1968 ( 318 ) main bearings - Input requested

-

SS Lancer

Reaction score
Putting together a rather unique High rpm 318 and need good main bearings and wasnt sure the groups thoughts on King Versus Clevite ???
Thanks Chris.

Well, the Clevite 77's have a decades' long and proven record, and some options like coated, extra clearance sizes, etc.

IMHO, it is very worthwhile downloading the Clevite-Mahle online catalog and reading the introductory technical info.

I like Clevite bearings for my builds. I would also recommend a full oil groove if available. 65'

IMHO, it is very worthwhile downloading the Clevite-Mahle online catalog and reading the introductory technical info.

These should work I just need to mame sure they fit pre 74 blocks ###
I think 1974 the bearings size changed.

Screenshot_2019-03-06-10-11-59.png

There was a thread yesterday about a bad King main bearing. The OP contacted King and they wouldn't help him get a couple new bearings. I don't know where King Bearing came from but I haven't heard of them until a few months ago. Clevite 77 had been making bearings for decades and are high quality.

Yes the ms540h is for the 73 and older block . ms1344 is for 74 and newer. Is this a manual trans or automatic application?

Some of the local circle trackers run Kings; the Ford 4-bangers IIRC, turning some constant high RPM's. I am not aware of any issues. They don't have the long track record of the Clevites.... for what that may be worth.

I would not hold that oddball request to King to sell a single bearing set against them. They have specific distribution and production methods; if you want to go outside of that, IMHO it is not reasonable to expect them to do something out of the ordinary. Besides.... how would any mfr seller know if the end user did not damage it, and was trying to get a freebie? I am sure that was not the case here, but there are some folks out there that are pretty dishonest, and I don't blame any company or individual for not wanting to be stolen from.

Oil groove oh yes
Mandatory
This is why I suggest that you read the Clevite-Mahle technical info... they discuss the pro's and con's of the groove in the lower shell, at least as far as it relates to bearing survival. There may be other reasons to run a full groove.... but their info is worth having IMHO.

King bearings are hard and don't have the embedability that the clevite does, they claim the high silicon slippery surface is better. I still like clevite full groove better.

King bearings are hard and don't have the embedability that the clevite does, they claim the high silicon slippery surface is better. I still like clevite full groove better.

Mancini has these once I make sure they fit the PRE 74 engines I will get them thank you again.

Screenshot_2019-03-06-11-09-16.png

Perhaps a bit late. Clevite's are good bearing for auto trans apps. High RPM, stick shift.... Childs & Albert babbitt are the best I found. Make sure to dial in the bellhousing within 0.002" and use offset dowels to correct, makes high RPM shifts easier and parts last longer.
John

Chris the difference in SB and BB in 74 was the Width of the thrust bearings.
Main bearings for 318's changed in 1974 to a different thrust width, pre 74 used (for example) Clevite MS-540p with a max thrust diameter of 3.374 inch, then 74 on used Clevite MS-1344p with a max thrust diameter of 3.530 inch.

When you install that special built crank you will need to check the end play in the crank shaft.

I've used mostly King bearings in most of my latest deals. King offered bearings for the early Hemi when the other outfits ignored that market.

King is an Israeli corporation and have been making quality parts for decades...they are often the only source of bearings for obsolete engines.

I've used mostly King bearings in most of my latest deals. King offered bearings for the early Hemi when the other outfits ignored that market.

King is an Israeli corporation and have been making quality parts for decades...they are often the only source of bearings for obsolete engines.

You beat me to it. I was just fixing to make a similar post. I've used King Bearings in several things the past few years and not had trouble.

Perhaps a bit late. Clevite's are good bearing for auto trans apps. High RPM, stick shift.... Childs & Albert babbitt are the best I found. Make sure to dial in the bellhousing within 0.002" and use offset dowels to correct, makes high RPM shifts easier and parts last longer.
John
Thank you
I will have block at engine builders shop next week - time to order bearings .

-
Back