1966 Valiant/Barracuda 360,What oil pan

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking and searching around at any info on what is the best direction to go in :coffee2:
Street driver (race on special occasions) 5k RPM's, so I don't think I need a deep pan :glasses7:
Part no. and pick up tube for a center dump pan is on my list of parts needed and my parts
list is getting very small now :cheers:

Any input sure would be cool :glasses7:

Is this a 392 pan with out casting #'ers ?
[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-STEEL-MOPAR-OIL-PAN-360-MOTORS-1972-AND-UP-/271428704242?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f326957f2&vxp=mtr"]Chrome Steel Mopar Oil Pan 360 Motors 1972 and Up | eBay[/ame]

I guess I must be on the right track ?

I guess I must be on the right track ?

looks like it mikey, just make sure u have the dropped (v-88) center link and u should be good to go.......

if u like i will crawl under mine and see what number is on her........but looks like your on the right track.....
higgs

looks like it mikey, just make sure u have the dropped (v-88) center link and u should be good to go.......

if u like i will crawl under mine and see what number is on her........but looks like your on the right track.....
higgs
Thank you hollywood :glasses7: I do have the drop center link and from all the posts I have searched there is two different center dump car oil pans (may be more) but I seen a post that one is better than the other for clearance :???: I will keep looking and thank you, no need to crawl under yours at this time :D

Do not buy a cheap chrome after market one that's made in China......I would find a nice used original and go with that....atleast it will fit :)

Do not buy a cheap chrome after market one that's made in China......I would find a nice used original and go with that....atleast it will fit :)

Thank you 66 :D When I find what I THINK.. is a good one I will post it up here first to be careful and not do that :color:

(2) "center sump" 360 pass car pans to choose from: the 392 and the 876. both sumps are ~8" long and on the 392 the sump starts ~4" back from the front lip and the 876 it starts ~2" back (this is from a plumb line vertical down from the front lip) and the 392 pan is what you need for an early A body and they use different pickups. EDIT I forget which of the 2 pickups (top/middle) are correct for the 392 pan

Attachments

• oil pans 001.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 463
  • oil pans 002.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 437
(2) "center sump" 360 pass car pans to choose from: the 392 and the 876. both sumps are ~8" long and on the 392 the sump starts ~4" back from the front lip and the 876 it starts ~2" back (this is from a plumb line vertical down from the front lip) and the 392 pan is what you need for an early A body and they use different pickups. EDIT I forget which of the 2 pickups (top/middle) are correct for the 392 pan
Super great info here for me and any other member Rapid Robert :cheers:
Thank you very much for the time and knowledge you posted up here sir :color:
This will keep me in line as I shop for a pan and pick up tube :glasses7: and if anyone has what I need I would be very happy looking at what you have :coffee2:

Thinking thius will be the right one for me, I dont see a part number ?
[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MOPAR-PERFORMANCE-PARTS-P5249061-OIL-PAN-CENTER-HUMP-FITS-273-318-360/141420119753?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3Defb1181b265f4c8b8701d51fc48069d9%26pid%3D100204%26prg%3D20140407115239%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D201203147682"]New Mopar Performance Parts P5249061 Oil Pan Center Hump Fits 273 318 360 | eBay[/ame]

Yeah, I got one of those and it won't even sit flat on a counter top, one side is not parallel and flat to the other.... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Great info there.

I'm going to put a 360 in a 66 Valiant wagon and am interested to see where this thread goes. Dart Doctor also needs this info for his dad's car build.

I've read posts that say you may have to bang a few "bumps" in the pan for steering gear clearance. I would test fit the block with the pan and motor mounts in, then put it on the ground and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock and see if there are any clearance issues. Look for tight spots and put some clay on the pan and turn the wheel from side to side to see how much clearance is between the pan and the steering gear as it turns. It's easier to bang the pan out now then when you are trying to do the final installation....

I wonder if the 392 pan needs the "extra banging" for clearance or just the 876, or both.

Or is there a reasonably priced aftermarket pan and pick up that will work?

It would be nice to get the pick-up tube numbers that correlate to the two oil pans.

Amen to that krazykuda, a pick up tube needs to be found for me as well, I am looking at this one if anyone what's to add there thought, A good member here has one I can by today.. http://www.race-mart.com/product.as...ZJnB94_gWWLwz2NUiboK-VsDL-kjZ6tjUaAo6t8P8HAQ#

Hey Memike. Summit has that pan for $10 less:

http://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=Milodon 30755

Mancini is only $6 less:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/stre360cesuo.html

Is this pan like the 392 or 876?

Amen to that krazykuda, a pick up tube needs to be found for me as well, I am looking at this one if anyone what's to add there thought, A good member here has one I can by today.. http://www.race-mart.com/product.as...ZJnB94_gWWLwz2NUiboK-VsDL-kjZ6tjUaAo6t8P8HAQ#

I don't like the smaller end of the miloden pick-up tubes. I prefer the larger stock style (more area means it takes more to clog/plug it.

You can order stock style replacement pick-up tubes through Napa for about $20 last time I bought some.

I never knew this pan difference, I must have had the correct pan the whole time because I never had a fitment issue and both were chrome pans. Perhaps the chromes use the 392 pattern for more interchange? I always used the thick biscuit "brick" mounts, the 66 and maybe the 65 Dart "Ice cream sandwich" looking insulators were about 2 inch thinner. Something to look into for extra clearance.

-
Back