1965 Valiant (4-door) Seat options?

-

J Glenn

Reaction score
I've got (and by *I* I mean "my wife has") a 1965 valiant with a bench seat in front. She REALLY does not like the idea of upgrading to, say, after market bucket seats... because she thinks that will look funny. (I disagree, but it's *her* car.) So here is my question: are there any bench seats with adjustable or fold-down back that would fit and look right? (I want the back-rest to adjust!)

No.

But you might could get her onside with a bucket seat swap by pitching the (huge) increase in safety if you swap in Chrysler Sebring buckets with their built-in modern seatbelts, after having the seats re-covered in correct '65 Valiant materials.

That is, Chrysler Sebring convertible bucket seats that have the shoulder harness built-in, and if you can find a pair of them that are the same color as your car's interior, then it won't look so bad.

Much to my surprise the safety argument is gaining traction with the wife! But if I put in bucket seats, there is no console... so what do people put there.

If using Sebring buckets, there is no room for a console. It is like a long bench seat as the bucket seats are so wide that they touch. Look at pictures of Sebring convertibles for sale.

The console was an option, many of these cars with bucket seats didn't have a console, just carpet.
Or you might be able to fit a '66 and up console.

If using Sebring buckets, there is no room for a console. It is like a long bench seat as the bucket seats are so wide that they touch. Look at pictures of Sebring convertibles for sale.
??? huh, my coffin console fits in there nicely. I have 96 Sebring seats front and rear in my 66 convertible. For some reason I just don't have a seat width view that I'd consider good. you can get a general idea of the width in one of the pic's though.
DSCF2882.jpg

DSCF4210.JPG
DSCF4210.JPG
DSCF4238.JPG

DSCF2882.jpg

plenty of room even on our narrow 63-66's

I love the power option ...... oh yeah the seat-belts too!(done for my wife)

For those who don't like the look of Sebring seats (or cannot find them), here is a list of cars and trucks with SIRS (seat integrated restraint systems). The study you will pull up shows no statistical significance in injuries or fatalities using a SIRS car vs regular restraint systems in modern cars. Appendix B at the end has the list:
Seat Integrated and Conventional Restraints: A Study of Crash Injury/Fatality Rates in Rollovers

I also attached a PDF that has just the list instead of the whole article. I'm eager to see what people think of a BMW M3 convertible seat or an F-150 seat compared to the looks of the Sebring.

Attachments

• www_ncbi_nlm_nih_gov.1.pdf
    79.8 KB · Views: 193
My 64 Val vert currently is a bench seat. My console is a hunk of molded black plastic purchased from Auto Zone for $5. It'll hold a cell phone, GPS, 2 drinks, etc. It just sits on top of the carpeted floor hump so it can be thrown in the trunk if i want to appear "stock".
I have a pair of buckets from a 65 Barracuda that will go in sometime in the future without a console. The 64-65 mini console doesn't have much function. The 66 and newer coffins don't either and they are HEAVY. Anything I put in my cars have to earn their weight and a coffin is useless to me.

-
Back