1966 Barracuda 273 Valve Covers Querie

-
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the HiPo 273 Valve Covers with the nice aluminum cooling fins are compatible to use on the standard (non Hi Performance) 273 motor? Some one told me that the 273 HiPo motors had adjustable rocker arms vs the regular non HiPo motors and that the HiPo valve covers are dimensionally smaller inside & would not clear the standard rockers???? Thank you. Eric

one was painted black and had fins glued on top.....others were painted red.
001.jpg

1967-Mopar-273-Hipo-Commando-Finned-Valve-Covers.jpg

one was painted black and had fins glued on top.....others were painted red.
View attachment 1715483152
View attachment 1715483154
Thank you pishta for the reply to my querie but my question is ARE THE HiPo covers with the glued on fins compatible to fit & work over the rocker arms of my NON HiPo 273 motor in my 66 Barracuda??? . Also, my Barracuda motor original color is ORANGE, not Red. My 66 Dart 270 & 64 Dart GT Convertible both have the 273 in RED. Any help is appreciated. Thank you. Eric

Yes they will fit (all ‘66 273s had solid lifters).
But there are some model year differences in the center stove pipe and pvc mounts.

I tried to convey that they are the same stamping, just different color. Slight changes (tabs, stacks, EGR fitting) year to year but the internal volume remained the same as the 273-2 had the same rocker gear as the 273-4 unyil it got stamped/hydros in 68

I tried to convey that they are the same stamping, just different color. Slight changes (tabs, stacks, EGR fitting) year to year but the internal volume remained the same as the 273-2 had the same rocker gear as the 273-4 unyil it got stamped/hydros in 68
Thank you Pishta, for clearing it up for me. Sincerely, Eric

But there are some model year differences in the center stove pipe and pvc mounts.
Thank you for the reply re the valve covers being the same size internally. I do see that some years have two stove pipes (one each on the passenger & driver side for a breather cap and for a PCV/cup as opposed to other years where one cover has a stove pipe for the breather and the other cover has no stove pipe as it instead uses a rubber grommet into which the pcv is inserted. Is there a key or guide that tells what years & model Barracudas, Valiants & Darts took which style covers? I have a 64 Dart GT Convertible & 66 Dart 270 2dr hard top that have the two stove pipes for breather & PCV/cups but someone replaced my 66 Barracuda valve covers with Edelbrocks & I want to replace the Edelbtrocks with OEM Mopar covers but I do not know if it should use covers with one stove pipe & one PCV grommet vs covers that each have stove pipes. Thank you. Eric

There all the same.
Thank you Brian for the reply. The concensus is that they will fit. I am now trying to figure out the rhyme or reason why some 273 V8s came with covers that each had a stove pipe for breather Y PCV/cup vs others that had covers with one stove pipe and one hole w/ rubber grommet for the PCV. Thank you. Eric

The basic cover is the same. The 2 barrel and 4 barrel engines had the same adjustable rocker arms until 68. The HP 273's had the black wrinkle finish and the aluminum heat sinks from 65- 67 with different configurations of wiring tabs and stove pipes for pcv valves. Pretty much all small block valve covers will interchange.

1964-66 (top) definitely had 2 stacks: one for an oil breather and one for a 90 degree metal EGR valve. The rubber EGR grommet cover was a 67+ (bottom) piece. Also the C.A.P. (clean air package, --California) had a nipple on rear of air cleaner and oil breather for a connecting hose like the '67 motor has. Different part numbers
images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRoc4V6Ph6oco7CATD8nwMmZCwObB6zEF37FdRxVpPwZ2BxZ9-e.jpg

273-1-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to FABO, the correct color for your 273 is red. Ask here and someone can post some answers of correct paint codes

Can anyone tell me if the HiPo 273 Valve Covers with the nice aluminum cooling fins are compatible to use on the standard (non Hi Performance) 273 motor? Some one told me that the 273 HiPo motors had adjustable rocker arms vs the regular non HiPo motors and that the HiPo valve covers are dimensionally smaller inside & would not clear the standard rockers???? Thank you. Eric
PM sent

PM = personal message aka “conversation”... check the icon that looks like a letter

-
Back