1965 Valiant 200 convertible (minor project)

-
The air cleaner showed up today. Fits the Carter just fine, and I confirmed that I can use the bail from the other carb. I'm also 99% sure the fuel inlet is the same. I found an O-ring in my stash and it worked perfectly as a seal for the base. I can also now run the road draft tube to the air filter. Oh yeah, I also installed the new PCV valve and grommet, so all of that stuff will be back the way Mother Mopar intended.
And, shhhhh..... don't tell anyone I'm running the Dodge decal on a Plymouth!

car o ring.jpg

air cleaner charger.jpg

air cleaner bottom1.jpg

Found this pic on the 'net. I see the rubber piece you mention; about 9 o'clock in the pic. Now...where to find one or is there something I can use in its place?

View attachment 1715916729

I had a missing rubber piece on my 66. I used a short piece of fuel ling (somehting like 5/16 or 3/8) to make the repair.

Got the plugs, cap, rotor and proper wires swapped in and, maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I swear it started faster and settled into idle easier than before. Haven't taken it for a test drive yet.

Someone had Autolite AP605's in there and I think they're too long. And I don't really see them on any interchange chart for the 225, not even the 1980 engine I have.
plugs1.jpg

I'd say it was time. L to R, 6 thru 1.
old plugs.jpg
old plugs1.jpg
Hope to get the carb swapped tomorrow or Thursday, and install the new distributor and check/set timing on Friday.

Finally checked mileage on a tank of gas with normal driving (mostly around town, back and forth to work) and all of the tune up stuff netted me 21.29 mpg! That's almost 10mpg better than my baseline.

Also got the Valiant and my '63 Bug out to a cruise in last night.
20220602_181414.jpg

20220602_181421.jpg

20220602_181328.jpg

received_757825935245835.jpeg

received_764063748090342.jpeg

received_1049003535716576.jpeg

Good to see you out enjoying your cars!

I just read through your posts. Looks like you have everything sorted out.

If you still want to pull your steering wheel to change your PRND21 bulb, you can "rent" a steering wheel puller from one of the Auto Parts Store chains like Autozone. You buy the tool (probably about $25) then get your money back when you return it. If you elect to keep the tool, it's yours if you keep it.

-
Back