1966 Commando 4 bbl Carb.

-

68 CUDA FORMULA S

Reaction score
Are there any new out of the box 500 cfm or 600 cfm manual choke, manual secondaries carbs that will bolt up to a 1966 Commando intake without using a carb spacer?
Thanks
Bob

I am using the 1403 Eddy (electric choke/ 500 cfm) but the intake is Offenhauser so there is no secondary valve restriction. The 1404 ( manual choke/ 500 CFM) would have the same problem with the secondary size. I hear a small amount of machining can open those up and work fine... but of course not a quick bolt on job without the spacer.

I have been looking at both the Holly and the Edelbrock. I was thinking about the HLY 0-4776S and the EDL 1902, 1905, 1404, and the 1405 all with manual chokes and manual secondaries but all require an adapter plate to bolt on the stock factory commando 273 intake. I think I am just going to use the plate and go with the HLY-0-4776S and be done with it, this was my first choice and I think my best.
Bob

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Commando come with a Carter AFB ?
Something to keep in mind is that an Edelbrock is basically a Carter. All the factory fuel lines and linkage/kick down bolt right up, with the help of an Edelbrock Chrysler bracket #1481. Not so much with a Holley. Plus the set and forget ease of an Edelbrock, make this a no brainer. I'd go with the Ede 1405. 600cfm, manual choke, vacuum secondary. That Commando will be screaming.
But then again, its your car. :)

FWIW, a 1403 Eddy (electric choke, 500) fit my ‘66 without an adapter.

I'd just pull the intake, and spend 10 minutes in the mill, or 5minutes with a die grinder.

-
Back