1967 formula S convertible production

-

Reaction score
Does anybody know how many 1967 Formula S convertibles were produced?

Now, the totals for each engine are know but not by body.
Approximate 8.66% were 273-4 "S" cars (all bodies)
That being said, about 360

My guess is less, as I feel that convertibles were less likely to get a performance engine, again just my guess.

Alan

@chrgdrt
What is there to disagree with? Do you know something everybody does not?

Alan

Last edited:
I used to have a '67 Formula S convertible 273/904 red with black interior years ago that I bought at an insurance auction. Needed a bit of repair in the nose, but, a real solid car. Sold it as a builder. I probably should have kept it though. It was very solid and in great shape otherwise. One of many that got away and shouldn't have in hindsight.

I believe that there were only 3 383 Formula S convertibles, 2 4 speed cars and one lone auto. The automatic car was owned by the husband of a former member here, and she was selling the car here about 10 years ago. Documented and confirmed by Galen in the 90’s, it had been sitting under a tarp behind their garage when her husband passed away. He also had a 383-S notch that was his fun car. Anyway, the convertible was blue on blue with a blue convertible top, and it had the headrest option on the buckets. She was asking $12k, and it needed a lot of work, but it came with a stack of paperwork, and a lot of parts. I wasn’t in the position to buy it, but I sure wanted it. Maybe I can look back in my archives and find the pics and correspondence I had with her, she lived in Indianapolis.

There was a blue (not original color) 67 383/4 speed convertible for sale earlier this year in BC, Canada

I have a B7 blue 67 Barracuda convertible Formula S 383 4 speed restored back to nearly original condition.
I've been told by several Mopar guru's that because they had engine installation on the production line the 67 383 convertible numbers were weak
A registry currently shows 14 67Barracuda 383 convertible and the thoughts of many not a whole lot more were made.

IMG_2231.JPG

I have a B7 blue 67 Barracuda convertible Formula S 383 4 speed restored back to nearly original condition.
I've been told by several Mopar guru's that because they had engine installation on the production line the 67 383 convertible numbers were weak
A registry currently shows 14 67Barracuda 383 convertible and the thoughts of many not a whole lot more were made.

View attachment 1716029207
Still love yours zman, Im wishing i hadn't sold mine.
Wasn't a true S but shure liked it!
I hope the 65 valiant signet I'm now doing will just as nice.
Lon

Did they make a 383 barracuda in 67
yes a few thousand of them..but only about 80 383-s convertibles, 67 was the highest production year 1968 had 64 383-s ragtops and 1969 had a mere 17 ..here is my 68 383-s rag [1 of 24 ] automatics [40 were 4 speeds]

383-s.JPG

Here is one of the 17 69 383 convertibles. This is an automatic. Numbers match. Next to it is a 69 M code - also numbers matching. Both run

I believe that there were only 3 383 Formula S convertibles, 2 4 speed cars and one lone auto. The automatic car was owned by the husband of a former member here, and she was selling the car here about 10 years ago. Documented and confirmed by Galen in the 90’s, it had been sitting under a tarp behind their garage when her husband passed away. He also had a 383-S notch that was his fun car. Anyway, the convertible was blue on blue with a blue convertible top, and it had the headrest option on the buckets. She was asking $12k, and it needed a lot of work, but it came with a stack of paperwork, and a lot of parts. I wasn’t in the position to buy it, but I sure wanted it. Maybe I can look back in my archives and find the pics and correspondence I had with her, she lived in Indianapolis.
I know for a FACT that there are more three (3) 1967 383 Formula S convertibles Barracuda built.

I know for a FACT that there are more three (3) 1967 383 Formula S convertibles Barracuda built.
There were but no one knows for sure because the information was destroyed years ago in a fire. I looked at similar cars Chrysler produced in 1967 that were convertible with a 383. It appeared out of a total number of cars produced in a model about 2% were 383 convertibles. Now a person also has to remember that the 67 Barracuda 383 convertible was a half year build. They discovered that the driver's side exhaust manifold didn't fit properly and cut production time fixing the design. So, they estimate maybe 100 built in 1967. Out of those it's estimated 10-14 are still running. I know of two people with a 1967 Barracuda 383 convertible registry. One was nine cars and the other 14.

The 1967 record still exist. You can get a copy of the IBM car for your car, but cannot get all of them. There were 457 1967 GTS' built with an unknown number of convertibles (assumed by some experts at less than 20). There were 1,784 383 Barracudas in 1967. Convertibles were 6.8% of total Barracuda production. Even at 5% there would have been around 90 383 convertibles.

The 1967 record still exist. You can get a copy of the IBM car for your car, but cannot get all of them. There were 457 1967 GTS' built with an unknown number of convertibles (assumed by some experts at less than 20). There were 1,784 383 Barracudas in 1967. Convertibles were 6.8% of total Barracuda production. Even at 5% there would have been around 90 383 convertibles.
You wouldn't have an idea who/how to contact them would you??

-
Back