1967 - 1969 Barracuda Tach Wiring

-

bc67barracuda

1967 Barracuda - Fastback
Reaction score
My mechanic has installed an MSD coil and distributor and my tach is not operational? Is this an easy fix?

Attachments

• DSCF5729.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 834
You need to go to the MSD site and browse around. They make a "tach adapter," but I don't remember if it works with the factory Mopar tachs

DO NOT hook your factory tach to the coil neg terminal as it used to be

Click on this link and call these guys in the morning. Dad had them redo his tach. I asked them if it would work with elec ignition as there are rumors that factory tachs wont work with elec ignitions. He said the factory tachs WILL work with elec igntions, BUT MSD is a problem, but I recall them saying its an easy fix. Dont mess with the tach, you could be into a $200 repair bill!

http://www.mrheaterbox.com/

In a normal elec ign or factory ign the wire goes to the neg side of the coil. Hope your mech didnt mess it up.

Here are some schematics from 67

Attachments

• 67Barracuda pass compartment (Medium).jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 812
  • 67BarracudaB (Medium).jpg
    70 KB · Views: 859
  • 67cudaWiringPage7.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,044
  • 67WiringPage8.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,215
The car is unfortunatley not an AC car. From what I can see there is a red wire attached to the negative terminal on the coil and a black and red attached to the positive. I will inform my mechanic NOT to hook it up and show him the schematic.

Attachments

• DSCF5743.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 655
Dont show him the schematic, that is a factory diagram, you need to contact Mr Heaterbox, ask for Brent or Brian, they are the owners(brothers) and will tell you over the phone how to hook it up.

Here is the instructions, BUT it looks like you may need to install a new board in the tach.

Attachments

• instructions_exact_reproduction_TB-MSD.pdf
    321.1 KB · Views: 529
Thanks for the instructions however the new board is if you have the MSD style ignition
box which I don't have. I am just running the MSD distributor and coil?

Thanks for the instructions however the new board is if you have the MSD style ignition

That is what Im saying I believe you CANT run msd with the factory tach, unless you do some "upgrades". If your tach is 67 its a one year only. Regardless, you could probably install the new board yourself for around $80 or have them do it and go thru everything with 1 year warranty for around $180. Give Mr Heaterbox a call they are about 2 1/2 hours east of me in Ontario.

MSD style ignition

I think the coil wires are swapped at the coil terminals. Also the tach goes on the -. The colors suggest it is wrong. Since your system is not CDI, most comments, posted are not correct..

I cannot tell HOW the coil is wired. Orange seems to be correctly hooked to coil NEG, but where is the red? Coil wires in the photo suggest that the original coil + wire is hooked up, which should be fine.

Is this your system?

http://www.msdignition.com/Products...rysler_318-360,_Ready_to_Run_Distributor.aspx

Your mechanic PROBABLY hooked the tach up to the tach output wire. This wire, in fact, may NOT be where you want to hook that tach. You in fact may want to hook the tach to the coil NEG terminal as original

The destructions show distributor wiring should be
orange--to coil neg

red--to coil + and to switched "ignition run" voltage

Page 7 of the destructions:

Attachments

• msd.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,134
Okay..thanks I will have to get together with my mechanic and go over what I have and show him the schematics as it could be a missed place wire as you indicated.

You in fact may want to hook the tach to the coil NEG terminal as original

Yes - the wire to the tach should still work from the coil. It's just a pulse signal.

If you used the MSD box, then you would want the MSD box's tach output. But you're not and my guess is that the dizzy gray wire is not for what you did. You just need to wire it like a mopar eu box or points.

-
Back