1966 Barracuda factory power brakes

-

GSXcite

Reaction score
I have an all original 31K mile 66 barracuda. It has factory power brakes. The booster was bad, and not being able to find a rebuilt unit, I shipped it to booster Dewey in Portland to be rebuilt. I installed it with a rebuilt master cylinder, and no power brakes. Bought a new master cyl from his boosterDewey, installed, no power brakes. I have installed new brake linings, wheel cyl, brake hoses, turned the drums. No power brakes, and the brakes it does have, drag and won't release. Took it to a shop and they said the booster is bad. I can send it back to booster Dewey, but I have already got over $500 in this booster and I'm thinking of getting rid of the booster and going to manual brakes. I have read that to do that in a 66, the brake pedal requires modifications. Anybody know what modification is required, and what master cyl is needed? I hate the thought of modifying this car as it is a very nice low mileage survivor with all documentation, even the original buyers order from the dealer, but I have not been able to drive it for almost two years. Any thoughts?

IMAG0016.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

IF (and I’m saying if) the booster is truly bad, I’m sure Booster Dewey will stand behind his work and repair it at no charge. I’d give him a call and explain what’s going on and mention another shop’s comment about the booster. Other thoughts - Is the storage tank functioning properly? How about the check valve on the booster itself? If it’s not doing it’s job the booster can’t do it’s job. If the brakes are dragging, that might be a separate issue (adjustment) from the booster. Let us know what you find out. You might also contact Ulf @65dartcharger as he has the same working system on at least 2 or 3 of his 65 Darts. He should be able to provide some insight as well. BTW Nice looking Barracuda!

I agree with all of the above. There is adjustment of rod from booster into master cylinder that can cause dragging brakes.

Firs of all, dp you have any brakes at all? I just helped a friend of mine installing a complete setup on a 65 Signet. After adjusting it still wasn't good. So I adjusted the rod but no progress. The I took off the lever between the m/c and the pedal arm. It was 3/8 short when I compared it with the lever from my Dartcharger. The reason might be that these power brake setup was leftovers from GM. They used it on 1958 to 1960 GM cars and their levers was shorter.
So check the lenght on the lever on you car and I will measure mine.

keep the power brakes, they are nice. Just call him up and tell him whats going on. Rest your foot on the brake, when you start the car does the brake pedal sink down a little (vacuum assist working) ? After you shut the car down and push the brakes can you pump the "assist" out of them (getting harder and harder until its a rock)?

IF (and I’m saying if) the booster is truly bad, I’m sure Booster Dewey will stand behind his work and repair it at no charge. I’d give him a call and explain what’s going on and mention another shop’s comment about the booster. Other thoughts - Is the storage tank functioning properly? How about the check valve on the booster itself? If it’s not doing it’s job the booster can’t do it’s job. If the brakes are dragging, that might be a separate issue (adjustment) from the booster. Let us know what you find out. You might also contact Ulf @65dartcharger as he has the same working system on at least 2 or 3 of his 65 Darts. He should be able to provide some insight as well. BTW Nice looking Barracuda!
Thank you, I will check out the rod.

Thank you sir.I'M going to pull it off again and see if I can figure it out, if not send it to Dewey. They did the rebuild three years ago, but I couldn't work on it for over two years due to injuries I had from being rear-ended on my motorcycle. I believe the check valve and canister are good.

-
Back