1967 340

-

340wedge1971

Reaction score
Anyone out there have a 340 block stamped 1967 ? I am looking to buy a 65' Barracuda with a 340. Here are the casting #'s off the block provided by the owner. M340 02058067 2780930-340-2. Obviously someone changed the engine but isn't there suppose to be a letter in front of the 2058067 instead of a 0?

I had him look 3 different times to look for the date code stamped in the block but he couldn't see it. He was getting frustrated so that didn't push it. He is a Chevy guy that took the Barracuda on trade so I really didn't want to let him know what he has if you know what I mean.

A block with a 67 cast date may well be a 68 model year engine... Remember the new models come out in June the year before...

It is reasonable to see block castings as early as May for a June launch... They need time to test out the block machine line and then assemble the engine before it can be installed in a car assembly plant in June...

How to ID a Small Block Engine Block:

the 340 was a "new" motor for the 1968 model year for Dodge and Plymouth. that motor WAS NOT available in ANY Chrysler product prior to the release of the 1968 models in late August early September of 1968. because the 340 was a new motor, i believe Chrysler established a dedicated production line/facility/department to produce those engines. the retooling and refitting of the production lines for the 1968 cars took place starting around Oct of 1967 so mass production of the 68 models could start. i guess it would be possible that a "1968 340 engine" could have been cast, stamped and assembled in the last few months of 1967 but due to the calendar and model year production, that "1967" motor would be for a "1968" car. i do not believe there is any such animal as a 1967 340 but it's possible. chrysler did all kinds of odd things in the first couple of "transition" months from one model year to the next - including using "prior model year" parts on the later model year cars until all the prior parts ran out. one thing i do know - "if" there were 340 engines stamped with a "67" casting date, such an engine block would be a RARE item!!

looking at your link to small block I.D. I found a mistake in the first page, The engine number interpretation 3782 is actually the julian date code, not the days of production,
3782 = Dec 5 1971.
So your 2058 = March 17 1967

I don't think the #'s on the front of the block are correct, I believe march is to early for the block and I have never seen a 340 block cast before June of 67

Last edited:
the 340 was a "new" motor for the 1968 model year for Dodge and Plymouth. that motor WAS NOT available in ANY Chrysler product prior to the release of the 1968 models in late August early September of 1968. because the 340 was a new motor, i believe Chrysler established a dedicated production line/facility/department to produce those engines. the retooling and refitting of the production lines for the 1968 cars took place starting around Oct of 1967 so mass production of the 68 models could start. i guess it would be possible that a "1968 340 engine" could have been cast, stamped and assembled in the last few months of 1967 but due to the calendar and model year production, that "1967" motor would be for a "1968" car. i do not believe there is any such animal as a 1967 340 but it's possible. chrysler did all kinds of odd things in the first couple of "transition" months from one model year to the next - including using "prior model year" parts on the later model year cars until all the prior parts ran out. one thing i do know - "if" there were 340 engines stamped with a "67" casting date, such an engine block would be a RARE item!!

I had 2 340's cast in June of 67, production of 68 cars started in July of 67

005.JPG

Curiously the M is for Mound road. 340's were built there from 71-73.(My 72' 340 has a M340 on it.) to be 68-71 it would have a W.The space after 340 usually says R or P for fuel type. I did see a 340 once in a brand new 75' Cordoba with a two Barrel.(back then I rented it, and the air cleaner said "340") So, it could be one of the last as well. Which side is the timing mark on? my book also said that some blocks had the seven digit series cas a part number, not 10,000 calendar. However, The Part number for the 68' short block does not match that number.

Wrong, 7/31 was typically last day of production.

Usually by then the new models are launched...

They stagger launches on platrforms throughout June-July so the engineers can cover the new stuff...

Pre production pilot builds are in May.... They can use some of those parts to line fill when they launch...

Show me a 67 340 and I'll show you my pet unicorn.......

we just DONT want to see you "pet your unicorn"....lol

Of course they have components produced well before launch dates... especially on new products. They don't just POOP the stuff out on Sept 1st !

I drove the new Acura NSX 8 months before production started .

June '67 340 castings would have been intended for the 1968 model year which started August 1, 1967 & ran until July 31, 1968.

I was looking forward to seeing that unicorn, never seen one before!

we just DONT want to see you "pet your unicorn"....lol

Of course they have components produced well before launch dates... especially on new products. They don't just POOP the stuff out on Sept 1st !

I drove the new Acura NSX 8 months before production started .

I thought that was funny awkward metaphor.:eek:
But I also thought it was just me.

Cars were released for sale to the public in early September 1967 for the 1968 model year. Might have been very late in August. I remember Labor day being a big launch point for all the new models along the car dealer row in our area.

look for a vin number drivers side behind valve cover on lip of block where the trans attaches. Maybe you have one. If it does, it Improves your chances of verifying it to be or not.

New models are generally produced weeks or months before launch. There will be a sea of cars waiting to be put on trucks and delivered to dealers.

Anyone out there have a 340 block stamped 1967 ? I am looking to buy a 65' Barracuda with a 340. Here are the casting #'s off the block provided by the owner. M340 02058067 2780930-340-2. Obviously someone changed the engine but isn't there suppose to be a letter in front of the 2058067 instead of a 0?
There was a 67 dated 340 block for sale here on fabo about 5 months or so ago! I tried to buy a block on craigslist around 7 years ago in KY. The guy said it was 67 dated 340! But he backed out. So the story is the first ones were cast in 67 for use in upcoming 68 models.

Last edited:
Anyway, there wouldn't be a 340 of any kind in a 65 Barracuda, so I don't understand the concern about the date code...?

My 68 GTS has a June 67 casting 340 also. See if there is VIN stamped behind driver side head, my 340 is stamped but not matching to my car.

-
Back