69 Cuda 440

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Part I

In the spring of 1966,

Mopar (Dodge) in an attempt to get a factory performance car in the
Fun Junior Stock Class of D/Stock, rushed to get something prepared for
the 1966 NHRA Springnationals (June 1966).

At the end of 1965 (C/Stock = 10.60 - 11.29 Wt/HP) had a class record of
13.03, which seemed as a possibility for a Modified 273.

This class was getting dominated by the new 1965 289/271 HP 'HiPo' Ford
Mustang Fastbacks, and 1961 Corvette's with the dual-quad 283/270 HP
combination.

In 1966, the (10.60 - 11.29 Wt/Hp) Bracket would get changed to D/Stock.

But, at the 1966 NHRA Winternationals, the new D/Stock Class (10.60 - 11.29 Wt/HP)
had its record dropped to 12.98 by a 61' Corvette.

This is what the 1966 D-Darts would be going after.

1961 Corvette's with the 283/270 HP (Code #CU Engine)

This one is the 1966 D/S National Record Holder @ 12.98

Paul Albert (Reading, Pennsylvania) 'Rapid Rabbit'

RapidRabbit61-1.jpg

R/T,

It was my belief, that Dodge (Chrysler Performance) bit off more than they could
chew by attempting to go after the D/Stock Class at the 1966 NHRA Springnationals.

The 61' Corvette's 283/270 HP in Pennsylvania were more than capable of running
under the 13.02 Record at the beginning of the year, and then the 12.98 Record
by the Springnationals.

Dodge should have built an 'E-Package', with a 273/260 HP engine for 1966, as the
E/Stock Class record was 13.17 at the beginning of the year.

A camshaft, valve train, aluminum dual-plane high-rise and Holley Carburetor would
have worked, just a little smaller size than the 275 HP D-Dart package.

A set of 'special' 273-X cylinder heads would have been nice, with larger port
passages (15% bigger), factory installed teflon seals and #260 lb. rated valve-springs.

That would have been the package for E/S in 1966.

Camcraft,

Produced the camshaft for the D-Dart engine package.

.495/.505 (Lift) with 284* Duration, and 60* Overlap

th

The best running 1966 D-Dart in the country.

13.00's @ 108 MPH

2942 lbs. with a 273/275 HP 'D-Dart Package'

thepolitician01.jpg

OMG, I haven't seen that pic in years!!! A very good friend of mine (Ralph Costa) drove that car for Teddy.
They raced several cars under "The Politician" name, even won Indy. Sadly he passed away several years ago :sad8:

Ratman,

That D-Dart was featured in the May 1967, Super Stock & Drag Illustrated Magazine

Below, Ted Spehar shows off the 1966 D-Dart.

magart2.jpg

This is a fun thread! I'm enjoying the heck out of it and I am adding ot my D Dart picture folder. Lots of good info 69 Cuda 440. tmm

Ratman,

That D-Dart was featured in the May 1967, Super Stock & Drag Illustrated Magazine

Below, Ted Spehar shows off the 1966 D-Dart.

magart2.jpg

Thanks 69! I was just thinking of Ralph the other day, I have a pic of him and I together crusin' down Woodward side by side. I miss him dearly! He actually introduced me to Teddy at a car show we went to, just listening to the two of them talk about the "Old Days" had me riveted to say the least. They where both about ten years older than me and they were heroes to me but they never thought of themselves as anything other than just a couple of Gearheads.

I noticed Ralph's name at the bottom of the article, do you have the complete article? If so, I'd love to get a copy if possible?

Thanks for making my day!!!!!!!!!

Ratman,,,,,,,,

Ralph also drove a 65' Barracuda called 'The Politician', and won his Class at the Indy Nationals.

As for the 1966 D-Dart, it ran a best of 12.91 @ 106 MPH in 1966.

The D/S record was lowered to 12.78 in July 1966.

The key to getting the car perform, get it down to the NHRA Specification weight of #2942 lbs.
These cars came through the factory weighing around #3100 lbs.

And, 5.33 gears were a must with the 'radical camshaft'.

Must'a made the Dart owners feel "pretty good" that they came within 2 hundreds of the Vetts with two 4's. Wonder what the Vette weighed?

Ralph also drove a 65' Barracuda called 'The Politician', and won his Class at the Indy Nationals.

Ralph ran several cars under the 'POLITICIAN' name, the last one being a 1956 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery. Which he had until he died a few years ago.
He cherished that Indy win more than anything. He had that trophy in his hair studio for all to see.

RIP to both he and Teddy, I know that they are bench-racing and smiling as I type this.

The 'August 1966' Car Craft Magazine 'Test Car'

From the factory, with added Cragar S/S Wheels (6" x 14"), and 8.00" x 14" 'Eliminator Prowler' Street Slicks

Performance with Charlie Allen at the wheel................14.33 @ 94.21 MPH

Lions Drag Strip, California

The only modification, a 3" steel bracket added to the pinion snubber, with the snubber at 'pre-load'
and with the car in 'static' position.

D-Dart66.jpg

Ratman,,,,,,,,

As for the 1966 D-Dart, it ran a best of 12.91 @ 106 MPH in 1966.

The D/S record was lowered to 12.78 in July 1966.

The key to getting the car perform, get it down to the NHRA Specification weight of #2942 lbs.
These cars came through the factory weighing around #3100 lbs.

And, 5.33 gears were a must with the 'radical camshaft'.

Per the time slips that I got from Ralph, "The Politician" ran a best time of 12.92 and best mph of 105.
Alan

Ralph ran several cars under the 'POLITICIAN' name, the last one being a 1956 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery. Which he had until he died a few years ago.
He cherished that Indy win more than anything. He had that trophy in his hair studio for all to see.

RIP to both he and Teddy, I know that they are bench-racing and smiling as I type this.

Ratman
Teddy is still with us --- Isn't he?
Alan

Though the D-Dart 'Test Run' was a respectable 14.33 @ 94.22 MPH, it was only the initial run
at Lions Drag Strip.

The Gearlord Club of Altadena, California did not perform any fine-tuning, as they did state that
the Dart was lugging off-the line, and did flatten out at High RPM in each gear.

Complaints were, that the Inland 4-Speed Shifter was impossible to deal with while power shifting
from 2nd to 3rd. And the transmission was not smooth in gear exchanges.

Only add-ons, the Cragar S/S 14" x6" Wheels, and the 'Eliminator Prowler' Street Slicks that were
8.00" x 14" (27.25" tall).

The Doug Headers, were installed for the test.

As per the Test Crew, with a proper ignition fine-tuning, and a Hurst Competition/Plus 4-Speed Shifter,
the D-Dart was capable of 13.90's.

DART-3.jpg

Eli Patrick in 'The Newcomer'

This D-Dart won it's class at the 1968 'Nascar' Drag Winternationals at Daytona Beach. The last major drag race event for 'Nascar'.

The D-Dart {Nascar Class in 1968} was classed in E/Stock.

newcome1.jpg

Ratman
Teddy is still with us --- Isn't he?
Alan

I heard that he had passed but I just searched for an obituary and only found this:

[ame]http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2010/06/29/obituaries/1601938.txt[/ame]

And this doesn't remind me of the man I met, so hopefully he is still with us :)

Ratman --- That's a different Teddy. Thankfully.

I bought "The Politician" D/Dart from Al Adam 10 years ago. We had it, my other D/Dart and my 64 Belvedere shipped down here to the retirement home. It's been parked in the garage ever since. It shows 367 miles on the odo. I'm sure that it's wrong. Got 24 time slips from Ralph plus a little info on the car. I haven't had any luck finding pictures of the car racing. Just the one in the pits that Ralph had in his trophy/car stuff room. The Golden Commando car carrier is in the background. I believe the sign in the quarter glass window was a "FOR SALE" sign.

Alan

Ratman --- That's a different Teddy. Thankfully.

I bought "The Politician" D/Dart from Al Adam 10 years ago. We had it, my other D/Dart and my 64 Belvedere shipped down here to the retirement home. It's been parked in the garage ever since. It shows 367 miles on the odo. I'm sure that it's wrong. Got 24 time slips from Ralph plus a little info on the car. I haven't had any luck finding pictures of the car racing. Just the one in the pits that Ralph had in his trophy/car stuff room. The Golden Commando car carrier is in the background. I believe the sign in the quarter glass window was a "FOR SALE" sign.

Alan

WOW, nice! Any pics to share? What does the Politician look like today?

I don't think the D/Dart projest was a 'Mistake'.....they just used the wrong car. They should have used a Barracuda. More weight over the rear wheels.

PettyBlueDart
Ask and you will receive .... I hope these pictures turn out. It's been a while since I've posted any.

Picture 1 -- The Politician in 1970 owned and raced by Jon Rasbach with Keystone KustoMags
Picture 2 -- The way it was when I received it with M/T Rader Wheels and "The Original" Rader Wheels. Different ribs on the spokes.
Picture 3 -- Today with 14" sbp Cragar S/S's in the front and 15" lbp Cragars in the rear.

Attachments

• As-raced-in-1970-by-Jon.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,206
  • DSC00498-for-web.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 2,042
  • 20120630_180945.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 2,030
A few time slips from back then with Teddy's notes on them.

Attachments

• DD-Slip145.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,963
  • DD-Slip148.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 2,020
  • MD-Slip153.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,998
-
Back