1966 Formula S Instrument Cluster

-

65 Dartman

1 of None 65 Dart Sedan Delivery
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
An acquaintance of mine has what he calls a 66 Barracuda Formula S instrument cluster. He says it has the factory tach and 150MPH Speedo along with the other gauges. He’s thinking of selling it so I’m thinking of buying. What might be a reasonable price on it? Oh and he has the sardine can that goes with the tach.

Up to you, However consider this, when will you find another one. The only ones I ever see here on the west cost are already installed in the cars. If I were selling one , knowing how difficult they are to find and I am not your friend, 500 bucks +. If I am your friend 200. I have found "thinking of selling it" means he wants top dollar. The price would also depend on the condition and if the tach works

I bought one for $175 off innerweb 2 years ago, without sardine can. Driver quality.

I bought one off Ebay earlier this year for $140, but the jerk boxed it poorly and it arrived smashed. I'll be looking for another at Carlyle soon and hoping to be in the $150 range

I sold a candy unit with the van and everything for $350 at the Nats, and that was with all of the dash trim as well!

Rt-eng.com has a upgrade board that fits in the sardine can.

I have that in my 66. The tach still jumps all over the place, even after adjusting the unit per the directions. At least it works tho!
I'm not so sure the overshoot is the fault of the rt-eng module. Before I ordered the conversion I used a function generator to exercise the movement and check operation. There was always some overshoot in the movement when swinging from 0 to 2 and 3 thousand rpm.
Tach converted, installed, and working. I'm happy.

My wife was looking at my Dakota Digital conversion they did in a 66 Barracuda instrument cluster
888782CD-F5A1-443E-AE4B-73F4B0EF8666.jpeg

.and then she asked why I needed 2! I said all I have is this one and she said “I think you have another one someplace in the storage building.” I will have to check the storage tubs. She is probably right as usual!

150 mph speedometer with tach along with the sending unit is rare. Keep in mind that these were also options in standard barracuda models as well, not just the formula S. I sold one Almost 10 years ago on eBay from a car i parted out, I want to say I got around $250 then for it

I would not pay a lot for the Formula S dash, the tach sucks, speedo
is harder to read (count the times you will be going over 120mph) and the standard dash has a VERY reliable and useful vacuum gauge.

I've seen good used sell for up to $800.00 for the can and tach.

Rare pieces if they work properly. But really cool when you have the whole Formula S dash. Vacuum gauges suck. LOL! Get it? They work on vacuum... Cracking myself up.

I've seen good used sell for up to $800.00 for the can and tach.

Rare pieces if they work properly. But really cool when you have the whole Formula S dash. Vacuum gauges suck. LOL! Get it? They work on vacuum... Cracking myself up.

What time is your late show? I hear you get a little “racy” during the late show!! :)

-
Back