1967 Dart 273 alternator adjuster rod bolt hole location

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have seen a bunch of photos of the alternator adjuster rod being mounted on to the lower of the 3 bolts on the alternator bracket. Mine is using the middle bolt hold ( the one that does not tighten the water pump to the block. It seem like the most logical choice as it can be loosened without compromising the water pump seal.

My only issue is that the adjuster rod prevents the alternator from being tightened more than it is now as it interferes with the alternator. If I mounted it in the lower hole on the water pump there would be better geometry and the adjuster would not interfere.

What do you all think?

I thought about a shorter belt but the adjuster is about at its minimum now.

20180518_155018.jpg
20180518_154935.jpg

Mine is like this...
97C9DAF9-E257-4A43-A17E-81A5E473B9AD.jpeg
66EE82D5-90CC-4A32-9664-F830AF52A8E5.jpeg

I do agree with the fact adjusting belt may cause a leak. Been there done that. Sealant on bolt is about the only thing preventing the leak.
Guess procedure would be pull bolt and re-apply sealant every time you need to adjust belt.

Could add a shim under the middle bolt you are using now. Or bend the bar to create necessary clearance.

I have 74 Duster with 318 and my adjusting bracket is on the lower bolt where you're pointing to.

Once tightened, the water pump gasket shouldn't leak from loosening one bolt temporarily. Do coat the bolt threads w/ gasket sealant (stays pliable) on all bolts which go into cavities with coolant or oil.

I have had a leak there. The gasket let go.old gasket though. Was due to be replaced.

-
Back