1966 Dart Rear Brake Wheel Cylinders???

-

coalman

Reaction score
Is it possible to have 9" wheel cylinders on a 10" backing plate, I need to change one out and was surprised that it wasn't the shape of the 10" wheel cylinder, but the 9".. Thanks, need some help on this!!

8.75" rear-ends were not common on A-bodies, so not surprising. BTW, you didn't even tell us the year and model. Perhaps look at C-bodies on rock (Newport, New Yorker) since all those used 8.75" rears. But, you also want the proper piston diameter for your car, or could go a bit larger if you have an adjustable proportioning valve to fine-tune it, which is good regardless since nobody runs the factory tires anymore.

Here is a picture, the rear wheel cylinder looks like it might be out of a Dodge Dakota, what do you think?? Thanks

IMG_0490.JPG

IMG_0490.JPG

Have another question, the side I have the picture on, has the smallest bleeder valve I have seen, anyone have any knowledge on this??? Thanks

Have another question, the side I have the picture on, has the smallest bleeder valve I have seen, anyone have any knowledge on this??? Thanks
Tiny 1/4" bleeders were/are common on the older stuff. The older shoes simply had a blade that contacted the w/c piston, the later style shoe/wheel cyl. used a "ball & slot" strut
between the shoe & w/c piston. Chrysler redesigned the 10&11" shoes around '76, AFAIK the 9" stayed the same. & No, the bolt spread is wider than a 9" by a bit, so no swappy
w/o some custom "engineering".

Thanks for your input, I don't think the Dakota even used the 8.75. The wheel cylinder is coming out this week, my first try will be a new cylinder for a 10" drum off of one of the B or C bodies... Thanks again

Well, I installed a new wheel cylinder from the local parts store, that was for 66 Dart with 10" drums, and front disc brakes. It fit fine, still had a 1/4" bleeder. Have a question, the bolts to the back plate in the wheel cylinder hardly touch the back plate, and the old one was the same. The other wheel has what I call a cap bolt, with a built in washer, that does a lot better job holding the wheel cylinder to the backing plate. Anyone know what is going on here??? Thanks

The 66 wheel cylinder you have was probably for a 7.25" rear-end, which may be a different backing plate than for 8.75" rears like yours. As I recall, the rear wheel cylinders on my 1965 Dart (10" drums & 7.25" rear) have an oblong bulge, similar to what the post photo shows. The bulge fits tight into the hole in the backing plate as I recall, which helps secure it. I would change both sides to the better bolts if I was you. Did you try browsing Google Images for various backing plates?

The 66 wheel cylinder you have was probably for a 7.25" rear-end, which may be a different backing plate than for 8.75" rears like yours. As I recall, the rear wheel cylinders on my 1965 Dart (10" drums & 7.25" rear) have an oblong bulge, similar to what the post photo shows. The bulge fits tight into the hole in the backing plate as I recall, which helps secure it. I would change both sides to the better bolts if I was you. Did you try browsing Google Images for various backing plates?
Two different part stores carry the same brake cylinder, both call out that it is for the 66 with 10" drums and disc brakes, I installed a couple of washers on the new cylinder. I am going to shop for some new bolts with the washer being part of the bolt head. Thanks for your reply....

-
Back