1965 MMP's Barracuda Hemi swap! The Ever Changing Build

-
Not doing much tonight, except working on the modification of the brake pedal. This should work out pretty good tho...

20211124_191522.jpg
FB_IMG_1637788497848.jpg

After staring at your pedal assembly....that is exactly what popped in my mind.

Welded up and cut the brake pedal yesterday. Also sorted out my steering rod, but not happy with the support. So that's been replaced and I'll post a pic of the new mount later today. Also did some work with the shift cable and shifter, awaiting on some summit parts coming in today. Worried I may have a issue with the trans detent pattern not matching the shifter detent pattern. The shifts are the same but the movement amount is not and I may have to get creative to make them match.

20211129_100903.jpg
20211129_100911.jpg
20211128_160119.jpg
20211128_160109.jpg
20211128_160050.jpg
20211128_155456.jpg
20211126_123937.jpg
20211126_123946.jpg
20211126_124013.jpg
20211126_124003.jpg

without the T-bars you have small block in a C-body room for the exhaust :lol:

Didn't get the steering back in or pictures of the support mount. Sorry I'll do it tonight.
I installed the newly painted brake pedal to check fitment and it all looks GOOD. I decided to go with the 74 dart pedal pad because it matches my new Fly by wire gas pedal...
Shusssha! don't tell the purest on the page, they'll get upset :mob:

Then spent the evening dicking around with the damn shifter, so frustrating. I have a feeling I'm going to have to modify my floor shift to make it work and I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that. ugh
I tried to match up the length between the pivot point and the attachment point on the linkage and the cable. But the cable has soo much slack in the line and is not working for short movements. I'm going to need to have more "throw" between gears on the floor shifter to match the trans D-tent locations in the valve body.... I was looking at stock jeep shifters maybe I can rob a shift arm n cable but its all plastic... grrr

20211130_181517.jpg
20211130_182331.jpg
20211130_182344.jpg
20211130_213756.jpg

I like the brake pedal modification! How solid does it feel? Are you using the stock plastic bushings on the pivot? Only reason I ask is there's a guy on here that sell bronze brake pedal pivot bushings that may hold up a little better over time.

I like the brake pedal modification! How solid does it feel? Are you using the stock plastic bushings on the pivot? Only reason I ask is there's a guy on here that sell bronze brake pedal pivot bushings that may hold up a little better over time.

I have a CCP brake booster kit and it comes with a plastic bushing and steal inner race, but it doesn't match the pedal bolt so I have not decided what I'm going to do at the moment. As for the pedal feel its nice. A bit of flex from the booster as I was waiting till I had the pedal and steering sorted before I weld in bracing for the left side of the booster mount to the left side of the pedal / steering box. If you look in the pictures you can see a piece of Angle iron and 2 Allen head bolts. These will all be sold mounted to the pedal box for more rigidity once I'm finished under here.

Last edited:
Here is the revised steering support. The first one was cleaner and I would have loved to use that but the ball support was at too radical of an angle and would have been an issue in the future; But this works too.
Fucked around with the shifter a bit more last night... ugh soo frustrating:mad: Soo **** it! I'm going to button up the pedal box and booster mount. finalize the steering and mount the FBW gas pedal. I'll revisit the shift linkage later...

20211201_183057.jpg
20211201_183118.jpg
20211201_183109.jpg

My opinion only, but If it were my car I’d find a way to support the upper section of that steering shaft. Similar to what you did on the lower with a spherical rod end just above the universal joint.

Looking good! I like the lower ride height. My car sat a little lower and I drove it like a maniac! :steering:

On your shifter....in my Stude, I'm using a gm column with a 727 trans. I had to make a doubled up offset lever on the trans itself, in order for the column detents to match the trans detents. Basically, I put the column in park and the trans in park then started lining it up in the different gears. It's similar to your brake peddle. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Didn't get much done this weekend, had some house stuff to do. I did work on reinforcing the firewall/ pedal box area. haven't messed with the shifter setup, awaiting parts at the moment. I did get an early Christmas present yesterday. A set of QA1 coil overs from Denny at HDK. excited to get these installed! I do have a big update on the home front. My boy Jenson bought his first Car this weekend 69 vw beetle . So we have another project in the house. He has a plan and the interest. He's been saving money and wants to learn. Anybody got a 1600 dual port lying around?

20211205_104556.jpg
20211205_105028.jpg

Before I bought my Barracuda in 2009 this bug was my daily driver. I kept it until the Barracuda was running somewhat reliably and then sold it for 500 bucks to a friend. It was like a big go-kart, haha.

W976iQeEVGlTptp0P8PnJgA__Ra9a5JhvNLYDbxFzdHr-NKPbk-meVVjJRjl4udVS2p_4UGG=w640-h480-no?authuser=0.jpg

Congrats to the young man on buying the Bug! He will learn a lot on that car, as they are pretty simple cars to work on. If it doesn't already have them, get him a disc brake kit for Christmas. Those things are fun to drive, but they won't stop for crap! :eek:

Kool! There is some kind of VW/Mopar connection in lots of folks. I recommend John Muirs book as the first part or accessory purchase. It taught me how to relate to my Bug as a 15 year old.
B668EC10-BE2B-46DC-BD85-A7B5B6D33770.jpeg

No updates on the Barracuda at the moment.

Thanks for the feed back,
He's pretty excited about building it. He's got a plan and the drive to get it done. Now I'm not going to let his build hijack my thread but here is a few more pictures of him with the car this weekend.
20211211_131653.jpg
20211211_133042.jpg
20211211_142412.jpg
20211211_142955.jpg
20211212_094041.jpg
20211212_113501.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Very cool build. :thumbsup: Surprised I never saw this one before.
Saw your link over on FB A-Body Mopars, EPAS Steering comment.
Great fab work. Nice mix of modern to go with your classic Mopar.

Last edited:
So I'm hung up on the Shifter issue and been having a ****-taskic time trying to get the Stock shifter to work with the Damn transmission. At this point I've pretty much givin up on it and have been exploring other options like aftermarket shifter Lokar and Mr Gasket's floor shifter you name it and I'm just over the aftermarket crap and quality, even had issues with B&M's "heavy duty" cables. Broke down and ordered a stock Jeep Liberty cable and shifter thinking maybe it was the trans that was the issue and bam! perfect shift movement/ engagements... WTF? These parts aren't even for the Gawd damn 545rfe!
So with heavy heart I'm moving past the stock shifter and looking into using the jeep cable and shifter. My thought is I'll remove all the unneeded parts and material from the liberty shifter, shaving it down to a more usable size. Then I will use the stock console shroud as a mold and vacuum form heated plastic to make a usable shroud with the stock look for the jeep shifter. Got lucky cause the shifter arm is chrome and will except the "stock" 65 barracuda shift knob. So with a little work and elbow grease I should be able to get it close to "looking" stock'ish maybe!?!

-
Back