1966 Dart Ballast Resistor Not Used?

-

coalman

Reaction score
What do you use to connect the R5, J2, J2A and J3 wires where the Ballast used to be, when running a electronic ignition? I just have them ganged together with male and female spade connectors right now, the car came that way. Thanks

What do you use to connect the R5, J2, J2A and J3 wires where the Ballast used to be, when running a electronic ignition? I just have them ganged together with male and female spade connectors right now, the car came that way. Thanks
Are you using a pertronix?

Jake

I think it is a newer Chrysler, Black and Orange wires, gray cap, no I.D.. Thanks for reply...

More info and pics would help. Can I assume you are referencing the bulkhead wires?

Yes the wires that went to and from the ballast at one time. Here see if this picture helps? Thanks

IMG_0045.JPG

Can not tell much from the pic. Are referring to the original bulkhead positions when you say R5, J2, J2A etc?

Can not tell much from the pic. Are referring to the original bulkhead positions when you say R5, J2, J2A etc?
J2 is IGN 1, starter switch, R5 to IGN side of Reg. J2A, out of ballast to plus side of coil, J3 out of ballast to IGN 2 to starter switch. Thanks

Well with the Chrysler box, nothing should have changed with exception of the addition of the +12v feed to the box. The ballast should remain and possibly upgraded as with the kit.

You need to get the part number on that coil. Most people think "just cause" it's an MSD coil it needs no ballast resistor. That's not true. You need to make sure it's not for use with an external resistor. If it is, it should have one.

I run a Pertronix III today after many years of a Chrysler box. Still have the ballast for Original looks and wire connections but bypassed on the hidden side with solid 12Awg jumper. All Ignitions are not equal and to my knowledge all Chrysler boxes use a ballast. Coil choice may effect this as the last upgrade I did was long ago.

You need to get the part number on that coil. Most people think "just cause" it's an MSD coil it needs no ballast resistor. That's not true. You need to make sure it's not for use with an external resistor. If it is, it should have one.

THIS

The car has a Street Fire CDI Ignition P/N 5520, installation instructions recommend to bypass the Ballast Resistor. I was thinking of doing what 1969383S did just to clean up the installation. The motor runs fine, this is the fourth year I have had the car. Thanks for all the input.

I run a Pertronix III today after many years of a Chrysler box. Still have the ballast for Original looks and wire connections but bypassed on the hidden side with solid 12Awg jumper. All Ignitions are not equal and to my knowledge all Chrysler boxes use a ballast. Coil choice may effect this as the last upgrade I did was long ago.

Do you have any advice for doing the 12 gage jumper? I purchased one and plan on doing it. Thanks

-
Back