1966 Dart Steering Problem?

-

coalman

Reaction score
Anyone out there ever have a popping sound and feel interference in the steering column by the steering wheel? Thanks a bunch

What has been changed recently? Has this recently occurred? Or always?

Dave

Thank you both, I have checked the center link, more than once, does not seem to be the problem. I have had this problem on and off for awhile, seems to be worse, it sure feels like it is in the steering column. I wonder if something is broke in the column? The directionals work fine. Thanks

Thank you both, I have checked the center link, more than once, does not seem to be the problem. I have had this problem on and off for awhile, seems to be worse, it sure feels like it is in the steering column. I wonder if something is broke in the column? The directionals work fine. Thanks
Have you ever noticed if it’s worse on acceleration? Also might check the bearings in the column.

I am going to raise it up and take a look at everything underneath, again... Thanks

Steering coupler loose? Let me see.....bearing at the top and bushing at the bottom? It has been so long I can't remember.

I had it up on jack stands under the lower control arms and ran the steering full left and right, didn't feel anything. Put the tires on some skid plates and felt the interference. There is and indentation in the left rear side of oil pan for the center link to clear and the clearance is very tight, but it is not taking any paint off the oil pan. What do you all run for suspension height and how much clearance do you have between the upper control arm and the rubber bumper? Thanks

Bad Bearing(s) I believe there's a set of bearings in the steering column beneath the steering wheel also?
upload_2019-4-15_19-11-3.png

Last edited:
There is a lot of difference between a loaded suspension and a unloaded suspension and with no physical interference that you can see. Any joint that moves can cause a noise or drag.

I installed a new borgeson steering gear in 2016, don't think that is it. I don't remember any drag in the steering column when I was changing it out, I will just keep trouble shooting it. Thanks to all..

I had it up on jack stands under the lower control arms and ran the steering full left and right, didn't feel anything. Put the tires on some skid plates and felt the interference. There is and indentation in the left rear side of oil pan for the center link to clear and the clearance is very tight, but it is not taking any paint off the oil pan. What do you all run for suspension height and how much clearance do you have between the upper control arm and the rubber bumper? Thanks
Ball joints binding? Or tie rod ends? Ride height will not affect center link.

Has anyone made some skid plates for the front, so you can get it up high enough to run the steering through and see what is going on with the steering system? Thanks

I am going to pull the steering wheel and column, any tips? Thanks

-
Back