house to finish so dont think major work will get done on it till 2022. The 360 magnum is already set up with arp main and rod bolts and new rings that are gapped for power adder. Other than that it is a stock magnum longblock.
Nice. Link your thread when you start on it.

That is an odd, subtle color. I really like it. What is it?

Excellent. It looks great. If you find out a color code when you pick it let us know.

Been super busy now that everything seems to be opening back up full speed ahead. Haven't got the car back but I'm days away. Fingers crossed for this coming weekend. I've been collecting the parts I need to do the new swap and modding part I know needed modded. My painter has been sending me progress pic's to make me salivate.
This post is more of a photo dump at the moment.
IMG_6391.jpg
IMG_6390.jpg
IMG_6320.jpg
IMG_6284.jpg
IMG_6285.jpg
IMG_6286.jpg
20210722_072025.jpg
20210722_072015.jpg
20210722_071904.jpg

Last edited:

Hello, So I was able to pickup this 65 Barracuda. I plan on doing a track-able street car inspired by the European Group 1 touring cars of the late 60's and early 70's . This is my intent, But like most of my builds and idea's I tend to be completely all over the map. I want a "retro" or meld of what I see in my head with new with old, and not quite what the norm on a budget "build".

Here's kinda how I have come to this point..
When I was younger I had a 69 barracuda while in the Marines and it was geared more for street n strip work. Sadly it was stolen a few years after this picture. :-(
View attachment 1714955696

After this I found the joy of track racing. I love watching and I love the history of the cars.
I found myself enjoying the older iron, and got heavy into the DTM of the 80-90's fell in love with the Merc's and bmw of the time, as wells as the Aussy V8's. I've built many BMW e30's for track and opened a shop building strokers and turbo builds for the bmw. But as always with a good things it passes with time. I found myself fighting the state on emissions and found myself cheating the system to enjoy my hobby/ passion. Finally the last shoes dropped when California adopted the Star smog program. Within Months of 2016 I had sold all of my BMW's and stopped building Merc' and bimmer motors then dropped out of the scene. I and found self seeking out and buying smog exempt cars and truck. Until i came upon and bought my 74 D200 with a 360 and built the motor to pull stumps and it has now become the "ShopTruck"

View attachment 1714955709 View attachment 1714955711

Next I needed was a car to build into a screamer. Thankfully I was able to find the 65 barracuda. It started life as normal Socal car with 225 1bbl center console auto, and * hi option "variable speed wiper motor" lol
but along the way some one removed the 225 and replaced it with 78-82 318 small port, then added a 82 360 4bbl manifold and what looks to be a edelbrock square bore 500cfm? carb, and 1.5" exhaust out the back. Needless to say its pretty gutless. The Silver lining is some one swapped in a 8.25" suregrip rearend. and I have all the trim work...
View attachment 1714955717 View attachment 1714955718

Now that I have the car i did some interweb searching on vintage road race barracuda's and I found more than I was expecting :) and I plan on building the car to look as though it was built for this purpose Key word "look"
Under the skin I will have a sorted 99 Magnum fuely w/ SC setup. Evan from Magnum Mopar is rebuilding my Harness now and I have contacted FlyinRyan and he will be Mapping/ tuning the ECU.
At the moment the 904 will have to stand in till I can source a A518 tans ( I don't want to go fast on the street, I want to fly on the frwy)
I also plan on tri 4 link rear, Still undecided on the front suspension.
As for the cockpit, sadly look like a total loss missing more than most. So I will be doing a minimal track interior able to seat 4... I have kids...
Dash will be rebuild hopefully using stock gauges cause i love that look in a race car!
I have ordered both under dash and engine harnesses for the car. Yearone / M&H not holding my breath....hahahah :BangHead:
And lastly I plan on building the full exhaust myself. Headers, flow, mids and dumps. Thankfully I have been working in the after market exhaust industry sense leaving the Marine and I have picked up skills in this area. lol

The updates may start out slow, due to just moving into a house we just finished rebuilding, and my garage is partly a construction zone, but should be sorted out with in a week. finger crossed...

Gig line is off WTF? Great pix! Great looking car!

That looks amazing! I’m glad you’re stuffing a hemi in it. I want to come and look at it once you get it in the car. I just picked up a ‘64 Valiant 2dr HT 4spd car. I’m saving my pennies for a hemi swap into it. I’m doing a hemi swap into my ‘74 Stepside D100 starting next week. These things should be fun with efi and overdrive.

I’m sorry you had a crappy experience with Randy. I just dealt with him and he was awesome. He found me a high volume fuel pump when no one else could. Thanks to him, my mopar powered Studebaker is back in action.

Last edited:
So got the car back and I have been chomping at the bite to work on it. But it was also my 23 anniversary on Saturday. I did get some time with the car yesterday and was able to get the front brake lines started and also tried fitting the 545RFE. Looks like I have to shave about 2" each side from the trans cross member. I'll be doing that tonight. I should be able to get the trans in without major surgery. Once I get it to where I like it, then I'll drop the motor in for fitment and bolt up the trans once everything is happy I'll yank it back out and really start the build.
I have decided to remove the PST torsion bars and lower QA1 arms, and will be going with the @HemiDenny HDK torsion bar eliminator kit w/sway bar. Just have to save a few pennies before I can place the order.

Last edited:
-
Back